Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatlandbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

Was wondering what people run, or what would be a good set up for a 1600 sp with a 30 pict 1 carb. I'm running a 140 main right now, but it's a little rich I think, black smoke. But the 127.5 seems a little lean. What are some combinations that work well? Thanks
seethesvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

I wish there was an answer to this.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

Tell us what you mean by the 127 seeming lean.

34 picts with 26 mm vents run 127.5 and the 130 seems to be an upgrade to most...I find 127.5 works best for the 1600's I've worked on.

If your engine is REALLY a 1600 with stock cam, I would expect it to be RICH with the 127 on that 30-1 carb because the vent is considerably smaller than the 34. HOWEVER, IF your carb lacks a power fuel system like the 34 pict then the main may end up richer than we might think in reality while being "normal."

What makes you think the 127 is lean? Plug color? Flat spots?

I ran a 30 pict 2 on a 1600 and believe it or not it wanted a 125 main jet to run without fouling the plugs horribly. Great idling carb but way too small. It did have a power fuel system.

What jets do you have around to try?

-Frank
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

flatlandbug wrote:
Was wondering what people run, or what would be a good set up for a 1600 sp with a 30 pict 1 carb. I'm running a 140 main right now, but it's a little rich I think, black smoke. But the 127.5 seems a little lean. What are some combinations that work well? Thanks

125 main

125 air correction

stock idle jet (55?) .

thats whats in my 30 pict-1 right now, you can feel the difference in the mid range torque from the original jetting. No soot, no stumble, just a nice increase in the torque.

The correct air correction jet is critical for a benefit from a larger main, this combo works very well given the air correction is properly matched to the main for a beneficial fuel emulsion.

mine is a 1600 single port.

add edit: you can retain the 125 air correction and go down to a 122.5 main if you're really looking for max mileage. It'll lean it a bit but it'll still run fine. If you run this lean keep an eye on engine temps on the fwy depending on what cruise speed you choose and what ambient air temp you're running in.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

Jetting is selected for your engine by your geographic location. Jetting at sea level will be totally different than somebody that lives in the mountains at 4000'. There is also a difference between driving in below freezing temps and 110* summers. Timing, vehicle weight & gearing, along with good/shitty gas used all make a difference in how an engine is jetted. Without all this info everybody is just throwing meaningless numbers at you.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

Which 30 PICT 1 do you have? Some have an enrichment circuit and some do not have one, which makes a huge difference in jetting
atticus finch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: preferred jetting for 30 pict 1 on 1600 sp Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Jetting is selected for your engine by your geographic location. Jetting at sea level will be totally different than somebody that lives in the mountains at 4000'. There is also a difference between driving in below freezing temps and 110* summers. Timing, vehicle weight & gearing, along with good/shitty gas used all make a difference in how an engine is jetted. Without all this info everybody is just throwing meaningless numbers at you.

I don't agree the specs I gave him are meaningless. The jetting numbers I gave are in my car and have been for 3 years. They have run in 100 degree summer temps here in the south as well as the below 30 degree winters here.
I also just ran the car against the late winter winds we have here and there's a definite difference in the cars torque or ability to pull against a strong headwind on the fwy. There's also an improvement in it's overall driveability due to the better than stock torque.
Is it a 100+ ft lb monster? No. But there is a noticeable difference in how the car runs and I can actually feel the car hit peak torque between 3000 & 3500 rpm.

This combination on the same exact setup also was run for a good 10 years in southern california on a family members `66 beetle, with all of the attendant factors out there. It is where I learned this jetting combination from and why I used it, I knew it worked.

It is true jetting depends on a lot of factors & the absolute optimum jetting for winter and summer and elevation is going to be different.
However the specs I have in my car are a workable combination which provides a very real flexibility over a fairly wide range of conditions and does provide an improvement over stock jetting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: