Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality Control on Tires
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Quality Control on Tires Reply with quote

This has happened to me with both VW and non-VW tires. Brand new tires get put on, and the car wants to go to one side. I switch the tires, and the problem disappears or the car wants to go to the other side. Adjusting the alignment doesn't help. Am I right in suspecting that tires are not as uniformly made as I would expect?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had truck tires that were so bad they shaved rubber off the tread to try and true them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Control on Tires Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Adjusting the alignment doesn't help. Am I right in suspecting that tires are not as uniformly made as I would expect?

You are right, and there are many issues that can arise. I'm researching new tires for my new car and finding out that this is a common issue.

It's probably an issue with Conicity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_uniformity#Conicity

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just put 4 new tires on my Beetle, and maybe I should just keep switching tires around until I get the best performance. I've already gone through three permutations, I guess I can do a few more next Saturday.

But when it happened on my minivan it wasn't so easy to just switch tires around. I wonder when this kind of inconvenience turns into a real safety hazard. Like that huge mess with Firestone tires a few years ago.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the tyres are causing drag take them back to the shop and get a replacement. Could be a moulding issue, could be a storage issue, either way let the shop check alignment on their gauge to prove the tyres are at fault.Its dangerous and their responsibility to sell items fit for purpose
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought them by mail from Coker.

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a shop to check the alignment and get them remounted on the rims by them. Then get their manager to test drive the car and ask for his opinion. armed with this information e mail the suppliers and see what they come back with
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I decide to return them that would be a good idea, but I can arrange the tires so that the drift is almost gone. Still, it shouldn't be there at all, and it has also happened to me on our minivan, so it's not just a Coker problem.

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok good luck, with use the tires may just scrub in...
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not with the whole whoppin' 3,000 miles I put on them a year! Laughing

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long were the tyres in storage? how old are they? date of manufacture markings on sidewall.Are the sidewalls flexible or have they gone hard? has the rubber cracked anywhere?

All this can affect on road performance of supposedly new tyres..

just a thought
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOT code on all four of the Cokers indicate manufacture the first week of June of this year.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did more swapping yesterday and finally hit on a combination that has minimal (although still a tiny bit of) pull to one side. Drove it a lot today over twisty hilly roads as well as on the interstate and the tires worked fine.

But there's really no excuse for tires being off like that, especially at the prices they want for these limited - demand tires. Computer technology ought to be able to reduce the amount of variation from one tire to another to a statistically insignificant quantity.

bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

computer technology is all well and good, but your tires are formed in a heated mold under pressure... the computer only controls temperature and time.... that said, are the roads in NJ crowned? the more narrow the tire, the more a crown seems to affect the car...

GEX has. Just sayin
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some roads in NJ are crowned, some are tilted, some are off-camber, some are in pieces. Smile

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are lucky, roads here are a novelty, the main roads and towns are ok but the villages and outlying districts are little more than dirt tracks...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: