Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

..... and why lowering questions need to become sticky .... Question Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you did there!

Question; how do you get rid of the RGB whine though??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ear plugs.

Next!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
Ear plugs.

Next!

Smile But they are illegal here (no ear obstructions including ear plugs, headphones, etc) allowed.

I was thinking of sound deadening, but that noise carries all the way forward through the metal.

On a more serious note, if you follow Porsche 356 engineering and logic; the front of a rear engine vehicle SHOULD be higher than the back for better handling and response. I think on a 356 this is easily shown by the old race photos. And on a bus, I've noticed that a stock bus seems to have a really light, easy steering too it. Whereas the same buses, lowered, need considerably more force on the wheel.
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like RGB whine. It's one of those perks that make driving a stock height split great.
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
williamblanda wrote:
Ear plugs.

Next!

Smile But they are illegal here (no ear obstructions including ear plugs, headphones, etc) allowed.

I was thinking of sound deadening, but that noise carries all the way forward through the metal.

On a more serious note, if you follow Porsche 356 engineering and logic; the front of a rear engine vehicle SHOULD be higher than the back for better handling and response. I think on a 356 this is easily shown by the old race photos. And on a bus, I've noticed that a stock bus seems to have a really light, easy steering too it. Whereas the same buses, lowered, need considerably more force on the wheel.

The RGB whine is a result of straight cut gears. It will always sound that way, and only gets worse with wear. I use ear plugs when I drive long distances, but mostly for wind noise. At highway speeds the wind is louder than the engine/trans. Look for Hearos ear plugs, they come in a tan color that is barely noticeable to the fuzz.

Low buses have heavier steering because they generally use a wider, low profile tire on the front. Depending on what was done to lower the front, the steering geometry can be affected and cause steering issues. Stock height buses that have low weight rating passenger tires also have a heavy steering feel.

Not sure about the nose high attitude and whether it helps with handling on a rear engined car. Have you read anything that describes this? I would be interested to read the science behind it.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tallest radial tires you can fit to keep your old bird up:P225 75 R15. Unless you have a barndoor,the same but R16. Hang em high! Watch em drive!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
I actually like RGB whine. It's one of those perks that make driving a stock height split great.

no radio and will keep it that way. If i need music ill just put in the portable ipod boombox and use that
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oarse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
The tallest radial tires you can fit to keep your old bird up:P225 75 R15. Unless you have a barndoor,the same but R16. Hang em high! Watch em drive!

Does this cause your speedometer to read slower than you're actually going? Very interesting. Wink
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good question. Typically with originall bias-plys the speedometer was and is accurate. With the radials the error margin is 2-6 mph. Slower than actual. These vehicles being "ancient" actual speedo readings differ. Us the hobbyist-bus lover's should have our speedo's caliberated. If not with these tall radial's keep in cosideration,2-6mph error. Reason being,they are wider. Keep driving. Enjoy. Drive em high!
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most epic thread ever. Smile
Mr white... just run bias plys. The bus will be happier and you can enjoy that 50s experience. my speedo is dead on with 670-15". We checked with GPS, and every speed trap trailer I go by, my speedo matches it.
Cool

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

How much rake the vehicle has is exactly why the steering seems lighter on a stock height bus. Stock height buses are almost always level or a little bit higher in the front, whereas lowered buses are almost always lower in the front than in the back. It's all an issue of caster. Buses were setup from the factory with zero caster angle built into the beam and having a saggy rear end will turn that into a positive caster angle, giving it a lighter steering feel. When somebody lowers the bus without building more caster into the beam and lowers the front more than the back, they end up with negative caster, giving the bus a heavier feeling steering.
rustybug3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: getting it up Reply with quote

Every body seems to be lowering their buses and putting beetle trannies under them. How do you take it back to stock height?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: getting it up Reply with quote

rustybug3 wrote:
Every body seems to be lowering their buses and putting beetle trannies under them. How do you take it back to stock height?

Get some stock spindles (and a stock beam if it's been modified) and an RGB trans to fit your bus. Install, and drive.
rustybug3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to weld anything back in? Thanks for your input.
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If that's all that was done to the bus, installing the correct drive train should do ya'.
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what should the ground clearance be from your steering box? Laughing

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikee wrote:
so what should the ground clearance be from your steering box? Laughing

Im showin 12.5" from the lowest part of the steering box to the pave.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the raising back to stock height going on, this will put a few companies on here out of business, with the flood of used drop spindles and axle/spring plate kits hitting the market. Laughing
Gather all the stock suspension stuff that you can!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: