Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a Super Beetle Baja Kit in North Georgia
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Looking for a Super Beetle Baja Kit in North Georgia Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm new to VW's. I bought a super beetle a couple months back and I plan to turn it into a Baja. However, I cannot find a Baja kit anywhere that will fit it. I can buy one online, but I don't really want to pay $500 for one. My current plan is to find a junked baja and just take the kit from it. Unfortunately, I can't find any. Does anyone know of any junk yards that specialize in VW's in the North Georgia area?

Also, I've read that the only difference in the kits is the front fenders, hood, and nose; the engine cowl and rear fenders are the same. Is the any truth to that?

Thanks for any help!
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't really baja a super due to the McPherson strut sytem- that and you would need to custom fab suspension points and mount points for the baja kit

If you want a baja you should sell the super and find a standard with beam style front suspension
Shaff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read about the suspension problems, but I don't really care about that. I will be using it as a daily driver, instead of an off road vehicle; I just like how they look.

I'm still looking for a junk yard, or any junked Baja Supers around, but I did find an interesting post on Craigslist. Someone is selling a normal beetle, but offered to throw in a Super beetle that has been chopped into a baja. I emailed him and am now waiting to hear back. Hopefully it has a baja kit on it!
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look for a member by the name of alexvw, he has a super baja.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adams77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a super baja in a junkyard in Jefferson? area about 3 months ago. It was a smaller yard and I cant remember the name.....
Shaff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the replies.
Alex's Super Baja thread is awesome.
Also, Adams77, do you happen to remember where it was in Jefferson, or what road it was on? If not, no worries; I'll just be harassing every junkyard around Jefferson come sunrise tomorrow.

Another question, though it is off topic. My girlfriend allowed me to get a VW under one condition: it needs to be safer. We've heard several stories about bugs crumpling in head on collisions and I'd like to do something to support the front a little more. First off, I don't need the trunk too much, so my idea was to get some sort of roll cage welded into it. Has anyone out there seen something like this? I know that there are full body roll cages, but I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble of routing the tubing through the whole body.
modelmakerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaff, i have a super baja kit in the classified ads. contact me if you want more info.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1261533
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: