Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Book
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Ghia Book Reply with quote

I did a search on here, and only came up with a few links to it, and still could not find the answer to my question. The book in question has a partial scanned/PDF on http://type-14.com/.

My question is what book did http://www.type-14.com/body/BMGHIA.pdf come out of? Would this be the 1960 type 1 1200 book published by Bentley?

Thanks in advance

How is it 'NOS' if it has been modified?

The Thread Killer.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ghia IS a type I. Yes, the Type I books include a Ghia body section. The big 61 - 65 book has the most comprehensive body repair section.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should update the contact info on my site.

Between '95 and '05 I worked at a bookseller in Vancouver BC specializing in automotive books and factory service literature. We had access to everything, including original Volkswagen service publications. The body and cabrio manuals were a real score and I knew they would help people so I scanned and uploaded them. These are original VW manuals that came in distinctive, blue 3-ring binders and were available to dealership technicians. Sadly, Robert Bentley Publishers elected not to include this info in their reproduction manuals we all know (and love). They are perfect for providing insight into how the car body is actually assembled, so they are of particular interest to those dealing with corrosion issues and metal replacement.

Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these sections are in the 61-65 Type I Bentley manual. In the back there is a section for installing a Ghia cabrio top, replacing/welding in repair panels and much more Ghia specific information. Even the 52-57 Bentley manual has Ghia specific information, though the information is specific to early low light Ghias. I think all Ghia owners, no matter what year Ghia they own, should have a copy of the 61-65 Bentley manual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I would kill to get my hands on a copy of the original factory service literature and not the condensed version that has been mass produced in the Orange and Blue books. I did notice the holes for the rings on those pages..

Thanks for the assistance.

The Thread Killer.
DrakeB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the only thing that I just killed was my bank account.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...MEWNX%3AIT

The Thread Killer.
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I believe these sections are in the 61-65 Type I Bentley manual. In the back there is a section for installing a Ghia cabrio top, replacing/welding in repair panels and much more Ghia specific information. Even the 52-57 Bentley manual has Ghia specific information, though the information is specific to early low light Ghias. I think all Ghia owners, no matter what year Ghia they own, should have a copy of the 61-65 Bentley manual.

I agree with Lauren. I just checked and the page numbers match with those in the back of my 61-65 manual. I also agree that all Ghia owners need this book along with the correct Bentley for their year of car. I have both and find the combination invaluable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: