Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Builds / Combos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2332 cc Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
2332 cc:
OEM Brazilian Magnesium case
CB 84 mm forged chromoly Chinese crank
CB 5.5" H-beam chromoly Chinese rods/Buick journals
Italian Weber IDA's with 42 mm vents (Jaycee prepped)
Stock Fuel Pump and gas lines
Web 86C
CB straight cut cam gears
Scat 1.4 rocker arms
Manton pushrods
Bugpack lightweight lifters
JPM heads (10 cooling fins) prepped by K-Roc
Bugpack 1.75" header
A1 Magnaflow 2.5" muffler
Berg 26 mm o-ringed Schadek oil pump
Berg 3.5 quart oil sump
OEM FI doghouse cooling system
Santana vintage aluminum pulley
MSD 6AL, distributor, coil and leads
10.6:1 CR (91 octane at 3,600 ft/94 octane sea level)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock '68 Beetle, 1805 lb, L620 Savanna Beige
Rancho tranny: super diff, etc.
Berg shifter
SAW short axles ('66 length)
Original EMPI Sprintstars 5.5"/4.5"
OEM stock Z-bar
'69 Bus snubbers
2.5" CB dropped spindles
180.4 HP at the wheels

Best ET 12.812 seconds at 104.02 MPH on drag radials (no burnout)

Great looking car, Neil.....love the old school cal look. That's what I'm shooting for in my build......
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW type 4 engine (turbo'd):

original type 4 case (alu);
original type 4 crank (66mm, 1700 crank), non-counterweighted;
original type 4 rods with arp bolts, shot-peened;
original type 4 head castings, just larger valves (46x40), no welding;
Okrasa cylinders 103mm alu-nikasil, JE custom pistons
CB650 springs, Bugpack Ti retainers, Berg chro-mo push rods.
[Edit]: forgot to add, cam is Web163 on 114 LC [/edit]
EFI with a large intercooler.
Dry-sump oiling.
and some other things Wink

It made 403 crank hp (345 at the wheels) on a GT3076R turbo:

but with an even larger turbo it now makes 400 at the wheels (~460 crank hp) but with a more turbo-lag. Extra umph is worth it though Cool

Did 11.4 at 120 mph on the old hp setting in my very heavy 1303 bug. It is build for the circuit though, hence the weight (~2100-2200lbs without me).
Porsche 5-speed G50 transmission with Kennedy 9" dual disk black magics and a 996GT3 LSD.
This is what it does best:

I have beaten the sh*t out of her for 3 full seasons of drag and circuit racing now, also did high speed (135-140 mph) runs on the german Autobahn and it still hasn't lost a single hp yet.
It has proven itself to me beyond expectation tbh.

Last edited by Beetspeed on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is badass!!
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the specs on my street cars engine.
2387cc
CB #2300 cam
CB 1.4 rockers
CB 86mm crank
CB lightweight flywheel
CB 28mm lightweight lifters
Wiseco pistons with 1mmx1mmx2.8mm wring set
CB 30mm keyed oil pump
CB Magnesium case, modified for side outlet full flow, 10mm case savers
CB 5.500 H beam race rods
CB 4qt oil sump
CB 10mm chromoly head studs
CB 46x37 ultra wedgeport heads, stainless valves, vw-650 springs, ti ret
11-1 compression
CB Magna F/S efi system, crank triggered, sequential fuel and spark
CB 1-3/4 stainless header with stainless muffler
6" sand seal power pulley
Manton dual taper push rods
JayCee billet push rod tubes
Best E.T on DOT M&H tires is 11.89 @111mph. It spun the tires pretty hard because I had 19 psi in the tires not wanting to brake the trans. I drive this car to work, take the kids to school and around town. I do not consider it a long distance driver, more of a hot rod around town and short distance driver. Trans is geared way to low for highway driving, 4.12 R/P with a 1.21 4th gear. It drives like a stocker until you put your foot in it. The efi ECU has an internal two step and I have a line lock installed. Pretty fun to put it on the two step at a stop light. I have a short vid testing the two step on our CB face book page.
ErcseRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 x 90.5
Fully Balanced
Stock Vw rods - shot-peened
FK-89 - Vw cam gear
1.4 Autocraft rockers - tapered pushrods
Vw heads welded and ported by Racers Choice 42 x 37.5
9.8:1 Compression
48 IDAs - Tall Scat Trak manifolds - match ported
13lb lightened flywheel, 8 doweled
Heavyduty oil pump & 1.5 quart sump
1 5/8 S&S Merged Header with stinger
Anti Hop Bar and a stock 67 gear box
Joe Hunt Magneto
Stock vw fuel pump regulated to 3.5 lbs
Car had a full interior and a 4 point roll cage - 1900 lbs
6 inch slicks
LA County Raceway - Palmdale
13.39 - 99mph
105 octane

All in 1980

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredy a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Refuting Big Cam on the Street! Reply with quote

Arnolds64 wrote:
2017 - 78x90.5
Crank - CB Nitrided 4340
Eagle Knock off 5.5 H Beam Rods
Engle 130 Cam
043 40x35 heads ported by me.
Dual 44 Webers
1.5 Sump
26mm Schadek Pump
1.5 Berg Merged with heat header and Dynomax Fat boy muffler

It has 9.8.1 Compression. Runs cool and is very linear in it power. This Refutes all the Nay Sayers about running a 300+ duration cam on the street. The Webers are jetted - 55 idles, 155 Mains, F11 Tubes and 200 Airs. It has plenty of torque without having to rev it a lot to get it going from a stand still. It is very smooth actually. It also revs very well. I can go as high as Shifting out of 2nd very easily at the III ( Stock 3rd Gear shift point) on the speedo. Strong to to 7000 rpm. The heads I did myself. Had them Fly Cut .060 to get them down to 52CC from 60CC. Opened the Intakes and D Ported them left them them somewhat rough for fuel tumble or atomization and he Exhaust glass smooth and open them up too.
Make sure when you replace Carbs and Carb Manifolds to use new Gaskets. Chased a rough running carb for about a month. I found out you can't reuse them to many times. LOL! Thought I had a bad carb and bought another and found that it did the same thing and this clued me in. So I have a 44 IDF for sale - 250.00

that close to the one i,m working on
the different is 94 pistons fk8 and 5.4 rods
all the otter is the same
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
so why did you go with the 130 cam and not 42x37 heads? I've only seen a handfull of engines with the 130 and most were 2332's with huge heads.

sounds like a fun engine though, 1.1 rockers right?

For Vug Bug and Freddie,
1.1.1's. Just did not want to buy the heads. Runs very strong and could not imagine what it would do with the larger valves but I think possibly the 40x 35s give it good velocity. Makes it as Linear in the way it runs I think on the street.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:
A few years ago I built a 1679cc (with machine in 88mm cylinders) T1 engine for a friend of mine.. He put 60K miles on it, but decided to graduate up to a TIV engine for his 181 (and never look back!). He ended up donating me the tired RAT 1679 for R&D purposes a year or so ago.

I recently bought a 73 Super with no engine and had planned on throwing a TIV into it, but just haven't had the time to prepare one.. Well my Nephew has been in training with us for a year now, so I decided to have him tear down the 1679, reconfigure it and patch it up for some service in the Super. That worked well since I could stand another daily driver with heat while I finish my 912E revitalization, so I don't have to drive a damn 996 everyday!

So the 60K mile engine was torn down, the only thing that was worn were the camshaft thrust bearings. We honed the cylinders, replaced the bearings, replaced the rings and did a good valve job with new valves. The only changes I made to it was adding an Engle FK-41 Camshaft coupled to a 1.4 ratio rocker, a .035 deck and ended up at 9.6:1 CR.

My Nephew then balanced the assembly and assembled it. We topped it off with a Mallory Uni-Lite Dizzy and an ACE prepped single 40 Dellorto DRLA carburetor. I ran the single to keep the engine super simple and easy to work on. The Ace prepped carb ran perfect out of the box and needed zero tuning to dial in perfectly at both part and wide open throttle.. I only needed to touch the mixture controls.

All in all the cost to reconfigure the engine cost 237.00 to include the new cam and Engle lifters, bearings and rings. I spent more on the carb rebuild than the entire rest of the engine as it was 95% used parts, a true sweep the floor powerplant.

So today my Nephew installed the engine.. We then dumped a healthy dose of RAT Snake Oil Break In oil in the crankcase, fired it up and broke the cam in.. I then took it for a blast up the road and I was amazed! I returned from the blast up the road and rolled it straight onto our chassis dyno where it made the following power.

Now, its been a long time since an engine only made 70RWHP on my chassis dyno and we have never assembled an engine that made less than 100 RWHP on this dynojet. Its kinda of hard to get super excited about such little power, but this engine is REALLY IMPRESSIVE. To create 70 RWHP means this engine is producing 20% more power at the flywheel,(roughly 85HP) now I wish we would have taken the time to bolt it on the engine dyno too!

The torque curve is impressive and extremely flat with a huge concentration of torque below 3,000 RPM, perfect for the tall gearing the Super has as it was previously equipped with a 2270 TIV that loves tall gearing. 75MPH is achieved at only 3,400 RPM between the tall tires and tall gears, but this engine pulls the gear very well, unbelievably well.

I never expected this engine to produce this much power, or to have this level of throttle response with a stock weight flywheel and a single 40mm Dellorto with no port work and simply prepared 041 valved heads.

Even the exhaust system is used and its only a 1-3/8" Chinese system with a single quiet pack... It fits this combo perfectly and appears to have more potential in the top end as the engine is still leaning out up top, not richening up, which generally indicates inefficiency.

I highly recommend this combo for anyone wanting to build a small displacement, great driving, cheap torquer combo. The FK 41 camshaft is really impressive, we'll be watching oil samples from this engine to monitor the life of the new Engle lifters and to continue our oil development... The FK 41 was the cam that was closest to what my camshaft iterator chose for peak torque at such a low RPM when i set up the iteration parameters within the software. It is performing exactly as I expected, and that torque curve reminds me of a TIV!

Its been twenty years since I've driven a ACVW with less than 140HP, but this engine is so snappy and fun to drive, I don't miss the added power as much as I believed I would.. Its not "MassIVe and its not bad ass, but it is simple, does have great heat and didn't cost me anything to create while giving my Nephew more experience. I'll be doing my best to break it for the remainder of the winter!

I expect insane MPG due to the efficiency of this combo and the gearing.. We'll have to see!

Here is the recipe:
69X88
DPR 69mm CT/WT crank
Stock 311B rods
FK 41 cam, 112* LC
.035 deck, 9.6:1 CR static
Single Dellorto 40 with 34 vents
Genuine 041 heads, no port work, competition valve job, port fluffing only
1.4 ratio rocker
Manton pushrods

Quick update on this engine. I bought it from Jake and it's now in my '64 Bug and running dual 36 DRLA's. The trans is stock '64- 4.37 r&p with 205/70 tires. I haven't checked the mileage yet, been too busy beating on it so far. Laughing It doesn't lauch as well since I lowered the car, but I expect it to run low 10's at upper 60's mph in the eighth mile.

I haven't had it dyno'd to see what it makes with the duals, but here's a vid of it going through the gears.

Link

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
I expect it to run low 10's at upper 60's mph in the eighth mile.

Please post drag slips, my 1699 with stock heads did 10.6 @ 64.6.

ANY kind of traction in first would make it a lot better
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2054cc
CB Aluminum Case - 94 Bore. STD Deck (wi shim 8:1 comp.) Case savers and webbing cleaned up for better air flow inside.
94 x 69mm pistons & jugs (balanced)

DPR 74mm stroker crank with welded counter weights
Forged Chromoly Lightweight Flywheel - 200mm o-ring seal (I needed a flywheel anyway and this was already drilled for 8 dowel)
Eagle Racing Cam (Engle 110 equiv) - Adv. Duration 286° / Dur. @ .050" 248°

Racing Gland Nut with washer
Weber Italian 40mm carbs. idles 50, Airs 200, Tubes F11, Mains (still experimenting) Standard Height Velocity Stack

CB Heads -041 Single High Rev Springs (40 x 35.5) 94 Bore
Elephant feet adjusters.
Heavy duty rocker shafts.
Stock rocker arms (modified as needed to get them centered)
Shimmed - no wavy washers.

Full Flow oil pump.
1 1/2" merged header.

Just a nice daily driver turd that's fun to drive and easy to live with.

73 Type 181 Thing
Oval, 36hp und nichts anderes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could figure out how to post pics. But I´m a pc imbessile Crying or Very sad

This was an experimental engine that we built to try some things out. The final engine combo is slightly different due to both build price and better idle. but this one still hauls butt.

Here goes:
1914 std plus.
Stock 69 mm crank.
Flywheel lightened 1 kg.
CB Unitech rods.
26 mm oil pump. Full flow.
JPM cam 240/433" X 240/394"107 LC
Stock shortened alu push rods.
94 mm Mahle cylinders
SS pistons
043 heads ported and polished. - The full version. 35,5/32 mm valves. 10-1 CR. Sgl. HD springs.
009 distributor w. Ignitor, recurved. 3 OHM coil.
Modified 34 mm Solex PICT carb, to 38 mm w. 30 mm venturi. Modified CB center section, hand made endpieces like the F.I. ones, but with 32 mm. I.D.
1½" heater boxes
1½" CSP "Super competition exhaust.

45 hp @ 2500
60 hp @ 3000
90 hp @ 4000
97 hp @ 4450
94 hp @ 5000
90 hp @ 5500

128 Nm @ 2500
140 Nm @ 3000
162 Nm @ 4025
134 Nm @ 5000
118 Nm @ 5500

Runs almost too cool. In the summer time it has a power pulley installed to reduce cooling a tad.
It loooves long gears, and is hooked up to a 3,88 R/P w. 0,89 4rth.
Does 18,5 - 80 mph in third, in 28 seconds. (A good proof of the powerband of the engine)

Like I wrote initially, this is an experimental motor. The final version was detuned a tad to 90 hp because we could build it for about $600 less.

T

Last edited by Alstrup on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2275 all summer Daily driver for a ´68 Karmann Ghia.

82 mm CB crank
13 lbs flywheel
5,325" rods.
26 mm Shadek oil pump FF. hooked to a filter and a sandwich thermostat. Stock type 4 external oil cooler mounted behind the torsion bar housing with an airfoil.
Web 86B cam
CB lifters.
Manton pushrods.
SS tubes.
CB CNC Oval port heads w. a little work around the bowl and valves. 10-1 CR.
Mallory Unilite Distributor. 3 Ohm coil.
DTM shroud.
48 mm Tri Jet carbs. 38 mm venturies.
A1 1 5/8" header w. modified muffler for flow and sound level.

174 hp @ 5750 rpm.
252 Nm @ 4400 rpm.

I tried 40 mm venturies and it pulled almost 180 hp, but had an annoying hesitation around 2400 rpm. So I went back to 38 mm.

T
Patrickvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2161cc in my 1968 beetle daily driver
awsome thread

84mm forged crank
5.5 H-beam rods, chevy journals
90.5mm pistons
engle 120 cam
scat lifters
scat 1.25:1 rockers
steve tims stage 2 heads 42x37.5 valves
9.5:1 cr
dual 40mm dellorto carbs (36vents) soon to be CB Performance quicktune EFI
pertronix billet dist w/igniter 1 modual,flame thrower coil and pertronix wires, soon to be CB crank trigger ignition (comes with EFI kit)
1 1/2 deep sump, full flowed with external oil cooler
1 5/8 ceramic merged header with magnaflow muffler

stock 68 swing axle trans (trans will be next winters project to upgrade)

Haven't raced yet, car runs rough and continuously blows black smoke (burning fuel) linked this problem to the carbs. I don't think its running to its full potential yet. once the EFI kit is installed I will put it on a dyno and also race it, then post my times and dyno info.
D Bug N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Is this 2275 a good engine for a daily driver? Reply with quote

I would like to know if this 2275 is a good engine for a daily driver?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=846252

2275cc
new mag case
9.25-1 cr
82mm cb super race crank
12lb flywheel
kep stage1 w/ copperhead disc
cb super race h beam rods 5.4 vw
94mm mahle
KROC 044 heads 42x37
engle 120
cb straight cut cam gears
gene berg 26mm oil pump (full flowed)
gene berg 1.5 oil sump
48 weber IDA's rebuilt by A.C.E.
S&S 1 5/8 custom header with heater boxes (the heat is better than any stock '67)
A-1 stainless muffler
oil cooler with fan on a switch
rancho prostreet trans 4:12 r&p with stock gearing
ErcseRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this 2275 a good engine for a daily driver? Reply with quote

D Bug N wrote:

2275cc
new mag case
9.25-1 cr
82mm cb super race crank
12lb flywheel
94mm mahle
KROC 044 heads 42x37
engle 120
gene berg 1.5 oil sump
S&S 1 5/8 custom header with heater boxes (the heat is better than any stock '67)
A-1 stainless muffler

hhahahaha
Its a 2276 with 48s and runs off 93 octane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82x90.5
5.4 h beams empi
82mm empi crank
Steve Tim's 42x37 stage twos
FK 10. [email protected] .560 lift
Cb 1.4 rockers(1.45 effective)
Empi Ida clones, 65 idle, 145 main, 190 air
CB Ida intakes port matched to heads
Empi 1 5/8 merged with fat boy.
30 degrees at max advance...empi clone 009

Tim's heads make the power!!!

8.50 in the 1/8 th out the box in a 1940lb 1969 beetle. full street trim
With some tuning and more seat time she will go faster.....

Don't tell anyone we run that fast with empi stuff....shhhhhh!!!!
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is this 2275 a good engine for a daily driver? Reply with quote

D Bug N wrote:

2275cc
new mag case
9.25-1 cr
82mm cb super race crank
12lb flywheel
94mm mahle
KROC 044 heads 42x37
engle 120
gene berg 1.5 oil sump
A-1 stainless muffler

Sure why the Hell not. Not an overly aggressive cam, nothing wrong with running premium. A lot of us run big dailys and 48s. No body said anything about needing to have absolute best economy. Drive it and don't let anyone talk you down about it. Drive it cause u want to.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm a bit out of my league but I thought I would share my humble 1641. I rebuilt it over the fall/ winter 2011. I just re-installed (leaky incorrectly installed mainseal Embarassed ) All is running well now.

1967 Ghia weekend driver and shows

DISPLACEMENT —————————————- 1641cc

CRANKSHAFT ——— Scat 69x87mm Counterweighted “Volkstroker III”
FLYWHEEL —— Stock weight, 8 dowel. Chromoly gland nut. Stock clutch
CONNECTING RODS —- Scat forged “I” Beam
PISTONS/CYLINDERS —- Mahle 87mm
CAMSHAFT —— Scat C35 .419 lift, 285° duration, 108° centers
LIFTERS —— Scat solid lightweight performance
OIL PUMP ——— Schadeck 26mm Heavy Duty
HEADS —— Mofoco 041 Ported & Polished by Mofoco
VALVES ——- Intake 39mm Exhaust 33mm
COMPRESSION RATIO ——— 8.3 : 1
ROCKER ARMS —— Scat 1.1:1 ratio with swivel feet adjusters
PUSHRODS —— SCAT “Hi-Rev” Steel
IGNITION —- Bosch 034 SVDA Distributor . Pertronix “Flamethrower” coil. NGK plugs
CARBURETION —— Dual 36mm Dellorto DLRA’s
EXHAUST — “J”-Tubes Ceramic Coated . Okrasa styled stainless muffler
OTHER MODIFICATIONS — CB PERFORMANCE alloy crank pulley • SACO alt. pulley, billet oil sump plate • VINTAGE PARTS spark plug wires • PIERBURG fuel pump re-built for AN fuel fittings • MST alloy push rod tubes billet alternator stand stainless steel crank & alternator pulley nuts • ODYSSEY dry cell battery

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?

Last edited by kingkarmann on Mon May 21, 2012 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a CB 76 craNK, Hbeam 5.5 rods,
AA 90.5b pistons
sp heads with 37x32 valves, ported and valve job by brothers, single hd springs, i need .50 deck height to get 8.5 CR, dont remember the CC of the heads right now.
webcam 163 on 105 lobe, thanks john@aircooled,
gene berg 26mm full flow oil pump,
kadrons from kaddieshak with 30 venturis.
the same kymco 1 3/8ths header/jtubes with custom 2inch exhaust and muffler.
mallory cdi box,
ngk d6ea plugs, maybe d8ea ( i have both sets, just not sure which to use and not sure about the hot/cold plug thing)
breather box,
2.3-3psi electric fuel pump,
Aircooled's SVDA distrubutor curved for the ICTs i had,
1.25 rockers,
aircooled's hd aluminum push rods,
windage pushrod tubes,
stock weight flywheel, i do have a l/w one too if needed,
kennedy stage 1 clutch.
taking all the rotating stufff to be sure it's balanced, i know most of it is supposed to be, i dont know where to get a scale i could use to just weight the pistons n rods myself.
scat doghouse 36hp fanshroud, getting a friend to put some extra welds on it,
hoover bit.

so whats everyones favorite break in oil, just cheap 30 weight with the lucas oil breaking additive?

also i was thinking of using 5w20 instead of the usual 10w30, what do y'all think?
i'll see what the oil pressure is on the new engine whith the dino oil. my current engien has almost 60psi at idle with 10w30.

so ...should i stick with the 8.5 CR?
i have 7.6-1 now and its running about 250-300 for temps using the same heads that i will be using on the new motor(yes when i got the heads back from brothers i couldn't wait, so i dropped the 1776 to switch heads and install the new kadrons, but my head temps went down 50-75 degrees)

and which plugs, hot or cold, d6ea or d8ea?

expected HP?

straight axle 4.12 67bus with 205/60/14 rear tires

thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an extra lightweight flywheel, i've been told not to use it in a bus since the bus needs the inertia of a stock weight flywheel, but if the crank is counterweighted there would be extra weight there?

so could would there be any gains from using the lightened flywheel with counterweighted crank in a bus?

if i bump my compresion ratio to 8.5 from 7.6 will that make my heads run hotter?
what are the pros and cons?
more power, hotter heads, higher octane gas, pinging, detonation?
i'm getting close to setting all this up, need some help to make my final decision.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: