Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what sealents should i use?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: what sealents should i use? Reply with quote

howdy I’m attempting my first rebuild on a type 4, 1700 cc 1.7 L. which from what I hear is a rare model (since I can’t find any new heads for them) but that’s not my question here.. I am a week away from putting the case back together I have all new bearings and that whole shebang, aside from that what I need now is any and all things I can do to seal this sucker up since they can leak from any and everywhere. I heard yamabond is good as is airplane case sealers which I can understand but is this gona leave a big mess if I ever split this thing again? And is there anything else I can get to seal the other passages like my pushrod tubes?

I want to make sure this thing will be solid when I am done so any input is really appreciated.

Last edited by groovydoobie on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're inside an engine you need Tom Wilson's Engine Rebuilding book. And he discusses the good stuff to glue them back together.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use nothing but Permatex 3H on case half's cylinder bases and case nuts . I am old school. I use plumbers silicone paste on rubbers. There is stuff that might be better, yamy bond, kawy bond, ducaty bond. I like that jar with a brush and the smell Shocked On oil pump gaskets and cylinder base gaskets i put them on cardboard and paint them.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have only been using Permatex Aviation. Although don't use it on oil line threads. The other Permatex works better for that. And I just started using Gasgacinch on a couple locations. That stuff is so cool.
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey desert bus man thanks for that input, i have the haisley one for a transporter, i have 2 editions of the how to keep your volkswagen alive, one from way back in late 70s that i forget the name and one chilton manual for all air cooled engines so id really not wana get that manual unless it has a number of things those manuals combined do not... (so much reading!!!! Shocked ) but you said permatex aviation just not for oil line threads where are the oil line threads and as far as the gasgacinch what do you mean by cool? as in cool enough to put on most places? you of all people should have gauged my lack of knowledge about these things Mad im trying tho...
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You absolutely, totally, without question need to get this book. Around $17 from Amazon, Vw parts stores, etc. If you follow it, it will make the difference between an engine that might work for a while or a real fine engine. And then you need the Official VW of America service manual by Bentley. T-4's have serious cylinder head concerns so also search the Samba for the latest head info.
Chilton is very generic and doesn't cover much. The Muir book has great artwork in it and is handy for some general tips but not serious bus work. Never heard of the other one you have.
Permatex just doesn't work on external fullflow oil line fittings. You don't have those to worry about unless it would be your pressure sender threads.
Permatex 3H Aviation is excellent for parts that are tightly clamped together. Such as case parting line and most other places. But a couple times I've had problems with 3H and valve cover gaskets slipping. Gaskgasinch is like instant contact cement. You better put things together in the right spot since you cant move them again.
Hope that helps. Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your question has as many answers as grains of sand at the beach.

It might be more appropriate to tell us what you plan to use and then watch the flames start.

I used:

Curil K2 on the block

Dry on the crank seals to case with silicone around the flange afterwards and oil, assembly lube, and moly grease on the crank contact surface.

Coppercoat on the heads to cylinders

A small amount of red or copper high temp silicone on the cylinders to case.

gasgacinch on the valve cover seals to valve cover

dry on the oil filter mount seal

loctite 518 on the oil pump

locktite 565 on the galley plugs

Curil-T on the case bolt and head washers.

Been here?

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/product.php?productid=16925&cat=354&page=1
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologize for the lack of detail but your answer fit the bill perfectly regardless, I also remmember that sweet a#s dinasour picture on other forums where I've used the answers uve givn so thanks for helpn me on about 75% of my questions friend I'm sure ur apart of a lot of volkswagens bein kept on the road. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: