Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Strongly advise reading feedback ^^
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1731114

Like easy e said... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340510
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Thank you all for the very useful and helpful guidance.
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Maybe said before... sorry.

Going stock height again in my 67 westy.

Want to go Big nut trans, prefereably a 67 one that has longer to gear ratio (am I correct?).

I'm having troubles in finding one locally (Spain).

Will a Brazilian Split bus transmission work? Opinions?

Thanks in advance
Xavi
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:

Will a Brazilian Split bus transmission work? Opinions?

Is the transaxle in question brand new from the factory? If not it could have been rebuilt since new with any gearing.

There are places that will rebuild a transaxle for you with lots of gearing choices you can go with. Any VW 1961-72 tunnel transaxle case will do for a core. You can even go with non-stock for that era of transaxle case with 3.875 or 3.44 R&P for higher geared and higher MPH.
grizpdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Found this helpful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I'm in the process of using online tire calculators to determine how tall of a tire I can get (to increase MPH a little bit) while still being able to get under my tilt up garage door.

When folks speak of tire height or 'Average Height" (as in above table), does it mean diameter with weight on wheels, or is it the approximate tire diameter on the rim, but off of the bus?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Pretty sure "average height" means among the tire manufactures the average size is... Just like some tires have more of a balloon shape to the sidewalls and some less, so one could figure out the average between them for total width.

Tallest/widest tire depends on the rear wheel wells in question.

1. 1955-early 62 a 205/75R15 is about as big as you can go.

2. Later 1962 thru 67 with the ribbed rear wheel wells you can get as big as 235/75R15.

3. Cut out wheel wells you can go bigger if willing to offset the rims enough.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
I'm in the process of using online tire calculators to determine how tall of a tire I can get (to increase MPH a little bit) while still being able to get under my tilt up garage door.

When folks speak of tire height or 'Average Height" (as in above table), does it mean diameter with weight on wheels, or is it the approximate tire diameter on the rim, but off of the bus?

I have an original Bus Continental spare tire.
It's loose - no rim, not on Bus.
I measured the circumference and it matched what is listed in the VW Bus shop manual.
So my understanding is it's the tire, unloaded.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Thanks, E&B and EB. I too was thinking it's likely an 'unloaded' measurement as various weight loads would surely create a differing height.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Jacked up the bus yesterday and the P185/75 14's measure 1/2" taller at 24.5 than when all the EZ Camper bus weight is on them.

Seems my tilt up garage may fit an LT205/75 14, though perhaps LT's have a stiffer sidewall and less height loss when loaded. If that's true, the 205's may be too tall.

I realize it's a nominal difference but has anyone experimented with height on the same bus (same size tires and air pressure) but differing tire ratings of P vs. LT?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
Jacked up the bus yesterday and the P185/75 14's measure 1/2" taller at 24.5 than when all the EZ Camper bus weight is on them.

Seems my tilt up garage may fit an LT205/75 14, though perhaps LT's have a stiffer sidewall and less height loss when loaded. If that's true, the 205's may be too tall.

I realize it's a nominal difference but has anyone experimented with height on the same bus (same size tires and air pressure) but differing tire ratings of P vs. LT?

I've been running Yokohama Y356 LT 195/75 14's on my 67' camper and they're a HUGE improvement over the P rated tires I had on there before I knew better. 8 ply rated sidewall, load range D. The bus handles so much better with the right tires.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
I've been running Yokohama Y356 LT 195/75 14's on my 67' camper and they're a HUGE improvement over the P rated tires I had on there before I knew better. 8 ply rated sidewall, load range D. The bus handles so much better with the right tires.

Good to hear. I've seen those mentioned in threads. At your convenience, could you share the loaded tire height on that bus?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

rennie wrote:
oakman wrote:

Good to hear. I've seen those mentioned in threads. At your convenience, could you share the loaded tire height on that bus?

Looks to be just above 25" from ground to top of loaded front tire laying a small level flat across the tread. Tire has about 35 psi.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
rennie wrote:
oakman wrote:

Looks to be just above 25" from ground to top of loaded front tire laying a small level flat across the tread. Tire has about 35 psi.

Thanks very much oakman - really helpful to know this!
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Went to stock height some weeks ago...

Super happy with my new bus!
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:

love the tires! where did you get them. I see they are for 14" wheels

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Tyres are from Fedima.
http://www.fedimatyres.com/en/tyres/commercial/for
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:

Sexy Beast!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:
Tyres are from Fedima.
http://www.fedimatyres.com/en/tyres/commercial/for

Those tires look great on your bus. What size are they?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: