Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help me get started
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Please help me get started Reply with quote

We just got a 1980 vanagon camper. It was my wife's grandmas who bought it new in 80. It's got 100k on it. It stopped running about 10 years ago and was simply put in the garage never to be heard from again. We just had it shipped to us. It doesn't run. It doesn't have that much rust. There is a lot to do and I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to overlook something. Any suggestion on what to do first? Also, how do you pop the top?
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Sounds like a fun project. Here is some light reading to get started:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Best of luck!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures aswell please

Cool

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Newbie7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for a 1980 2.0 aircooled Gowesty doesn't make an engine, Bistig doesn't, can't find much info on Tiico. Am I left to a converstion kit and my own creativity, or what are my options.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there must be a good VW shop in Utah that can rebuild your engine. Don't be suckered into a GEX rebuild or some other bargan basement longblock. You might want to go through the Bay window forum since the air cooled vanagon engine is basically the same as the last years of bay window. Jake Raby does a very well regarded rebuild kit called the camper special and it does very well. Good Luck! and welcome to the insanity.

Hans
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it stopped running doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the engine. Could be a bad fuel pump or any number of things. I bought a 71 super beetle for $100 that sat for years after the owners tried everything they could think of and replaced all kinds of parts. In ten minutes I found the power wire to the coil had been knocked off the back of the fuse block. Drove that car like a madman and never had another problem with it. My 78 westy still had the original 2.0 engine with 120k on it. It didn't run when I got it but not because the engine was bad. After some FI repairs and a fuel pump it drove to Canada from Fl without any issues. You may want to have some simple tests done before you go shopping for a new engine. Unless theres a big hole in the block and grandma remembers a big oil slick and parts scattered on the highway before she parked it.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey

Last edited by seventyfo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.busdepot.com sells rebuilt longblocks, but why would you feel you needed a new engine? and while it's possible to convert a aircooled van to a watercooled engine (and I prefer it) it's a steep learning curve if your a novice to these or mechanicals in general.

1st is to diagnose why/what failed and purge/clean the fuel system.
you NEED TO CHANGE THE FUEL LINES, they are old and risk of a major fire, after which all previous effort is lost. replace ALL high pressure lines with 30R9 5/16" spec fuel line and don't forget the line by the starter & at the fuel pump that most forget and cause a big fire.

as mentioned the vanagon aircooled is essentially the same as the 78-79 bay bus engine and fuel injection. you may find good diagnostics over at www.ratwell.com he has so much info there that'll make your head spin

what you need is FUEL, SPARK, and COMPRESSION to make an engine go. then some timing and brakes and you are good.

Newbie7 wrote:
So for a 1980 2.0 aircooled Gowesty doesn't make an engine, Bistig doesn't, can't find much info on Tiico. Am I left to a converstion kit and my own creativity, or what are my options.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of rebuilders out there... there is an aircooled forum where you can ask
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
Newbie7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really dumb but can anybody tell me how to unlatch the top?
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie7 wrote:
I feel really dumb but can anybody tell me how to unlatch the top?

The latch is in the middle front of the pop top opening, on the left and right side of the latch there are two vertical holes, stick your left and right hand fingers up into the holes and pull towards you, this will unlock the top, step back and grab the bar, push forward, the top will come up, when it is all the way forward it will lock into place. Leave a window open so air can be sucked in.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to describe, assuming it's a Westy... there is that metal thing about 10" x 2" at the front cetner of the big roof opening. You reach up inside it on both sides with your fingers and squeeze back - should pop free.

If it is stiff, pulling down a bit on the mechansism mayy help.

You should be able to just see the head of a little button in the center of the whole unit -- that pops in when the latch is released, pops out when it latches again.

Once unlatched you grab the bar running crossways just above your head and do your best impersonation of a circus strong man lifting a weight above his head.

Depending on the condition of the parts and your strength this will be anything from easy to difficult. If difficult there are adjustments, fixes and even mechanical aids to make it easier later.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else have this warm feeling about these sorts of first discoveries?
"How do you pop the top?" Great question and I'm reminded the first time I popped the top and was amazed by all the room, the top bunk, etc.
There's so many nifty "a-ha!" moments of discovery with a westy!
</time warp>

Post some pics and welcome to the club.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Newbie7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouragement. pictures are coming soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: