Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Builds / Combos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat D wrote:
Here are the specs on my street cars engine.
2387cc
CB #2300 cam
CB 1.4 rockers
CB 86mm crank
CB lightweight flywheel
CB 28mm lightweight lifters
Wiseco pistons with 1mmx1mmx2.8mm wring set
CB 30mm keyed oil pump
CB Magnesium case, modified for side outlet full flow, 10mm case savers
CB 5.500 H beam race rods
CB 4qt oil sump
CB 10mm chromoly head studs
CB 46x37 ultra wedgeport heads, stainless valves, vw-650 springs, ti ret
11-1 compression
CB Magna F/S efi system, crank triggered, sequential fuel and spark
CB 1-3/4 stainless header with stainless muffler
6" sand seal power pulley
Manton dual taper push rods
JayCee billet push rod tubes
Best E.T on DOT M&H tires is 11.89 @111mph. It spun the tires pretty hard because I had 19 psi in the tires not wanting to brake the trans. I drive this car to work, take the kids to school and around town. I do not consider it a long distance driver, more of a hot rod around town and short distance driver. Trans is geared way to low for highway driving, 4.12 R/P with a 1.21 4th gear. It drives like a stocker until you put your foot in it. The efi ECU has an internal two step and I have a line lock installed. Pretty fun to put it on the two step at a stop light. I have a short vid testing the two step on our CB face book page.

This post is gold. If you were to build this engine in 2021, would you change anything?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Drop the Cr to 8:1 and add a turbo Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Link

2276cc
ally case
medium camshaft
42x 37 cnc roundports hogged out a bit badly (not by me)
15psi boost
235hp at the wheels runs high tens in a pan car
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

"Glowing" Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
"Glowing" Cool

Yes the dyno was set for a slow ramp up. I was probably datalogging the AFR
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Paul any chance you could be more specific on the combo? What heads and cam? I made 225 to the wheels on mine and considered some changes but if i would only make a few more hp i wouldn't spend $1500 more on it.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Paul any chance you could be more specific on the combo? What heads and cam? I made 225 to the wheels on mine and considered some changes but if i would only make a few more hp i wouldn't spend $1500 more on it.

Have you got the specs on your engine and also the make of dyno you went on ?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Of course:
2054 (74x94)
Mag case
AA500 heads cleaned up a bit by me (zero porting knowledge) 40x35 dual springs
1.25 rockers (more like 1.33) .505" lift
Stock rods
Web 163 cam on a 112 lobe
1 3/8" header
TD04-19t turbo
3" super short exhaust
EFI
Dynojet
This was hammering with detonation at the time. I didn't know it then, but the fuel pump connector was jacked and not getting even pressure. Since has been fixed and may go back to the dyno next weekend.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

What's the intake manifold/throttles etc ?
How much boost ?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Just 2" intake, 3" plenums, with 50mm ford single tb. 17 psi.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

The closest data I have to your engine is a 1914cc with 42x37 CNC roundports which made 185 rwhp when I over boosted it to 18psi no charge cooler so I'm thinking your numbers are excessive but it's a Dynojet so nothing new there and if it was detonating during the run then it's even more unbelievable. The other issue is the 1 3/8 header is too small for that kind of HP
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Nice looking engine bay Mike ,, belt is a-wall Laughing
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Beats me Paul. All i have is the info in front of me. I made one 20 psi boost run when i was trying to dial in the controller. That run was 242/260.
If i get back to the dyno next weekend i will update it. There is another dyno in town, maybe i can find one everyone likes better.
Mike that was a pic from this morning. Belt and air filter along with the tin is all back on and ready to hurt some feelings this weekend. If the clutch will hold.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Beats me Paul. All i have is the info in front of me. I made one 20 psi boost run when i was trying to dial in the controller. That run was 242/260.
If i get back to the dyno next weekend i will update it.
Mike that was a pic from this morning. Belt and air filter along with the tin is all back on and ready to hurt some feelings this weekend. If the clutch will hold.

If you go to the dyno get a datalog of the boost,AFR , duty cycle of the injectors, fuel pressure
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Well no better time to slip in my Franklinstein floor sweeper than on Thanksgiving when nobody is looking.

This was put together with parts on hand so please keep that in mind.

Crank 78.4mm chevy rod journals
Mahle 94mm B P&Cs ( pistons dished for 7cc , cylinders trimmed down .030 for best deck with what I had to work with. )
Rods 5.325
12.5 flywheel
Cam W120 ( only others I had were a W125 and FK44 )
Heads ported 40 X 35 hemi cut. ( chambers averaged about 50.5, this became an issue when setting the deck height )
Lube a lobe lifters ( got them down to 73gr - 71gr )

The rest of the valve train is stock !!!
Springs shimmed to .100 before coil bind
Stock aluminum pushrods were shortened .250
Retainers, adjusters and jam nuts lightened. ( can't remember exactly how much I got off, I'll look it up.
Rockers are 40hp 1.0:1 also lightened as much as I could.
CB center section ported to match single barrel 40 IDF, one side disabled.

At the time I started this I had recently acquired a lathe so I was excited to put it to work.

The reasoning behind the 40hp rockers was to reduce strain on the springs ( just under .400 lift ) and theoretically reduce the duration of the cam . . I'm not sure but just guessing it did.

Exhaust is standard dual quiet packs 1-3/8 dia. ( I do have a 1-1/2 merged but I needed the heat risers for the manifold.
German 009 with a 4500rpm limiter ( will move up to a 4800 if the valve train hold up. )

compression ratio is 9.0:1 except on number 3, it ends up at 8.9:1 close enough.

400+ miles on it, so far so good.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

De-lifted cam huh? Interesting.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
buguy wrote:
If i get back to the dyno next weekend i will update it.

If you go to the dyno get a datalog of the boost,AFR , duty cycle of the injectors, fuel pressure

I will definitely get data logs. I will be tuning at the same time. Planning to run up to 25 psi. I think i will also start the runs at 2000 rpm instead of 2500. I will have to make a decision soon too because last time i drove it, 19 psi was like 85% duty cycle on my 1000cc injectors. I have a set of 1600's here ready to go in if needed.
Oh yeah! I'm on E85 too!
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R3P7vr4GLc
Link

2443cc 88x94 with wedgeports
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

looks like something spit on the header to cause a flame ? that bus is awesome!
always wanted to turbo my 70 bus,, but it will run to hot and has 'drum brakes' Laughing
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Builds / Combos Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
looks like something spit on the header to cause a flame ? that bus is awesome!
always wanted to turbo my 70 bus,, but it will run to hot and has 'drum brakes' Laughing

Probably the first time it got that hot burning off the hand print oil.
The bus had factory disc brakes which soon got junked in favour of Wilwood four pots and vented discs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: