Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

http://www.lowbugget.com/main_page.html
THATS THE WEBPAGE TO THE LOW BUGGET DRAG BUG, HE HAS A 1914CC ENGINE WITH KADRONS, AND THERE IS ALSO A LINK TO AJ SIMS WHO FIXES UP THE KADRONS FOR HOWEVER YOUR ENGINE IS SET UP.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

if u get dual kadrons what mods do u have to make if u want to race the 1/4 mile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

I would also agree that the Kadrons work well. They are a lot better than the progressive I had. Last year I added a Gene Berg linkage and have not had to adjust the carbs since I put it on 6-8k miles ago. Bergs book of instructions are good for how to set the carbs up too.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

I can vouch for Kadrons, as I've owned five or six sets over the years and everyone I sold the vehicles too was very happy. The question to ask yourself is: how will I drive the car? If you want simple tuning, great highway speed, good merging and great gas mileage, then the dual EMPI Kadrons are for you. However, they will not work well above 5000-5500 RPMs, without modification, in case you're thinking of racing the 1/4 mile!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

On a stock motor I prefer a rejetted 34pict solex and a 009.It's simple,durable and if rejetted there is no flat spot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

Well, If there's a money problem stick with the Dual Kadrons, the Dual 40's are sweet, if you're running something a little bigger, the stock 1600 really can't utilize them as well as a larger engine could. Now if wanted to say...Put some larger Heads in with bigger valves...then you're talking a lot better breathing for all of those carbs, but either way..the duals will give you the most power, cause there's less ristriction in the intake (less curves) and they are right above the heads. Now, The heads can come into play here also, with the dual carbs, and some newer heads(larger ports) then you can make some real ponies...
You're going to be told by everyone that the stock heads are a lot more restricting, obviously, but if you're going to invest in some carbs...why not get some larger valves to utilize there capabilities...and get some good power.
So to top it off, get the dual kadrons, and some good big valve heads, and bolt them on...
James
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

You'll get alot of different opinions on this for sure... Either people had bad luck with one set-up( say a progressive) and when they went to the other (Dual kads) everything was roses or vice versa....
IMHO I prefer the progressive, may not yield the power of the duals, but for overall friendliness, (especially for those who don't want to or have time to be messing with synching and linkage troubles)
it is a good set-up. I also have a lot more experience with them so they tune easily for me...
I like the duals for bigger displacement engine though.....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: what is the best carb set-up for a stock 1600-dual port Reply with quote

I have a stock 1600 in my 64 bug, I have been getting mixed messages on the best carbs to get the most out of this engine.
a single 40, dual kadrons 40's, progressive carb, ???????? i want the best possible carb without any of the hassles, and the best gas mileage, and the best performance, every time i talk to someone new, i get a new perspective,
this is what i know as of today=
dual 40's- suck alot of gas, linkage loosens, have to sync them now and again.
dual 40 kadrons-are cheaper than webers, they were designed for the vw engine, unlike the webers that were designed for the fiats.
progressive-better gas mileage, no linkage problems.
single40 weber-more and more people are using this type of set up, how will this setup match up to the dual 40's???
whick is the best way to go?????
thanks,
David-Costa Mesa,[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: