Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Hi Folks

The original wooden headliner was always the favorite part of my Bus over the years.

I just love that look.

For reasons that Id rather not get into, its completely garbage.

I haven't been able to find a good thread on replacing the bay window Bus Westy wooden headliner so figured I would try to document my work in hopes that it will help another Bay window westy owner in the future.

Also I'm sure now that I'm making a thread all you pros out there will come out of the woodwork with more tips to make all of our jobs go smoother. so thank you everyone in advance.

My original wooden headliner had become so moist and moldy that it had warped, it started to sag down so low you could'nt even sit in the drivers or passenger seat with out it resting on your head.

There was really no choice but to remove the old warped moldy original headliner.

Now I was able to get some great tips already from the split window forum and I'm well aware of their various threads documenting split window / early bus wooden headliner installs.

However since i haven't seen one here in the Bay Window Bus threads, I figured this would be a good topic for me to cover.

So lets get started, I hope it turns out nice for me and you

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Im going to apologize right now for not taking any good pictures of how bad this headliner looked. I thought I did take pics but turns out they are videos.

I do have these pictures below so you can get a bit of good idea of what kind of shape the headliner was in prior to removal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

I began to remove the old warped headliner by first removing the stiff rubber trim piece that goes all the way around the inside of the pop top area as seen in the picture posted above.

The trim was not glued on and came off really easy, in fact most of it had been falling off for years any way

For now I was careful to remove this trim piece as to save this piece because I may try to reuse it , If another new one is to expensive for my budget or unavailable.

However I'm sure a new one can be had.
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

To remove your old headliner (if you are lucky enough to still have one) Start by removing the the aluminum T-shaped 1 inch thick connectors that divides the large front and rear pieces of wood from the MIDDLE smaller left and right side wooden sections.

Then remove the small left and right side wooden sections.

the cargo door side small wooden middle section is what I started with first.
that one is easy.

BE CAREFUL DURING REMOVAL OF EVERY PIECE OF WOOD EVEN IF ITS DAMAGED BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED THESE LATER TO TRACE YOUR NEW REPLACEMENTS

Next remove the drivers side small middle wood section.

Now this one it tricky be extra careful due to the fact that it has your dome/camp light in it.

I was able to get my wood loose enough to reach behind the wood and disconnect the power wire (it slips right off of the connection) and a small screw was grounding the other wire right to the bus metal.

after which I was able to remove the whole section of wood with the light still attached and ill get back to changing over the light later.

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

As for the rusty cot bracket, you can de rust that by going to Harbor Freight and getting some Evaporust. Submersion is the best thing to do if you can, but you might have to get creative with what container you use. I used a polyethylene children’s snow sled to submerge my luggage rack bars when I did them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the smaller wooden middle sections, both drivers side with light still attached for later removal and The passenger/cargo door middle section.

also the aluminum ''T'' sections I'm referring to that should be removed carefully first.

Now none of these pieces are glued in.

They are just slipped into the small track on the bottom and held into place on the top by the stiff rubber trim piece going around the opening of the pot-top section

1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

once the middle sections are removed you can just pull both the main front and rear sections out, if like my bus you still have all or most of them available to be removed.

My wood was so damp, warped, and funky the original plywood had separated.

what was once a single 1/8 piece became 3 separate really thin sheets

here is a pic of what i had left of my front piece, it came out in pieces and I tried to carefully put it back together so I could get a good trace on some new wood

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

according to the thread in the split window forum (sorry no link) the wood you want to use is:

1/8 thick baltic birch it comes in 5ft x 5ft sheets and is available at many speciality hard wood suppliers.

I think I paid 30-40$ for three sheets. My local store didn't have any in stock but was happy to special order it for me and I got it in just a couple days.

Now this is where i'm kinda dumb founded. I tried to locate a pattern for me to trace exact new pieces onto the 5 x 5 baltic birch.

But was unable. I could not find a pattern anywhere.

I have located a few places to purchase new baltic birch headliner pieces already cut out, but obviously at a premium price. I think the guy was asking 800$

And yes I asked if he would provide a pattern to me for a fee but the answer was a hard - No

So I want to take the time right now to say :

I will be making a trace of my new cut outs onto something maybe cardboard (not sure yet) and if after installation, the headliner turns out good, and anyone would like my patterns just ask. No charge here just trying to pay it forward because it was very frustrating to not be able to locate a proper pattern.

Now having said that. I was careful to remove my old warped, moldy headliner because I knew my only chance was to get a good trace.

Since the 1/8 inch baltic birch 5x5 sheets are so affordable at around 10$ each, I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try with tracing.

I really didn't have anything to lose. My old headliner had to be removed anyway.

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

So I got my new 5x5 sheet picked the best looking side and laid it face down with my least favorite side facing up.

Next I began by carefully reassembling the old headliner pieces best I could on top of the 5x5 birch sheet.

Keeping in mind I'm trying to get a good trace. the old wood wasn't even laying flat so I used some large pieces of 4x6 lumber I had laying around to keep the old wood flat and from moving so I could get a good trace onto the new 5x5 birch.

The 5x5 sheet is large enough if you are careful with placement, you can also get one small middle section traced on the same sheet of baltic birch.

Below is a picture of my new 5x5 sheet of baltic birch with both the front headliner section traced and also one of the small middle sections as well.

You can see in the picture the new wood quickly got dirty from the old funky headliner and lumber i used to weigh it down. If you care to you could always sand it down to remove. But this is also why I recommend putting your preferred side face down to try and keep it clean to avoid sanding after.

I used a sharpie for the trace, but a ink pen would work well also.

I'm more than happy with how the initial trace turned out.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Erb Wink

Link

Nice job so far on the tutorial 1FineOLD69

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the bus after the headliner was removed.

You can see in the picture the dome light hanging. it was already just hanging down with the sagging old wood headliner prior to removal.

This dome light is an issue I'm afraid of facing when it comes to the install of the new wood. I'm not sure of the original placement of the dome light since it was already hanging and not connected to the bus.

Plus I'm not sure even if I did have it placed correctly, if during install it would effect the sliding of the new wood into place.

kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Looking forward to see what you choose for insulation.
1979 Kombi, Oliver wFI
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos w/FI
1974 Westy, Garfield w/ Dual Solex PDSIT
1973 Tin top camper, Bart
1974 gutted Dorper Casper w/ Dual Solex PDSIT
1975 Westy, Stella w/single progressive Weber
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope w/FI
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet w/dual Solex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

kinggeorge13 wrote:
Looking forward to see what you choose for insulation.

Me too , I was checking out Trashman's Build thread and I think I'm gonna use the same FatMat insulation and or the same closed cell foam heat and sound insulation.

Heres some pictures of what I can only believe is the original insulation that was only present in the front cab area when the headliner was removed.

I'm thinking I would like to install the new insulation throughout the entire bus prior to the headliner going in, I just worry if this will make the install a bit more difficult. Guess we'll find out

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

1FineOLD69 wrote:
I began to remove the old warped headliner by first removing the stiff rubber trim piece that goes all the way around the inside of the pop top area as seen in the picture posted above.

The trim was not glued on and came off really easy, in fact most of it had been falling off for years any way

For now I was careful to remove this trim piece as to save this piece because I may try to reuse it , If another new one is to expensive for my budget or unavailable.

However I'm sure a new one can be had.

Boil the trim and scrub. Many like simply green, I can't remember what I used, but it was similar. If it shrank over the years, you can't stretch it out while it's warm. New are are out there, pretty sure I have on WW one. Give a shout if you need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681515&highlight=wood+panel

This is a great thread with measurements of the panels.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681515&highlight=wood+panel

This is a great thread with measurements of the panels.

Great thread, thanks for adding the link
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

So heres a cool story I know you all will dig.

After i removed the old headliner that had separated into 3 sheets. I grabbed the best looking section to get a trace. As I was placing some lumber on the old warped section to help keep it flat on top of the new birch. I noticed something beneath the dirt and well mostly mold, so i began to wipe away the dirt&mold.

Well I was surprised to find this old doodle of what looks like a rabbit to me.

Now keep in mind this was in-between the very thin sections of OG birch ply, that were meant to be together as one. perhaps never to be seen again. if not for the damage to the ply and it becoming separated and ultimately removed, we wouldn't be looking at this today.

So here is a true piece of interesting history.

I think I'm going to cut it out and put it in a frame, maybe hang it in the bus. Not sure just yet but wanted to share the story with everyone

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

I used the finest jigsaw blade I could find to get the best possible splinter free cuts.

I also figured since I had quite a few long straight cuts, that I would get a fine finish blade on my circular saw.

Well the circular saw was a bit much and made me get off my line about a 1/8inch in a few spots. Shocked I think it will be ok and I'm going to just try the panel anyway before I just trace a whole new piece. If I had any doubt I would start over. The birch is cheep enough. Cool

So I finished up everything with the jig saw and would recommend anyone else to just take your time and do the whole job with a jigsaw and fine blade

Below is a picture of the jigsaw blades I used and my finished 1/8inch baltic birch cut out.

Im happy with how it all turned out. Laughing

So two 5x5 sheets of Baltic Birch yielded all 4 headliner pieces ! Very Happy

1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

Boil the trim and scrub. Many like simply green, I can't remember what I used, but it was similar. If it shrank over the years, you can't stretch it out while it's warm. New are are out there, pretty sure I have on WW one. Give a shout if you need.[/quote]

This is a interesting idea. So would you recommend me boiling this on install day just prior to installation so the trim is still warm and softer therefor easier to work with? And would I boil it in plain water or add simple green to the water?

I thought I recalled watching a youtube or reading somewhere about the trim containing a metal ''C'' shaped insert inside of the trim that you can forcibly bend back open with a flat head screwdriver for a better fit and then pinch back closed after its been installed. But can't find where i read that anymore
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my 1969 Bay Window Bus Westy - Wooden Headliner Reply with quote

1FineOLD69 wrote:
Boil the trim and scrub. Many like simply green, I can't remember what I used, but it was similar. If it shrank over the years, you can't stretch it out while it's warm. New are are out there, pretty sure I have on WW one. Give a shout if you need.

This is a interesting idea. So would you recommend me boiling this on install day just prior to installation so the trim is still warm and softer therefor easier to work with? And would I boil it in plain water or add simple green to the water?

I thought I recalled watching a youtube or reading somewhere about the trim containing a metal ''C'' shaped insert inside of the trim that you can forcibly bend back open with a flat head screwdriver for a better fit and then pinch back closed after its been installed. But can't find where i read that anymore

You can clean it any time and warm it again when it's time to install. I just let mine sit in the sun on the driveway before installing. I didn't need to clean mine, but have heard boiling, then simple green works on all the interior rubber trim. Actually, I did use it on the vinyl seats and floor, worked great. Don't know why adding simple green while boiling would be an issue.

There is something rigid in the gasket, don't know what it is but it doesn't interfere with stretching the gasket back to length. You can crimp it down as you install it. Mine has rusted that I can tell. Also, save the stretching for installation, that way you can stretch as it goes on - that helps avoid overstretching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: