Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure problem, HELP Pasco Bug Jam comming right up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Oil Pressure problem, HELP Pasco Bug Jam comming right up Reply with quote

Dp 1600 stock engine deep oil sump. I've been having oil light come on at low rpm's then it goes off when r's go up,the hotter it gets the longer it takes to go off. While taking off the pressure sending unit to put on a mechanical guage, oil comes GUSHING out. Oil level ok on dip stick as usual. wtf? can any one help I want to drive to the Bug Jam this Sunday!!! (its in a 71 Pick up) Thanx
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure problem, HELP Pasco Bug Jam comming right Reply with quote

willieb wrote:
Dp 1600 stock engine deep oil sump. I've been having oil light come on at low rpm's then it goes off when r's go up,the hotter it gets the longer it takes to go off. While taking off the pressure sending unit to put on a mechanical guage, oil comes GUSHING out. Oil level ok on dip stick as usual. wtf? can any one help I want to drive to the Bug Jam this Sunday!!! (its in a 71 Pick up) Thanx

One of a few things... and of course oil is going to come gushing out, its coming from your filled oil cooler. Also of course the hotter it gets the longer it takes to go off.... your oil gets thinner and your pressure drops.

For one, take a read through this. It may answer your question http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431984&highlight=deep+sump. Two, your oil pump could be going bad. Three your oil pump cover might have some deep grooves in it (this should be changed with the pump if you need one). Four, your engine might be idling at too low of an RPM, though this is unlikely the problem. Five and the most dismal... your main bearings might be going.
Take a read through that previous post and if that does not solve your problem grab a new 26mm oil pump and cover. Your engine came stock with a 21 so 26 might push it enough to get your pressure up IF the bearings are going.
Take a good look at your old pump and check the specs on it, if its within range your going to need to do a rebuild soon. A larger pump will prolong the death but not for long.
I'm sure I'm missing a few things but I'm on my way out and saw this had no replies.
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read a lot on the oil pressure problem but it was the oil gusher that had me most concerned I had never seen that before. The thing had sat all night and the next day I thought all the oil would have run back into the sum by then. about the pressure problem this is a newly rebuilt engine. Maybe 2 or 3 thousand miles on it. I have no idea how good the rebuild was. I had to go in and pull the cylinders and fix an oil leak where they meet the case. I found a cracked piston when I did this, so I'm concerened about the quality of the rebuild. Trust me I have thought about the bearings being the oil pressure problem.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the pressure readings on the gauge at idle?
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going out right now to find out
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a tac but in order to get the pressure to register on the, guage even 5 lbs it has to be at least 1500 rpms or so, well over idle.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethings wrong, DUH!, you already know that Laughing Oil pressure should drop to zero within seconds after you shut the motor off, it shouldn't stay pressurized and at 1500 RPM you should have a good amount of pressure, like 20 - 30psi at least. I'd start with the pressure control valves in the case, perhaps they are sticking??
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoud add: This engine ran fine, good o.p. when it was in my 64 bus It ran good pressure in the pick up until I pulled the heads and cylinders. I can't think of anything I could have done to affect the oil pressure when I had it apart. I checked the oil pick up it was tight and it did have an extention for the deep sump.
I hate to admit I'm using that bug to bus adapter to make the engine work in the bus but it had good pressure with that on there until now. and there were no big gouges on the cover.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have picked up some crap from when you took it apart, something fell inside the case and got into the oil galleys. Are you running the stock oil screen? Is it full flowed?

RockCrusher wrote:
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no on full flow
yes on stock screen
I'm going to pull the pressure control valve and the pressure relief falve and check them
I think you could be right about crap in the engine like rtv
when i first bought this eng I was appauled at the ammount of RTV in the old style fuel pump, that's what I said RTV in the fuel pump the cover must have leaked. I hoped the same guy didn't build the engine.
If it is rtv in the eng is there any way to get it out without tearing the engine down?
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your oil galleys are tapped and plugged you could take all the plugs out and remove the oil cooler and try blowing air through the system but this is hit or miss at best, it may lodge the stuff in deeper like in a bearing not to mention it could be in your cooler. Sorry for the bad news but some times you just gotta bite the bullet......that RTV will get you one way or another if over applied.

RockCrusher wrote:
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible find! I pulled the pressure relief plugs and found traces of what looks like RTV.
I think I'll put an external oil filter on for a little while change oil and filter do it again then give it a go.
Will the oil cooler hold small particles of shiz?
I did blow air thru and it shoved the front plunger out (that was a brain storm on my part) sometimes you get lucky.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're real lucky the cooler is OK but you never know. Try it but keep a close eye on the oil pressure and keep a keen ear out for noises, chances are there's still a lot of that crap throughout your motor.

RockCrusher wrote:
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you realize that your working on a patch up that is going to need real attention real soon. I hope the RTV came out and that was it but I doubt it. You might want to consider switching up to 20W-50, at least temporarily so you can go to the show.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the castrol 20-50 out because I thought it might be part of the problem. You think that the heavier oil would be a better idea given the possibility of Rtv present?
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willieb wrote:
I took the castrol 20-50 out because I thought it might be part of the problem. You think that the heavier oil would be a better idea given the possibility of Rtv present?

Heavier oil will bring your oil pressure up, it will do nothing for your RTV problem.
I would toss the 20w50 in it (Valvoline VR-1 has proper amounts of zddp in it) to get to the show. After the show pull that ending out and do what is recommended above.
If that was my engine it would be in pieces.
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that. I'll nurse it to the show and back then pull the engine and tear it down before it does any real damage.
I bought this truck on Eureka Ca last Jan and drove it to Pomona then shipped it from Riverside to Orlando.
I stopped in Whittier and bought a drake booster from a guy there. Darth you might know him, I don't remember his name but he had a small machine shop at his house there.???

Last edited by willieb on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And DO NOT put Castrol anything into your engine again. Currently one of the worst oils on the market. If you want to screw someone.....just use GTX and a Fram filter on their engine. Twisted Evil

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VR-1 is readily available, cheap and good.
Use it for the time being. After your problem is fixed your going to want to use a light weight oil. 10w30 is the thickest I would put in a normal running VW engine. I use Brad Penn 0w30 when I can but that's too thin sometimes. 5w20 seems to be the perfect weight for anything I've done but BP only offers 0w30, 10w30 and nothing in between.
Changing the weights of your oil DRAMATICALLY raises or lowers your oil temp.
In an H case stock build I just tossed together I went from 10w30 which was about 230 degrees at 60-65mph. I tossed 5w20 in it and it dropped them to 220 at 75mph. I had to get a pretty steady cruise at 65mph even to bring it up to 210 to burn the condensation off.
Personally I wouldn't put your car past 60mph until the problem is fixed. 20w50 weight will cause some major heat issues but maybe not so much since your pressure is so low right now.
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look further into the Valvoline, I used only that and Havoline for a long time. Not to beat a dead horse but, way back in the day, the ONLY thing we used was Castrol 20-50. No one know any better. In a cold climate too.Has something changed with the oil or did we just not know any better? Thanx
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: