Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Buggy at Bonneville
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: My Buggy at Bonneville Reply with quote

Here's a link to the DBA forum where I relate my experience being the first buggy (as far as our research has shown) to make a timed run at Bonnevile Speedway.

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2942
brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This person says this buggy ran at Bonneville also

b]The buggy has some prominence with it dealing with the racing industry. This buggy actually ran in the Bonneville time trials. If I find you have serious interest I will explain to you more. I have old school blue and yellow plates , not registered since 88 so out of system. Also have DMV paperwork with signature from wife of famous motor racing personality. Would love to keep this buggy and make into a memorial for the old owner, but if it has to go, it has to go! ----------------------$2700---------------[/b]

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1941264460.html
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going by research that Burly Burlisle did, he's been keeping track of VWs at Bonneville since the 60's and couldn't find anyone who had run one....but we could be wrong.

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buggy in the ad was probably running a Corvair engine when it was at Bonneville. It looks like it has a Conferr Manxvair type chassis.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ran to the snack bar in town, near Bonneville... they timed the driver to see how long it would take him to get the beer -

A paperwork trail of time slips & photos (non-PhotoShopped) are ideal belief builders...

bnc
hottarod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to run in the Silver States Classic. I still may get my chance to do that but it will be in the mustang I think. Not sure, depends on how the turbo comes out on the buggy. I'm not sure I want to run that far under full boost.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy from Cedar Rapids Iowa that got a write up in the local paper about setting a speed record at Bonneville in a class that was for stock 4 cylinder something something. I think it was in a pretty stock beetle tweaked and tuned, not a buggy though. I believe there are a lot of specialty classes that folks work to set records in.

I'll see if I can come up with the article and get the specifics correct. He also got featured in our local clubs newsletter too, he actually came to last years event. Really intersting guy to talk to.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be either B-ville Tom, or Gaylen Anderson, both of whom I met this year. 2 terrific guys with a wealth of knowledge and ingenuity that is outstading. They both drove Beetles

brad
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the clue I needed, found this on theSamba, go figure... Laughing

NA36 Record and TOP OVERALL 36hp BUG SPEED
2009………106.514 mph 74BUG Tom Bruch/Gaylen Anderson Bonneville

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4098537

http://www.burlyb.com/ site for 36hp land speed record attempts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Tom post here quite a bit on the vintage speed page under B-ville Tom. He is a genius when it comes to making small displacement motors run fast and I think currently hold the record for a 1L turbo class, in a Chevy Sprint at somewhere around 140mph. Gaylen is also a great guy and helped me work on the buggy at Bonneville when I desperately needed another set of hands pulling my tranny and gave a lot of guidance to all us rookies out there.

Burly (www.burlyb.com) is a terrific guy and if any of you have any VW related land speed racing asperations, he's the guy to go to. He got me in touch with the right people to get my buggy cleared before I made the 24 hour trip (driving time) and helped me out with all my questions. He's also a great lover of buggies, having 2 a Sandshark and a Kyote.

brad
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it does not have a history in racing, it is worth ever penny! If I had it, I would buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrashedAgain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Bonny run.

We have not met but we're in the same town. You may have seen my buggy, it's the yellow Boomer with the molded in bugeye headlights.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the experience was unbelievable I hope to go back in a couple of years. We're you at Cruise Night with all the VWs? I've seen a couple of yellow buggies in town.

I have posted all 3 of my recorded runs on You-tube now, under Bonneville Buggy WOS 2010.

brad
ffejtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too cool! I have loved Bonneville all my life, drove past the place 5 years ago ONE DAY after speedweeks were done for the year, (DOH), gotta go there someday...
CrashedAgain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
We're you at Cruise Night with all the VWs? I've seen a couple of yellow buggies in town.

brad

Yep, that was me. There is another yellow Boomer in town but his has orange flames & the original recessed headlights.

I did meet him. I was having coffee at Tim Hortons & he roared in & parked beside me. 'course I rushed out to see who the "other buggy" was....and several other tables emptied out too, we had a mini car show going for a bit.

Kinda cool to get a response like that.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be Todd. I've had to swerve to keep from being sideswiped when people are looking at my car cruzzin 8th street. Hopefully next summer will be nicer and I can get it out more. This summer sucked for buggyin' and when it was nice I had it appart to change things to go to B'ville

brad
CrashedAgain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
That'd be Todd.

Yep.

Quote:

This summer sucked for buggyin' and when it was nice I had it appart to change things to go to B'ville

brad

X2 on that. Still, I put 1500 miles on it this year. Last year 2000 miles (it was blue & body putty last year).
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to revive this old post to let you know that I and 2 others will be dragging our buggies to Bonneville this September to once again challenge for the 130mph Club. I have a completely new motor sitting in the engine stand and materials are being fabricated to improve the aerodynamics of my little brick.

The motor is another 2332, but is now more of a true race engine than a street cruiser. It's based on an aluminum case from CB Performance with 3.5mm raised decks, CB crank and H-beam rods, AA forged slipper skirt pistons. CB heads and a Steve Long Racing camshaft. Alll breathing through 48IDFs with Jaycee billet venturis. I'll be getting it on the dyno this summer for tuning and hope to see in the 220-230hp range....I WANT my 130MPH certificate Very Happy .

I'll be posting some pictures as work progress' and I hope the others will chime in. Burly has 40-45 confirmed VWs this year, possibly a few more. It'll be a GREAT year on The Salt for ACVWs

brad
brad
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That motor sounds like a monster and I'm sure the event will be a blast, good luck and keep us posted.

Makes me want to watch " The Worlds Fastest Indian " ....again..... Very Happy

Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I wanted to revive this old post to let you know that I and 2 others will be dragging our buggies to Bonneville this September to once again challenge for the 130mph Club. I have a completely new motor sitting in the engine stand and materials are being fabricated to improve the aerodynamics of my little brick.

The motor is another 2332, but is now more of a true race engine than a street cruiser. It's based on an aluminum case from CB Performance with 3.5mm raised decks, CB crank and H-beam rods, AA forged slipper skirt pistons. CB heads and a Steve Long Racing camshaft. Alll breathing through 48IDFs with Jaycee billet venturis. I'll be getting it on the dyno this summer for tuning and hope to see in the 220-230hp range....I WANT my 130MPH certificate Very Happy .

I'll be posting some pictures as work progress' and I hope the others will chime in. Burly has 40-45 confirmed VWs this year, possibly a few more. It'll be a GREAT year on The Salt for ACVWs

brad
brad

Have fun!!
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: