Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
xavi_242 wrote:
Tyres are from Fedima.
http://www.fedimatyres.com/en/tyres/commercial/for

Those tires look great on your bus. What size are they?

185R14
mark-s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:
Went to stock height some weeks ago...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Super happy with my new bus!

I don't know if it's a maturity thing (AKA getting old), but I think this looks a million times better than any lowered bus. I love everything about your bus! I'm even going to check if yellow lenses are legal in the UK!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

mark-s wrote:

I don't know if it's a maturity thing (AKA getting old), but I think this looks a million times better than any lowered bus. I love everything about your bus! I'm even going to check if yellow lenses are legal in the UK!

I like 'em low and high, but I agree that bus looks fantastic.
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Recently bought Hankook Optimo H724 in 205/75/15 I'm very happy with them and they were under $60 each. I balanced with Dynabeads, my freeway drive has never been smoother.
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

So I recently changed out the lowered suspension for stock. The trans I traded for did not have any gear oil in it so I will need to fill it up. How much gear oil do I put in the reduction boxes?

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
So I recently changed out the lowered suspension for stock. The trans I traded for did not have any gear oil in it so I will need to fill it up. How much gear oil do I put in the reduction boxes?

Thread about it
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520952

.52 pints

They connected to the center though so if you are willing to wait, fill the center, wait and it will flow out and check the center again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Thanks Everett. I tried searching but didn't see that thread.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

so I have another question.

Does anyone have a picture of the clip that bolts to the backing plate that keeps the e-brake cable tube in place? I tried searching the gallery and didn't see a picture of this setup.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of the clip that bolts to the backing plate that keeps the e-brake cable tube in place? I tried searching the gallery and didn't see a picture of this setup.

Do you just need to know what that clamp looks like, or do you need a shot of it in place?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

These are for small nut boxes according to the info with the gallery photo.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Here is a shot of them installed.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Big nut clamps are pretty much the same, but they may be slightly different. Not sure on that. Beetle clamps look nearly the same, too. Experts, please chime in and school us. More knowledge is good.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

You can also do a search of just the split bus forum. Tried "E brake cable" and checked the "Titles Only" box to keep the results down to an easy to go thru amount.
Got this among others:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656985&highlight=brake+cables
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
der58SC wrote:

Do you just need to know what that clamp looks like, or do you need a shot of it in place?

Thanks. I was more interested in what they look like at the fingers that hod the tube. Also seeing how the are installed from the other side would be nice too since I am concerned that the cable will rub inside the drum.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Eastside78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Hi guys, happy to be in your thread. After passing 40 and finishing a 3 year resto, I`m tired of lowered buses..

Just want to take my family of 5 out for some cruises and camping. Lowered just don’t work for that.

Todays set-up on my 59´camper is:

Engine: Stock AS 1600 engine (dual port, 50 HP)

Front suspension:
CE adjustable beam
Flipped spindles

Rear suspension:
IRS conversion from an early bay, chassis legs from CE
AH Gearbox from 1500 beetle (final ratio 4.125)
Adjustable spring plates

Will try to raise the front beam to max and se how high it will be, (how close to stock) before I eventually swap to my stock beam (have that in the garage)

Questions to you is:
Can I let my IRS conversion stay? (Will I be able to raise it enough?)
Will my AH gearbox work fine with my engine and tires as close to stock size as possible? (6.40X15)

Pics of the lowered bus:

mark-s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I have a very similar setup and have just gone back to stock height. You can keep the CE IRS setup, but you might have to swap the adjustable spring plates for stock early bay ones, I'm not sure you'll get enough angle.

You'll definitely need to change the gearbox output flanges and fit off-road type 4 CV joints and boots. The flanges are VW Trekker (or Thing as you call it over there), the CV joints are from CSP in Germany, but I think they're the same as the EMPI off-road ones that most places sell. They have a max operating angle of 25 degrees, my axles are sitting at 17 degrees.

I'm guessing you have the CE shock mounts? I had to change to the standard type (non-lowered) mounts which makes the rear eye-to-eye shock measurement 370mm which is the same as an early bay.

For the front I switched back to standard spindles and used the beam adjusters to get the height the same as the rear.

Tyres are Hankook Vantra 185r14.

Eastside78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

mark-s wrote:
I have a very similar setup and have just gone back to stock height. You can keep the CE IRS setup, but you might have to swap the adjustable spring plates for stock early bay ones, I'm not sure you'll get enough angle.

You'll definitely need to change the gearbox output flanges and fit off-road type 4 CV joints and boots. The flanges are VW Trekker (or Thing as you call it over there), the CV joints are from CSP in Germany, but I think they're the same as the EMPI off-road ones that most places sell. They have a max operating angle of 25 degrees, my axles are sitting at 17 degrees.

I'm guessing you have the CE shock mounts? I had to change to the standard type (non-lowered) mounts which makes the rear eye-to-eye shock measurement 370mm which is the same as an early bay.

For the front I switched back to standard spindles and used the beam adjusters to get the height the same as the rear.

Tyres are Hankook Vantra 185r14.

Thanks for good information and many tips. Good to hear that I can keep the IRS.

Is there the CSP CV joints with "long travel" you mean? https://www.csp-shop.com/en/rear-axle/cv-joint-501-331-211hd-27087b.html
This will only fit my stub axl, I run Beetle CV joints inner at the gear box.

Do you mean I need to swap the flange to make a Type 2 CV joint fit also inner?

I can see CSP also sell Type 1 CV joints with long travel, maybe this can be used instead of changing the flanges.. https://www.csp-shop.com/en/rear-axle/cv-joint-501-331-113hd-29716b.html

Yes, I run CE rear shock mounts, but the stock ones is still there (thank god!)

Unfortunately do I need a set of stock spindles. I swapped mine with a fresh rebuild set (flipped) from Type2 Detectives. (does a set of flipped lower as much as 3,5"?)
mark-s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/rear-axle/heavy-duty-j...1533588488
They are the flanges you need if you want to use the type 2 long travel CV joints.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/rear-axle/cv-joint-501-331-211hd-27087b.html

You might be able to keep your flanges and use bug CVs, but I wouldn't risk it, swapping then is an easy job. You could email CSP and ask what the maximum angle is.

You can't use the original upper shock mounts unfortunately, they don't line up with the bay hub.

Looks like you'll have to get some new standard spindles, dropped spindles lower the front by 3.5". Nothing is cheap if you want to do it properly!

I assumed you were in the USA, but it looks like you're in Europe?
Eastside78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Thanks again Mark!

My spare stock beam off course has stock spindles, I totally forgot. Just need to get them re-packed. (I kept a complete stock suspension after selling my 56" SC, and got another one with this bus). Has two split case RGB and one beam laying behind the garage Very Happy

And yes I'm in Europe:

Some parts to be ordered before starting I guess.. $$$
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I'm running my bus with IRS and on original height. CV joints are Thing type.
The driveshafts might be too short, due to the angle, they need for that height. I have spacers between the flanges and CV joints.

My workshop guy that did several similar conversions before told me, there is no chance with beetle CV joints, they don't allow the angle that is needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: