Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

True or False: A '91 Westy that has been driven gently...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, some WBX's are money pits but for their age etc a lot are not. Had them since '92 and that 1st one was a 'learning' experience (bitch a better description) but sold me on them. My current '88 Westy hasn't had any problems yet, road testing is over now. Owned 5 total, shortest time was 2 1/2 yrs and a DD auto. I put a lot of miles on mine as i can find an excuse to drive in my sleep. Maybe just luck but keeping on top of 'good' maint has made all the least trouble free of all brands owned. My 2 kids and wife have always driven brand 'X' of various types and the worse was a MPV and a Tercel wagon, my 2cts. I have NO reason to change .
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread.

Advice I would give anybody when it comes to our vans.

If you were to put 2wd water cooled Westy's on a rating scale, 1 being a parts van and 10 being an overpriced Go Westy van,
an 8 should cost around 10,000 bucks.

As far as keeping it an "8", I guess it comes down to two things. Either you have a lot of money, or a lot of mechanical knowledge. If you don't have mechanical knowledge, do you really want to learn on something that you will depend on for a good time? Do you want to have a 50/50 chance that your planned vacation ends up on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck on day 1 because of a repair that you made?

If you were 18 and learning how to change your brakes on your Ford Tempo, that's one thing, but if you don't know how to change your oil, I wouldn't suggest picking up a 20 year old camper unless you have $1,000 - $2,000 to spend on it every year. Not just on maintaining it, but you will always want upgrades.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, at all times, try to keep the gender issue out of my posts. Yes I have whinged (whining to others) but I've heard a lot of frustrated, whining males. Again don't play the gender issue, it's 2010 and we are all capabable of doing the same things. Some just do it better but isn't that why we are here to learn and help others.

I was a good well known sailor and people used to say, "you are a good woman sailor" and my reply was that "I was a good sailor" (yeh I could sail circles in 28 ft keelboats around some men and I did more solo sailing than a lot of men. My point is other than men not being able to have a baby [well one did but he kept his important woman parts) the genders are not so much an issue or at least should not be.

To the best of my medical knowledge Vanagonitis knows no gender Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did this become a soap box for feminism?

Oh great, I fed the troll.

/end thread.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hero419 wrote:
. . . If you were to put 2wd water cooled Westy's on a rating scale, 1 being a parts van and 10 being an overpriced Go Westy van, an 8 should cost around 10,000 bucks . . .

I've been sorta following this thread, but it is starting to get long enough that it is reaching tedium. Before I stop tracking this exchange, I would like to say there are so MANY variables in the equation that no one can really say what the price of a van should be - it will be whatever a willing seller and willing buyer settle on.

After some years of buying things, both new and used, with wheels that go around, I can report that most sellers are liars, some more than others of course and vehicle presale inspection gurus can only tell you what is hinky at the time of the inspection.

The vehicles which I've regretted buying the most were the ones I just had to have at that time. So, the best advice I can give is to wash the stars out of you eyes, put on your horse trader's hat, and beat down the seller as much as possible - you'll need the savings to cover whatever was not disclosed, especially with a Vanagon.

Instead of trying to find a mint, original van (certainly a RARE commodity nowadays), perhaps a better approach is to find the cheapest solid van you can then do a TOTAL rebuild starting with a Bostig conversion and transaxle rebop. That's what I would do.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

troll? Hasn't this been used in a derisive way before. Hero, you see way too may trolls or is it always the same troll?.

And I am not a feminist, never have been and I didn't mean this that way, I'm just saying its not necessary to differentiate between genders>>> directed at women mostly. Sorry upset many of you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said feminism was a bad thing, just didn't think this was the venue.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hero you send me a pm but I can't reply because I'm on your IGNORE list. Why bother sending me an email. I sent you an explanation in response to your PM but it went into the ether.

Succinctly we are all special people we all own or have an invested interest in Vanagons. We all help and share in here which is the reason for Samba. There are lot's of people I'm not into but I don't have one person on my ignore list because if someone wants to say something or explain something, I'm open minded.

So remember that this thread started out as somebody's "fantasy ' which was followed by a lot of effort by sambanista's.

p.s. I am not now, nor have I ever been a feminist. I am a female human being, period. I've always thought outside of the box, originally a crib to begin with. So I'd appreciate no inference towards me as a feminist nor of making feminist remarks. Accuse me of chauvinistic remarks and I may very well utter them once in a while as in "he is but a mere mortal man">>>>> any man! Laughing

Female Human Being who has always thought for myself. Wink

Last edited by DAIZEE on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
tourmaline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee: 'Feminism' has nothing to do with it. I simply asked one particular poster not to write dismissive comments toward me just because I'm a female with admittedly limited mechanical knowledge [at this point]. And the reason I put 'I am a woman... ' in my signature was because I got a few PMs and responses in which people addressed me as dude and buddy and I wanted to make it clear that I'm not a dude.
And regarding my "fantasy" that you seem so hung up on...perhaps that was a bad word choice. I don't have stars in my eyes, I am going into this with eyes wide open. I was just using that word to convey that my searching for my ideal '91 Westy was just theoretical at this point: I am nowhere near ready to buy, so for now it remains "a fantasy." But thanks to many of the responses in this thread, I feel much more equipped to make the best decision when I am ready to buy.
Please let's not get too sidetracked in this thread by things like "feminism" and semantics. If you want to post about the topic at hand - what to look for when buying a V. Westy - then fine, but I don't care for the way some people have of veering the subject off track...Not trying to be rude, just trying to keep it real and relevant.

Morymob, Hero419, and RicoS: Thank you, some very interesting info and good advice. I appreciate it.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say where your at but I've found some great deals on westys by putting a want ad in the paper. Not to long ago when I was looking for a vanagon I put a want ad and was offered a really nice rust free 91 auto westy with a recently rebuilt engine for only 5k. The van was cherry too.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourmaline: good on you. You already have Vanagonitis even before you buy one. You are to be reckoned with. Happy Hunting. Geographical area would be helpful for leads to be given. Don't even need a city, State/Province/European all help. An example only, I live in Southern Ontario but both my Vans have been from Wa State (they are usually in good shape out near the West Coast but quality ones can be found anywhere)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria Steinem drives a Vanagon--what's with the anti-ERA issues?

As long as tootsies wanna be my equal, let them worry about how-to's.

I'm pretty sure June Cleaver, Harriet Nelson, Alice Kramden or Donna Reed wouldn't have this kinda problem--

Back To the Dina Shore melody---

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

I'm pretty sure June Cleaver, Harriet Nelson, Alice Kramden or Donna Reid wouldn't have this kinda problem--

Because in their day, women gave up their careers to be wives and mothers and lived in a "yes, ma'am; no, sir" world. We're now living in the 21st Century, a time when women can choose to not be barefoot and pregnant while standing in front of a hot stove, and choose the car they wish to drive. Rolling Eyes

The OP owns a Vanagon and is seeking advice in buying a late-model version of the vehicle she already owns in a Vanagon-specific forum. She didn't ask whether buying a Vanagon would be a good idea, she didn't ask for comparisons between a Vanagon and a Ford. She asked which of the two Vanagons presented would be a better option. If your answer is "neither", then say so and offer up other Vanagons as examples of what would be a better deal and why. She doesn't give a rat's behind about a Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota (and frankly, I don't either); she wants a late-model Westy and there's no changing that decision (as men, you guys should know better than to try to change a woman's mind Wink Razz ).

Millions of people around the world own and drive old water-cooled VWs, many are daily-drivers. It doesn't matter if it's a Vanagon, a Jetta, a Golf or a Rabbit... they're all over 20 years old and they all will require regular attention, whether they're driven daily or just on Sundays.

tourmaline: Been there, done that with the signature line on another car forum... didn't help not one bit. Additionally, many community colleges have "shop" classes; you might try that route, rather than a trade school. I, myself, learned a bit from my dad and, most importantly, by cracking open the repair manuals and getting grease under my fingernails. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Because in their day, women gave up their careers to be wives and mothers and lived in a "yes, ma'am; no, sir" world.>>
Homemaking was their carrer.
They chose to have something holding up their cleavage rather than have a bon-fire & get stuck paying income taxes that Gloria worked in acquiringfor the IRS.
Smart Girls--

<<We're now living in the 21st Century, a time when women can choose to not be barefoot and pregnant while standing in front of a hot stove, and choose the car they wish to drive.>>

No kidding.
Most women I talk to wished they could be barefoot & pregnant again rather than having to work--they wanna go backwards.

<<The OP owns a Vanagon and is seeking advice in buying a late-model version of the vehicle she already owns in a Vanagon-specific forum. She didn't ask whether buying a Vanagon would be a good idea>>

The units she came up with sure aren't.

<< she didn't ask for comparisons between a Vanagon and a Ford.>>

Who compared anything?
I said she would be better off with one of the big 3 SMB's than a labor intense Vanagon for 25 big ones.

I didn't compare a VW to anything--

<<She asked which of the two Vanagons presented would be a better option.>>

None.

<<If your answer is "neither", then say so and offer up other Vanagons as examples of what would be a better deal and why.>>

Too little for too much.

<<She doesn't give a rat's behind about a Ford, Chevy, Dodge>>

You know that for a fact?
Ok--your Paul Winchel--

<< or Toyota>>

Din't mention that---

<<she wants a late-model Westy and there's no changing that decision>>

Wait--I'll take care of that.

<<Millions of people around the world own and drive old water-cooled VWs, many are daily-drivers.>>

That only goes to show that yes Elizibeth there are some wacky folks out there.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.K. just as an aside and not reacting, just curious. Who services Gloria Steinman's Vanagon? I hope she has some man involved in some way Smile
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
T.K. just as an aside and not reacting, just curious. Who services Gloria Steinman's Vanagon? I hope she has some man involved in some way Smile

Rosie Odonnel Wink
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE- try staying on topic, the OP already asked for that Shocked No need to respond.

Shopping for a vanagon on this website is a little hard. On one side the owner may have experience with the vehicle and has maintained it well and on the other side the seller might just be trying to get top dollar for their POS.
Looking on craigslist or the newspaper in your area might net you the right van. Be patient and don't settle for a subpar example of the van that you want.
I drive my truck around all of the time and I make it home from every trip even those over 1000 miles without a tow. It can be done.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, it's Gloria Steinem, not Steinman.

Gloria Steinem drives a Vanagon? You gotta be kidding. Maybe we should arrange a meet and greet with Tom Hanks.

Once back in the 70s I showed a few gals how to tune up their AC VW's, points, plugs, tappet adjustments, simple stuff. All of us there for the wrong reasons. They, because given Lib they thought they should be, I because of the usual Male Chauvinist Pig ulterior motives. Strange remembering these hotties peering at valve cover gaskets and the like. Probably the last time they did it, too.

Anyway, back on point, I asked a question about the OP's intended usage, which I think is super important. Do you plan on getting way off the beaten track, or is this vehicle for around town and state park camping? Answer this and it will determine the level of reliability, mechanical knowhow, etc. that you need.
wiartonallan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to start any kind of war here but that is EXACTLY why I installed a Bostig in my 85. I already had the Vanagon but the question was should I invest more to make it work for me. Real or imagined that conversion (Bostig) gave me the confidence that I would reduce, dramatically, my chances of being stuck beside the road. So far, so good. If I was a skilled WBX mechanic the orginal set up would probably not bother me.

I have been able to take my Westy on a couple of memorable trips that I would not have undertaken before changing engines to something that I feel I really understand.

hero419 wrote:
Interesting thread.

Advice I would give anybody when it comes to our vans.

If you were to put 2wd water cooled Westy's on a rating scale, 1 being a parts van and 10 being an overpriced Go Westy van,
an 8 should cost around 10,000 bucks.

As far as keeping it an "8", I guess it comes down to two things. Either you have a lot of money, or a lot of mechanical knowledge. If you don't have mechanical knowledge, do you really want to learn on something that you will depend on for a good time? Do you want to have a 50/50 chance that your planned vacation ends up on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck on day 1 because of a repair that you made?

If you were 18 and learning how to change your brakes on your Ford Tempo, that's one thing, but if you don't know how to change your oil, I wouldn't suggest picking up a 20 year old camper unless you have $1,000 - $2,000 to spend on it every year. Not just on maintaining it, but you will always want upgrades.

85 Westfalia/Bostig
18 Tigun
08 Frieghtliner Sprinter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Homemaking was their carrer.
They chose to have something holding up their cleavage rather than have a bon-fire & get stuck paying income taxes that Gloria worked in acquiringfor the IRS.
Smart Girls--

Most women were required by their men and/or society to give up their original careers (teaching, secretarial, etc.) to become housewives. They lost most of their independence and relied on their husbands for "salary" payments.

Terry Kay wrote:
No kidding.
Most women I talk to wished they could be barefoot & pregnant again rather than having to work--they wanna go backwards.

This woman wants nothing to do with being pregnant. I'd much rather work to build up a bank account that allows me to be barefoot anywhere in this world, with or without a man by my side. Most women I talk to wouldn't get married if they had an opportunity to live their lives over again; after the guys I've dated, I can sure as hell understand why.

Terry Kay wrote:

I didn't compare a VW to anything--

I didn't say you did.

Terry Kay wrote:

Ok--your Paul Winchel--

No, I'm Paula, Volkswagen enthusiast who comprehends the OP's stated quest for a Vanagon Westfalia.

Terry Kay wrote:

Din't mention that---

Didn't care, I was making a point.

Terry Kay wrote:

Wait--I'll take care of that.

No comment.

Terry Kay wrote:

That only goes to show that yes Elizibeth there are some wacky folks out there.

It's what makes this great globe go 'round. Boring people drive Toyotas; fun people drive Volkswagens.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Razz

Wait, what was this thread about?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: