Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter engine compartment tarboard / insulation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Zwitter engine compartment tarboard / insulation Reply with quote

Anyone producing engine compartment tar board / insulation for a zwitter. Or better yet know how to restore it? Mine has retained it's shape however the engine side is separating. I am tempted to glue roofing tar paper on it. I can't make out the material they used, it appears to be a tar like substance with granules mixed in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roofing tar paper sounds like a clever solution.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the original tarboard type stuff as a pattern and used the hardboard that is used for the trunk liner. It worked really well.

Dave
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of rolled roofing products that can be used. One solution might be to just contact cement a layer of heavy roofing tar paper over the original to re-face it. Wipe it down with some mineral spirits and it will get really black.

You might also look for some "Bitumen" rolled roofing product (unfaced, no mineral "gravel"). It is about the same thickness and very close. Also a good substitute for the pan tarboards.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
The tarboard on a zwitter is considerably different than that of the later OVALS. Bituthane roofing materials are thicker and too rubbery.

Dave
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way you could make a template of that for me? my 53 did not have one and i will have to make something when the time comes.

edit forgot to add for a fee of course

thanks

Matthew
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem, just pm me your address and will trace & send.

I am trying to repair the board as I prefer to restore rather than replace. The problem I am having however is there is considerable warping, hills, valleys & chipping. I have tried soaking it in warm water and placing it between two pieces of plywood then parking my car on it on a hot day but tar must be too dry. I am in the process of patching the cracks & chips foil backed roofing patch. Then I found some very thin rubber coated material that I cemented to the board. It looks OK but far from original appearance. So, I painted it with "hammered " look spray paint that looks like tar but color is bad. I sprayed it with Ultra Flat black but not pleased with finish. My next attempt is going to be that "Chalk Board" paint. May mist it with some white paint to emulate the specks.
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment tarboard / insulation Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
Anyone producing engine compartment tar board / insulation for a zwitter. Or better yet know how to restore it? Mine has retained it's shape however the engine side is separating. I am tempted to glue roofing tar paper on it. I can't make out the material they used, it appears to be a tar like substance with granules mixed in.

For some reason, that second picture looks asbestos based.

You may be able to mix up your own concoction to try and match it...maybe tar and some kind of filler material, ...sawdust, sand?
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm set Very Happy

thanks
1965 Notchback S
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after experimenting with various paints and textures I got it looking satisfactory. The warping of the base cardboard made it difficult to cover. Guess I will have to wait and see how heat affects it.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty nice!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment tarboard / insulation Reply with quote

Curious if this “zwitter” style engine compartment sound insulation carried into ‘53 Oval ? moderator - can I suggest this post is renamed Zwitter engine compartment tarboard / insulation
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter engine compartment tarboard / insulation Reply with quote

Did the zwitter cars have the alligator teeth that held this board? My October 52 car has a donor firewall from a 54, and I'm wondering if I can leave the teeth as they are
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter engine compartment tarboard / insulation Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Did the zwitter cars have the alligator teeth that held this board? My October 52 car has a donor firewall from a 54, and I'm wondering if I can leave the teeth as they are

Yes my Standard Zwitter has them.
'63 OG 117
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter engine compartment tarboard / insulation Reply with quote

Thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: