Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In Search of the "Perfect" $50 Heater Core...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have now ordered both types but the Febi that came already is the plastic tank aluminum fin type like the stock unit is. It is sold everywhere and mine came from a WorldPac distribution source for $36. The all metal Spectra one has not arrived yet and was from a different source, $43 plus shipping.

The Febi appears at the very beginning of this thread and the Spectra 94652 all metal appears later on. Both are for the same 80s to early 90s Audi cars. Since these fit so many Audis from so many years the prices are low and availability is high.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have not installed either yet so I will reserve judgment until later. My true interest in these is for reasons other than just cost. I am hoping that they will let me achieve a modification for 87+ vans so as to allow the left side dash end vent to provide cool air while the other vents provide hot air. Vanagons until mid 87 allowed this and I miss it. I can get drowsy with warm air blowing on my face. Cool air in the face keeps me more alert. I don't know yet how feasible this mod is.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Audi 85-89. All of the Audi 5000 heater cores weaped. Even after they were replaced, seems they would be leaking within 6 months. They leaked at the tank seams. These were the plastic and aluminum ones. If I were going to this trouble, I'd start with brass one you pictured. Part of the problem may have been the Audi 5000's made a lot of engine heat and add the Florida climate, may have contributed to the weaping.
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone enlighten me? From this thread it would seem that the only vehicle that used the vanagon heater core was the vanagon? Does this mean that essentially all heater cores are "one-offs" ~ that is, designed and used in one vehicle only?

That seems odd, since it would be much cheaper/easier for the mfg's to use a third party product that came in standard sizes. Easier to design with, cheaper to build. The Bosch alternator would be an example. They used essentially the same alt on a whole series of vehicles/engines such as various Volvos, VWs and so on.

Are there no other vehicles that use the same heater core as the vanagon?

Best,

B.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Can someone enlighten me? From this thread it would seem that the only vehicle that used the vanagon heater core was the vanagon? Does this mean that essentially all heater cores are "one-offs" ~ that is, designed and used in one vehicle only?>>

You've got it figured out pretty good.
A Vanagon has a designated front core all to itself, it fits no other--as most all automobiles do.

<<That seems odd, since it would be much cheaper/easier for the mfg's to use a third party product that came in standard sizes. Easier to design with, cheaper to build.>>

Sure it would.
But most all vehicle models have pretty much individual designated parts, heater cores, radiator's,all but electrical parts.
Batteries, alternator's , some starter's, some switches.
Cooling systems are in a different ballpark.

<<Are there no other vehicles that use the same heater core as the vanagon?>>

Maybe in that Boston Bob Zamboni--that's it.
I can't think of too many vehicles that use the rear cores out of a Vanagon either---

The front Vanagon Heater cores are a breed all on thier own, shared with nothing else.
Uncle Andy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Now that the heater core's been installed for a year and a half or so, I guess I should update this thread.

Below is a 1975 Ford Granada Heater Core. Bought it from Rock Auto. It's 100% metal.

As you can see, I bought some brass connectors and a few short pieces of hose to install this through the stock openings in the box. I didn't want to cut anything. Mock me for my clamp choice, I don't care.

The main difference between this one and the stock one is in the length dimension. Therefore, some tin was employed to block off the area at the ends of the new core. I also put a bunch of new foam around the box to keep it from rattling.

See? Comes right out the original holes to mate up to existing heater hoses. Totally reversible if the stratospheric prices of stock heater cores ever slack off.

Heat works great! May be even hotter than stock.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I totally forgot about this intellectually vibrant thread.

I'm currently in the middle of a heater core R&R on my Audi, which uses the exact same unit that shows up on page one. Let me know if anyone wants some dimensions or extra pics before I install it.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: I am curious if 3 or 4 years later... Reply with quote

You guys who put in the Ford and Audi heater cores years ago... how are they holding up? Any issues? I am about to do the front heater core... and am curious after reading this thread

Thanks! Erik in WA
Uncle Andy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: In Search of the "Perfect" $50 Heater Core... Reply with quote

Six years in, still performing like a champ. Ford Granada core. Vanagon is H-O-T with both heaters running even in the teens. Single digits strain the system, but that's always been true. Luckily I own a jacket and gloves.
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: In Search of the "Perfect" $50 Heater Core... Reply with quote

I am going to put in the Ford heater core this coming week. Glad I found this thread - thx all. Unfortunately I had to wade through a few pages of TK inspired banter to find my solution here at then end of this thread. All that banter is just hot air....

I also own a 2002 Passat, and if those Audi heater cores are anyhting like the one in my Passat, you don't want it. Clogs easily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: