Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found a Doka today.here we go again..89 doka Automatic!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Found a Doka today.here we go again..89 doka Automatic! Reply with quote

I think I'm a sucker for punishment I just sold the 88 westy that cost a small fortune to keep roadworthy and today I found a 1989 Doka! good body (except the locker hinges are rusted) really shitty paint, 124 000 km,2.1 Auto? yes auto weird eh
So far it runs great no head leaks but it is dripping from somewhere up top of the centre of the engine??? coolant bottle perhaps?
Been sitting at least four or five years
Needs:
Main exhaust+cat+Smog test $800
power steering line fix $150
Steel coolant line on the engine looking a little crusty
1 gate catch$?
the coolant leak fixed$?
Brakes for sure$?
Can any of you guys fill in the blanks I sent all my reciepts with the westy Confused yeah I'm trying to reason if it's really worth it
I know it's probably one of the last imported here and it's loaded for a work truck I plan on using it during our major house reno and a daily

Mini R53 bob the tomato

Last edited by 66 dormi on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Doka Applause
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a Doka today.here we go again..Doka buying tips?? Reply with quote

88 westy wrote:
I think I'm a sucker for punishment . . . I'm trying to reason if it's really worth it

Is it affordable? Just buy it!

Last edited by funagon on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you and where is it?
Does it need to be imported?
Does it have a ZZZ in the vin?
How bad is the rust in the locker area?
How bad is the bed?
The gate latch is about $150 EACH
If the paint job isn't of good quality I would expect the prep work to also be as bad. Rust or damage would almost be expected to be hidden somewhere.
Pictures?
Has it been to a pro who knows vanagons to be looked over recently? I would have a preinspection done before buying if you get to that stage.
Just buying the car without doing your homework would be foolish.
MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

The gate latch is about $150 EACH

for the treasure chest or the bed gates?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gate latch
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only be concerned about it missing parts that might be hard to find & anything damaged or rusty that are hard to replace. If you're familiar with vanagons (which is sounds like you are), then I wouldn't worry about the mechanicals.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would only be concerned about it missing parts that might be hard to find & anything damaged or rusty that are hard to replace.

That would be everything from the front doors back which are truck only. Mechanically they are the same as a vanagon of the same drivetrain type.
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open up the engine bay hatches and have a really good look at the body metal and bed frame you can see out along the sides of the truck bed. You'll need a good flashlight.

You will likely see rust there. How much rust you are willing to put up with is up to you, but I would probably walk away if there was serious rust on the frame itself (unless the truck is a really really good deal). For reference, when I say "frame", I'm referring to the structural portion that the dropside hinges are welded to. The rust you'll see will be along the inside seam where the side metal has been spot welded on. The frame itself is likely a source of some moisture in this area. It is constructed from a c channel with a plate spot welded along its length which close off the bottom and completes a box section. At the back of the truck, there are rubber plugs sealing it. But over the years, if water gets into the frame, it will have seeped out along its length as far forward as the front corner of the truck bed.

The whole area above and forward of the engine has been exposed to years of warm moist air coming up from the road, so try to check the entire area out really well. As well, any water that may have collected and flowed forward and down over the wheel arches should have drained out from a scupper above the outside bolts on the trailing arms. If this area was blocked by bad bodywork (or dirt from offroading etc.) water will have been trapped and you can expect this area to be badly rusted as well. If you are really keen, find the scupper (drain) and put a fine screwdriver or blade in to see if its blocked with road dust or body filler. Serious rust near the mount for the swing arm is never a good thing Smile

Next, open up the treasure chest doors. Rust on the hinges probably means rust inside as well. Pay a lot of attention to the top forward corners of the chest. These corners will have had moisture exposure from water in the bed of the truck seeping down. (If the truck has a slide or bolt in bedliner, it may be concealing rust over this area). Another spot to inspect is found above the doors where the portion of metal carrying the hinges is attached to the bed frame.
The obvious stuff inside the locker is of course anywhere water may have pooled and sat, so check it carefully as the locker is poorly ventilated and may have stayed wet a lot. Water WILL have come in from the rivet holes where the wooden slats are/were attached.

Lastly, have a bit of a look at the area around the third door. Lift the rubber mat or carpet and see if you've got any rust problems from leaking water on the floor or door frame.

After that, you are in familiar territory, everything is pretty much the same as your westy. I hope that this is helpful and doesn't put you off of a good thing.

Here is a link showing some of the bodywork I've done on my doka. Scroll down then click older posts to see the repairs around the bed.

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/

strawhouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another spot to check is pull out the tail lights and look inside for rust, mine had an issue there from the rear wheels kicking up snow and salt
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Very Happy This should be a sticky for prospective truck buyers!!
I've seen a bay window version being restored which is similiar so I guess I wasn't too far off during my inspection I didn't know about the drain plugs, like all trucks that are half decent (theres not many) theres a bit of surface rust on the inner bed frame the locker has shiny blue paint and the engine compartment is covered in that rustcheck stuff seam rust hasn't started yet but if left alone it will be present by spring judging by the back of the panels.
Both steps were rusted out and replaced (poorly) it looks like the underside was sandblasted and then covered in red oxide primer weird?? Confused
The truck has the bench with the crossbar behind it arrangement ie no bulkhead so I guess camper seats will bolt in
Oh the trucks located in Ontario Canada and it's not old enough for import to the USA yet! and theres no market for these trucks here due to the emission aircare testing,age etc,(newer is better mentality)so if I buy it I'm permently stuck with it Sad I'm kinda on the fence on this one plus I'm restoring a $plitty camper but hey I will see if he will take what it's worth in parts....watch this space Very Happy

Central Syncronizer wrote:
Open up the engine bay hatches and have a really good look at the body metal and bed frame you can see out along the sides of the truck bed. You'll need a good flashlight.

You will likely see rust there. How much rust you are willing to put up with is up to you, but I would probably walk away if there was serious rust on the frame itself (unless the truck is a really really good deal). For reference, when I say "frame", I'm referring to the structural portion that the dropside hinges are welded to. The rust you'll see will be along the inside seam where the side metal has been spot welded on. The frame itself is likely a source of some moisture in this area. It is constructed from a c channel with a plate spot welded along its length which close off the bottom and completes a box section. At the back of the truck, there are rubber plugs sealing it. But over the years, if water gets into the frame, it will have seeped out along its length as far forward as the front corner of the truck bed.

The whole area above and forward of the engine has been exposed to years of warm moist air coming up from the road, so try to check the entire area out really well. As well, any water that may have collected and flowed forward and down over the wheel arches should have drained out from a scupper above the outside bolts on the trailing arms. If this area was blocked by bad bodywork (or dirt from offroading etc.) water will have been trapped and you can expect this area to be badly rusted as well. If you are really keen, find the scupper (drain) and put a fine screwdriver or blade in to see if its blocked with road dust or body filler. Serious rust near the mount for the swing arm is never a good thing Smile

Next, open up the treasure chest doors. Rust on the hinges probably means rust inside as well. Pay a lot of attention to the top forward corners of the chest. These corners will have had moisture exposure from water in the bed of the truck seeping down. (If the truck has a slide or bolt in bedliner, it may be concealing rust over this area). Another spot to inspect is found above the doors where the portion of metal carrying the hinges is attached to the bed frame.
The obvious stuff inside the locker is of course anywhere water may have pooled and sat, so check it carefully as the locker is poorly ventilated and may have stayed wet a lot. Water WILL have come in from the rivet holes where the wooden slats are/were attached.

Lastly, have a bit of a look at the area around the third door. Lift the rubber mat or carpet and see if you've got any rust problems from leaking water on the floor or door frame.

After that, you are in familiar territory, everything is pretty much the same as your westy. I hope that this is helpful and doesn't put you off of a good thing.

Here is a link showing some of the bodywork I've done on my doka. Scroll down then click older posts to see the repairs around the bed.

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the seller accepted my offer I went back and checked the buck )half bus half truck!) out in detail but before I run out and blow all my cash the truck has a weird coolant leak coming from the centre of the engine near the back the coolant warning light is on and I can't find the leak uh oh.
("back is back front is front right" John Muir)
what gives?

Mini R53 bob the tomato
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybr I missed it but fuel lines, coolant lines
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed my mind going to see him monday so I should have some pics up next week I found a parts van so that should help keep the cost down plus I sold one of my beetles so now I got a little room Very Happy Very Happy

Mini R53 bob the tomato

Last edited by 66 dormi on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a Transporter in Rexdale Ontario waiting for a transmission or something. It's at a place I get work done. They do Diesel conversion on Vanagons there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the Doka on tuesday and had it shipped to the vanagon experts up here to see if it was really a truck or just another parts donor
When the garage called back I was quite surprised the coolant leak was a broken hose and all it needed to pass the provincial safety inspection (which can be pretty tough) was brakes the aforementioned power steering lines and both mirrors!
Next is the hard part getting the truck to pass the evil smog test government cash grab $$ it's similiar to the california smog test then plates and insurance... another doka back on the road Very Happy
I will get some pics up when it comes back from the shop

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you've got it headed back towards the road.

Getting it through air quality testing shouldn't be too difficult if its not burning oil. Make sure the cat is good and get all the sensors are working if they aren't. If you have an idle test to pass, it doesn't hurt to lean it out a bit at the bypass on the afm (and if the air filter accidentally got left at home, it probably won't hurt either Wink Also, make sure its nice and warm before you do the test.

cheers

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it Laughing
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Syncronizer wrote:
Glad to hear you've got it headed back towards the road.

Getting it through air quality testing shouldn't be too difficult if its not burning oil. Make sure the cat is good and get all the sensors are working if they aren't. If you have an idle test to pass, it doesn't hurt to lean it out a bit at the bypass on the afm (and if the air filter accidentally got left at home, it probably won't hurt either Wink Also, make sure its nice and warm before you do the test.

cheers

Very Happy crossing my fingers and toes! The first ones always the worst (rolling road etest)I can't drive it so it's up to the etest shop which means it goes in not to warm on old fuel leaned right out with a new cat and 02 sensor and all the emission stuff in place incase of a moe spot test ...yup $560 don't the politicians just rock if it was an 87 there would be no etest so no problem Sad arghh
Thanx for the kind word of encourgement though I will keep ya posted

Mini R53 bob the tomato
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have gotten a temp plate for ?10 or 15 days so you could have taken care of some of that. Now if it doesn't pass you'll have to get a bill for lots of $$$$ to get it retested and then it's just a conditional pass and each year its gonna cost.

Sorry I may be confused by what you said. I guess I'm saying Why did you rush it to Clean Air? Safety check is different. Just call me confused Zee.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: