Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI conversion AHU Turbo adapter sketch/ dimensions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: TDI conversion AHU Turbo adapter sketch/ dimensions Reply with quote

After a couple months driving without Turbo I want to tackle my last AHU conversion challenge - turbo positioning.
Based on the forums recommendation I decided to turn the original AHU turbo upwards with an AAZ exhaust manifold instead of using the European OEM VW JX setup. .
I have all parts except the adapter. Here my question:

1. Using an adapter requires 6 bolts to fasten the turbo. Does it really take special stretch bolts or would a conventional 8.8 or 10.9 strength metric bolt work? Any experience / recommendations?

2. This forum has pictures of adapters made from steel or aluminum. In my opinion using aluminum would be an issue because of the different thermal elongation (unless stretch bolts are used?). Any experience / recommendations on material?

3. Does anyone have a sketch for an adapter with dimension or even better a source where I can buy one already made to fit.

4.My OEM Diesel Muffler has a 1.5” connection. Any recommendation on a 2” or 2.5” Muffler from another car that would fit reasonably well.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion AHU Turbo adapter sketch/ dimensions Reply with quote

vintagemotion wrote:
After a couple months driving without Turbo I want to tackle my last AHU conversion challenge - turbo positioning.
Based on the forums recommendation I decided to turn the original AHU turbo upwards with an AAZ exhaust manifold instead of using the European OEM VW JX setup. .

1. Using an adapter requires 6 bolts to fasten the turbo. Does it really take special stretch bolts or would a conventional 8.8 or 10.9 strength metric bolt work? Any experience / recommendations?

2. This forum has pictures of adapters made from steel or aluminum. In my opinion using aluminum would be an issue because of the different thermal elongation (unless stretch bolts are used?). Any experience / recommendations on material?

3. Does anyone have a sketch for an adapter with dimension or even better a source where I can buy one already made to fit.

4.My OEM Diesel Muffler has a 1.5” connection. Any recommendation on a 2” or 2.5” Muffler from another car that would fit reasonably well.

I'll answer, since I'm the originator of the concept. I use only grade 10.9 or 12.9 metric bolts. The adaptor is 1/2" thick steel, 3" diameter, with a 1.375" hole. Note that the manifold bolt pattern is slightly different than the turbo pattern. The part bolts to the manifold with the original turbo bolts. The turbo mounts to the adaptor using one stud and two through-bolts, installed into the adaptor side first. No gasket is necessary as long as you have sanded the adaptor on a metal belt sander or equivalent. The two turbo bolt heads may require a small grind on one side to fit the recesses of the manifold. Of course, you also need to re-clock the turbo for proper drainage and orientation. I've done a bunch of them this way and works great!

Muffler - I always use 2.5" SS tubing and Performaster SS glasspacks for the conversions. These have a nice quiet tone and are free-flowing:
http://www.stainless-specialties.com/products2a.htm
Also considering adding a short flex near the turbo and a Magnaflow diesel catalyst to keep it clean. You can see pics on my site of the setup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion AHU Turbo adapter sketch/ dimensions Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
vintagemotion wrote:

I'll answer, since I'm the originator of the concept. I use only grade 10.9 or 12.9 metric bolts. The adaptor is 1/2" thick steel, 3" diameter, with a 1.375" hole. Note that the manifold bolt pattern is slightly different than the turbo pattern. The part bolts to the manifold with the original turbo bolts. The turbo mounts to the adaptor using one stud and two through-bolts, installed into the adaptor side first. No gasket is necessary as long as you have sanded the adaptor on a metal belt sander or equivalent. The two turbo bolt heads may require a small grind on one side to fit the recesses of the manifold. Of course, you also need to re-clock the turbo for proper drainage and orientation. I've done a bunch of them this way and works great!

Muffler - I always use 2.5" SS tubing and Performaster SS glasspacks for the conversions. These have a nice quiet tone and are free-flowing:
http://www.stainless-specialties.com/products2a.htm
Also considering adding a short flex near the turbo and a Magnaflow diesel catalyst to keep it clean. You can see pics on my site of the setup.

Thanks for the details and sharing your idea with us. This is a very clean solution!! I like it much better than the OEM JX setup. VW should have come up with that!

Can I buy adapters and fabricated down pipes from you?
The flex joint would help to reduce stresses and will change the dynamics (NVH) of the exhaust system. Exhaust flex joints happens to be what our company manufactures for OEM’s like GM, Mercedes etc.. I’m planning to use an exhaust decoupler which is a more complex flex-joint designed with additional damping cushions. This is particular beneficial for diesel applications.
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion AHU Turbo adapter sketch/ dimensions Reply with quote

vintagemotion wrote:

The flex joint would help to reduce stresses and will change the dynamics (NVH) of the exhaust system. Exhaust flex joints happens to be what our company manufactures for OEM’s like GM, Mercedes etc.. I’m planning to use an exhaust decoupler which is a more complex flex-joint designed with additional damping cushions. This is particular beneficial for diesel applications.

At the moment I can only share the ideas and details - just too overwhelmed with backlogged work. I make each adaptor and headpipe as I build a conversion, so don't have these available as parts for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion AHU Turbo adapter sketch/ dimensions Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
vintagemotion wrote:

At the moment I can only share the ideas and details - just too overwhelmed with backlogged work. I make each adaptor and headpipe as I build a conversion, so don't have these available as parts for sale.

Understood and I do not want to delay my M-TDI pump from you Smile

Thanks for your input!
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the same adapter as Karl has shown above. I used regular grade 8 bolts from NAPA and all 3 snapped off after about 12,000 miles of use. Luckily we were near anchorage and were able to have a machine shop drill them out. I ordered the correct original bolts with the weird 12 pt head and I have not had an issue since. I would use the original bolts or stronger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Oil drain and Turbo routing AHU conversion Reply with quote

I found this picture of an AAZ motor. The AAZ uses the turbo above manifold originally. Can the oild drain and turbo air setup be used with an AHU turbo? I have the AAZ intake and exhaust manifold. I also have the N90837101 screw in adapter for the block. (yes I'm aware of the potential issues with "not draining into the pan").

Does anyone have the Part number for the AAZ oil drain and the AAZ rubber hose that connects the turbo and intake? Question

CLK Wheels 215/70/16
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get to the point where you want a plug and play i have one for sale. AAZ 3 bolt mani, GT1544 turbo, muffler, discharge flange etc:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=919197

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: