Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
I have a 60 ghia, shifting feels like its metal on metal. How do I know if mine gets the shif rod bushing or not?

Thank you

Lee

Your description is probably enough. Then you'd order the replacement part, because it is not an expensive thing. Then you'd open the tunnel by unbolting the shift stick and sight down the tunnel with the aid of a flash light and look to see the condition of the bush and make an informed decision to proceed with the method outlined in this very thread. Or not.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
I have a 60 ghia, shifting feels like its metal on metal. How do I know if mine gets the shif rod bushing or not?

Thank you

Lee

Your description is probably enough. Then you'd order the replacement part, because it is not an expensive thing. Then you'd open the tunnel by unbolting the shift stick and sight down the tunnel with the aid of a flash light and look to see the condition of the bush and make an informed decision to proceed with the method outlined in this very thread. Or not.

Nicholas

Shifting is very stiff going from one gear to the next.
I'm sure this doesn't help much either.

Fyi, I have a 60 Ghia w a 68 tranny w bus nose cone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

Lee, a 60 doesn't any bushing originally. You can see on my thread the original system as I opened the pan Wink
You also can't install any, except if you open the pan and change where the rod is going..

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
Lee, a 60 doesn't any bushing originally. You can see on my thread the original system as I opened the pan Wink
You also can't install any, except if you open the pan and change where the rod is going..

Antoine

I thought I read somewhere at a certain time of year the 60 did start using a bushing. If it doesn't then I'm not sure the problem then as it's very difficult to move the gear shifter when changing gears.

Hummmm Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:

Antoine

Antoine,

I'm wondering, what month was your 60 made in?

I've read in several places now the later 60 Ghia, not exactly when but one person says in June, the Ghia started using the Shift Rod Bushing.
Also, on the Bughous web site, the shift rod bushing is noted for all Vin# starting with 3140046 https://www.bughaus.com/shift_rod_bushing_-_111798259A.htm

I'll find out my Vin# and see what I come up with.

I've never replaced the bushing before so a little intimidated to say the least. Don't want to get everything apart just to find out it doesn't get a bushing. And worst case, there's no bushing which could mean something else major is wrong.

Any feedback is more than welcomed otherwise I'll post up when I figure this bad boy out.

Cheers,
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Possibly you are correct but is that part easily available? Further, wouldn't a zip tie be more secure because tape will perish over a short time.
Nicholas

The tape is just a help, so that you can get the bottom part seated in the holder/retainer. Once the bottom half clicks into place, you get rid of the tape. It's only cheap insurance if you drop the thing in the tunnel, so that you can easily retrieve it. Nothing to do with the long-time run.
Once the top half is on, it's super tight. The top half also "clicks" into place in the holder. Through tightening that threaded rod, you can "set" the play (or lack thereof) of the shifter and it's friction (and shift force, through that). It's quite easy to set it to zero play and very small shifting force, but very exact and positive shifting.

John Moxon wrote:

Well chasing that link and then onto the supplier of the part, it seems that the man who made the part died a few years ago. "Vladiiiii" is there another supplier?

I hope it doesn't sound too stupid, but I really admire your work and postings (and your car too) Have been a silent reader for a couple of years Shocked Very Happy Anyway. That's wierd, didn't know that! I found the supplier I bought it from, actually :
http://kaefertuer.com/new-2-parts-guide-bush-for-gear-selector-rod/
They also have some small other items (CHT gauge, and some protection for the door cards, but I haven't tested them yet).
As I said, the price may be steep for that small item, but let's say its 1) muuuuch less work than changing the original part 2) esentially a lifetime part and 3) allows nice infinite adjustment of the shift feel and force.

Later Edit: Would you look at that ! Linked there is actually a UK partner apparently:
http://www.dansimpsonvwengines.com/product/beetle-gear-shift-bush-replacement-kit/

Best regards,
Vlad
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

Antoine,

I'm wondering, what month was your 60 made in?

I've read in several places now the later 60 Ghia, not exactly when but one person says in June, the Ghia started using the Shift Rod Bushing.
Also, on the Bughous web site, the shift rod bushing is noted for all Vin# starting with 3140046 https://www.bughaus.com/shift_rod_bushing_-_111798259A.htm

I'll find out my Vin# and see what I come up with.

Cheers,

Hi Lee,

My ghia is a really early 60, produced 17.09.59, VIN 25918xx Wink that might explain it!

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:

John Moxon wrote:

Well chasing that link and then onto the supplier of the part, it seems that the man who made the part died a few years ago. "Vladiiiii" is there another supplier?

I hope it doesn't sound too stupid, but I really admire your work and postings (and your car too) Have been a silent reader for a couple of years Shocked Very Happy Anyway. That's wierd, didn't know that! I found the supplier I bought it from, actually :
http://kaefertuer.com/new-2-parts-guide-bush-for-gear-selector-rod/
They also have some small other items (CHT gauge, and some protection for the door cards, but I haven't tested them yet).
As I said, the price may be steep for that small item, but let's say its 1) muuuuch less work than changing the original part 2) esentially a lifetime part and 3) allows nice infinite adjustment of the shift feel and force.

Later Edit: Would you look at that ! Linked there is actually a UK partner apparently:
http://www.dansimpsonvwengines.com/product/beetle-gear-shift-bush-replacement-kit/

Best regards,
Vlad

Thanks for the kind words Vlad...I'm very flattered. Thanks too for bringing this product to our notice...it could well save a lot of time, frustration and grazed knuckles. Smile
I was was reluctant to post that the original supplier had died as I know how "Google Translate" can expose poor language skills all too frequently. Embarassed I was hoping the comment related to the dead link rather than the original supplier.
On a happier note I know Dan Simpson, the UK supplier...he is a good man, a good engine builder and the UK supplier of "Vintage Speed" exhausts and accessories.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thank you

Lee

Take the shifter off, and see if you can move the shift rod up or down or around. You can also see if the bushing is missing from the hole. Mine, or what was left if it, was sitting on the bottom of the tunnel.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thank you

Lee

Take the shifter off, and see if you can move the shift rod up or down or around. You can also see if the bushing is missing from the hole. Mine, or what was left if it, was sitting on the bottom of the tunnel.

Good idea and will do.

Also just to add to the current symptoms, my shifting is very stiff and unfortunately I'm having to use an Empi shifter since the original is missing.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

I wondered about pulling the rod forward to the point where the narrow part close to the end in in the support ring. Then installing the bushing with the ring. Then applying the grease with a long narrow paint brush and easing the rod back into the bushing using the pvc pipe or whatever.
analogmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method Reply with quote

I did this on my thing today and it worked really well. I found a hose grip pliers at harbor freight that made it really easy to get through the tunnel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Shift Rod Bushing replacement - no scratch method Reply with quote

I read this post with great interest and used it as the basis of my own shifter bushing install.
working withy my buddy Brian we did a couple of things a little differently and the worked out OK for us.

I think the idea of making a 6FT push rod from 1" PLASTIC PIPING is a great idea. A few youtube videos that did not use pipes talked about the shift rod getting tangled up with other lines in the tunnel and being hard to re-insert, so if if the pipe goes IN straight it will certainly pull out and go back in again along the right path and not get tangled

We wanted to make sure whatever I came up with did come apart once I pushed it into the tunnel in the tunnel to attach to the shift rod ball cup.
So we:
Carved out a little notch for the shift rod ball cup to sit into
Attached a wire loop to lasso over the ball cup
Used a dremel to make 2 slits and made a loose cable tie loop

once we could see the pipe in the tunnel

We pulled on the cable tie, and it was super snug! This is how it looked when it came out.

If I was doing it again I would only use the cable tie

Using some cord around the end of the shift rod before pulling it out will also help to pull it back in and, in conjunction with the pushing on the pipe will avoid having to use pliers to help feed the sift rod back into place.

After removing my shift rod and cleaning it up before reinsertion I noticed small sharp tags at regular intervals (probably pliers used by last person working on car) and they sure as s*** would ripped the bushing to pieces again within 6 months If I had not filed them down

Once the shaft was burr free, we kept it dry so it did pick up any gunk up along the journey up the tunnel. Once it was seated inside the bushing we dabbed grease on 4" sections and rotated the shaft as we pushed it in. The bushing now only had clean metal sliding against it, no sharp contaminates causing damage!

I found the trick of holding the bushing ring open with pliers did not work for us as It did not spring back, I had to put it in a vice to re-shape it. The bushing was also a PITA to push in. I don't know if fat fingers are required for the job but as soon as I put pressure on my finger just slipped through the middle? After a 10 minute think tank Brian suggested I put the bushing in a small way so it would hold itself and then put a large washer on my finger, gentle lower down over the bushing and push. That worked straight away, there is a satisfying pop once it goes in.

Hope this info helps, I appreciate all the info I read before and appreciate them time folks spent writing it up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: