Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix ignitor problem
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Pertronix ignitor problem Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just installed a pertronix ignitor in my 75 FI bus and am having a stange problem. The engine starts and idles fine, so I set the timing at 5ATDC and the idle at 800. Next i pushed the throttle to 1,500 rpm then let off. Now the idle hangs around 1,000 rpm? What gives? If i shut the bus off then start it again the idle goes back to normal. Anybody have any ideas?
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like your advance is sticking. Maybe the petronix module is causing some friction where it shouldn't.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill never buy another Pertronix again. Bought 2, 1 for my FI 76 bus, and 1 for my dual carb 72 bus. Both died on me in the middle of nowhere, one second I'm humming along next thing I know bam no spark. Turns out both "Flame Thrower" coils crapped out on me, both within a few months of each other. My mechanic mentioned another of his customers had the same issue. Pertronix has a crappy 90 day warranty. They refuse to help me. Then last week my mechanic calls, he has another customer with same Issue. Needless to say, I told him points or compufire or hotspark. Avoid any which require a special after market coil.

NEVER AGAIN!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Ill never buy another Pertronix again. Bought 2, 1 for my FI 76 bus, and 1 for my dual carb 72 bus. Both died on me in the middle of nowhere, one second I'm humming along next thing I know bam no spark. Turns out both "Flame Thrower" coils crapped out on me, both within a few months of each other. My mechanic mentioned another of his customers had the same issue. Pertronix has a crappy 90 day warranty. They refuse to help me. Then last week my mechanic calls, he has another customer with same Issue. Needless to say, I told him points or compufire or hotspark. Avoid any which require a special after market coil.

NEVER AGAIN!

Now that's funny.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp it looks like Compufire takes a special aftermarket coil setup, no experience with it but i'm wary.

Why was hotspark highlighted in your quote, are they low quality? I was hoping the fact that the stock coil could be used along with no additional coil wiring would be a good thing, am I wrong?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix ignitor problem Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:
Pertronix ignitor problem

A Pertronix Ignitor is one of the finest additions you can do to a dub. Your problem isn't the Ignitor. Although maybe the wires are hanging up and preventing movement of the points plate. Or other problems with the advance components.
12 years on my Igniters and never any sort of reason to not be totally delighted. However once I pulled the wires too tight thru the distributor body and a wire was getting rubbed by the rotor. It wore the insulation in one spot and might have ended up a problem.
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree that maybe the advance was sticking because my wires are too tight but if that is the case then why would it reset after I shut the engine off and restart it?

Also, quick update... Since I put the point back in the bus has been running fine, until I took it out for a quick trip and now it has been randomly misfiring at idle. I tried several time to adjust the points and also pulled all plugs and cleaned them. Seems like one thing after another keeps going wrong lately Sad
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you put a few drops of oil on the felt under the rotor? This is how the centrifugal advance gets its lube. You need to make sure the breaker plate moves freely as well. It is "greased for life" which means it needs to be disassembled cleaned and relubed.

Your vacuum advance may not be fully returning to the idle position. Suck on the retard can and see if it holds vacuum. If you centrifugal advance springs are getting weak then once you rev the engine the mechanical advance may not be returning fully to the no advance position. This is why I advocate not setting the timing at idle, it is just not always possible to set the idle accurately this way. Set it at full mechanical advance at 28° BTDC at 3500+ rpm hoses off or set it statically at 7.5° BTDC.
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Have you put a few drops of oil on the felt under the rotor? This is how the centrifugal advance gets its lube. You need to make sure the breaker plate moves freely as well. It is "greased for life" which means it needs to be disassembled cleaned and relubed.

Your vacuum advance may not be fully returning to the idle position. Suck on the retard can and see if it holds vacuum. If you centrifugal advance springs are getting weak then once you rev the engine the mechanical advance may not be returning fully to the no advance position. This is why I advocate not setting the timing at idle, it is just not always possible to set the idle accurately this way. Set it at full mechanical advance at 28° BTDC at 3500+ rpm hoses off or set it statically at 7.5° BTDC.

Wildthings, this is all good info but, the problem does not exist when I replace the electronic ignition with the original points. That is why I am so confused.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation

Last edited by ned on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should of stayed with points.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Avoid any which require a special after market coil.

NEVER AGAIN!

you are aware that the pertronix you curse for needing a "special aftermarket coil", uses the same coil as you need "stock", aren't you? it would have been in the installation instructions...

sjhotz wrote:

Turns out both "Flame Thrower" coils crapped out on me, both within a few months of each other.!

should have just used the coil you had on with the original points...

Glenn wrote:

I'm sure glad I never fell for that load of it.... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:

Hey, you forgot the SH. Wink
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

GEX has. Just sayin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sallittjob wrote:

Wildthings, this is all good info but, the problem does not exist when I replace the electronic ignition with the original points. That is why I am so confused.

Could be that with points you have enough extra drag and vibration of the distributor can and advance shaft that it causes a full return to base timing, but when you have the Pretronix installed you do not get full return.
busnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem and it turned out in my case that the pertronix supplied grommet and strain relief were too big and they rub ever so slightly on the vacuum advance plate which prevents it from consistently returning to "home". The fix is to trim the inside edge of the grommet and the large diameter part of the strain relief cone that fits into the grommet. Just take a pair of sharp scissors and cut a "flat" section into both. Then when installing the grommet and strain relief make sure the flat section faces down toward the advance plate. The flat gives enough clearance so that grommet isn't dragging on the advance plate.
Worked for me.... good luck.
'64 Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
bugninva wrote:

Hey, you forgot the SH. Wink

I know... the forums are full of guys complaining how their points failed and they got stuck on the side of the road.

Assuming is a 10:1 ratio of points vs points replacements you'd expect thousands of posts. (I wonder where they all are Think )

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busnerd, this is a good point you bring up and I will try to trim my grommet as well.

Ok, so I just want to explain some of my "can't sleep, trouble-shooting the bus in bed" (think of the picture of that guy in the muir book) thoughts.

So, I first think that my misfire problem with the points may be due to the fact that I leaned the idle mixture out on the airflow sensor after I installed the pertronix, after I went back to the points I forgot to re-adjust. It seems that this would be a good explanation because the problem only occurs randomly and it typically only misfires at idle (if I'm correct AFM bypass does not affect the mixture when the engine is revved only at idle. Next, (if the grommet is not the problem) the FI system calculates engine speed from the wire connected to the 1 terminal on the coil. Is it possible that the signal from the pertronix is different than the signal from the original point so the computer is not returning the engine to idle? I pulled the plug off of the coil for the pertronix while the engine was revving high, the engine immediately began to die, then I plugged it back on and the engine idled properly.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I know... the forums are full of guys complaining how their points failed and they got stuck on the side of the road.
Assuming is a 10:1 ratio of points vs points replacements you'd expect thousands of posts. (I wonder where they all are Think )

actually, that's an easy question to answer.... the same reason that folks don't post about failed sparkplugs and such... they are *expected* to fail eventually....and they are "cheap".... we don't see alot of posts about flat tires, worn out windshield wipers, and those damn rubber pedal pads that wear out either, but they do.... folks just seem real quick to jump on bandwagons and to complain when they spend more than the few dollars for the points....(if you really want to get technical, there are plenty of posts from folks asking for help because their car just stalled and is sitting somewhere and they can't get it to start...lots of times those problems are ignition related, but those are easy to forget if it's not a pertronix).... I can say with 100% certainty that I've had way more point/condensor related "breakdowns" than with pertronix... and I never posted a thread about it... but I'll be damn sure to post about my pertronix if it *ever* does decide to fail... I promise...for you... Laughing

GEX has. Just sayin
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
sjhotz wrote:
Avoid any which require a special after market coil.

NEVER AGAIN!

you are aware that the pertronix you curse for needing a "special aftermarket coil", uses the same coil as you need "stock", aren't you? it would have been in the installation instructions...

sjhotz wrote:

Turns out both "Flame Thrower" coils crapped out on me, both within a few months of each other.!

should have just used the coil you had on with the original points...

Glenn wrote:

I am honestly confused, because I was told by Pertronix that I was not able to use the stock coil (it would not put out enough juice, I specifically remember this because I did not want to have to buy 2 new coils!), that I must buy a Flame Thrower Coil with the Ignitor (not the Ignitor II, which they did not make at the time for my 76 bus with stock dizzy and 72 bus with stock dizzy). You can be dismissive and condescending with me if you wish, it does not change the reality that both units failed within a very short time of each other, and my mechanic of 30+ years (a damn good VW mechanic) has seen 5 units fail this year alone among his customer, odd thing is we all bought at roughly the same time period roughly 2 years ago, perhaps a bad lot? Seems oddly suspicious.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: