Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex steering rack bushings
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that simple.
I have a pair, big enough to fill 2 prams thanks.
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
joet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Powerflex Steering Rack bushings yesterday. It was a lot easier than I was expecting, especially because it's the first thing I have done, ever, to the steering/suspension of a car.

I removed all four bolts so the steering rack was free, and with the key turned in the ignition so the steering wheel wouldn't lock, I rotated the rack side to side and removed the old bushings with needle nose pliers (grabbing the inner sleeves and pulling hard). I installed the new bushings in a similar manner, and rotated the steering column with one hand while lining up the bolts in reverse order to when I removed them.

How tight should I have cranked down the bolts? I gave each one a real good turn, but didn't yard on them or add any body weight.

Also, when I work on bicycles, I was always told to use grease on every bolt. I've carried over this practice to things I've fixed on the van, but I never see grease on any bolts when I remove them? Should I keep doing this or is dry bolts the proper way on an automobile? Park Grease is what I've used for bikes, though I've been using white lithium grease on the vanagon.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeT,

Your tip about removing all 4 bolts, and then turning the steering wheel slightly is a good one!

I did the same, thru a bit of trial and error, to gain enough room on the driver side to slip in the rear half of the Powerflex bushings.

For anyone doing this upgrade, I suggest you try simply turning the steering wheel to get the needed room to install the bushings; no removal of any part of the steering rack hardware was needed other than the 4 bolts holding in the OEM bushings.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How tight should I have cranked down the bolts?

The torque spec is 18 ft. Lbs.
Park grease and Phil Wood doesn't last on cars, go to a motorcycle supply shop and pick up Belray waterproof grease. If you want to lube the bolts a drop of oil is fine but not grease.
Thanks for updating with the steering rack trick.
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
If you want to lube the bolts a drop of oil is fine but not grease.

Why not grease? What about anti-sieze?
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a simplistic way, grease is just oil with thickeners. When grease dries out, some of those thickeners turn into a hard crud that may make removal difficult. More importantly, grease's much, much higher viscosity can cause a bolt being tightened into a hole to hydrolock and the torque has been reached. However, the correct torque has not been reached and the fastener is not providing the correct clamping force between whatever you're installing.

Oil, by contrast, doesn't really "dry out" and leave crud. Also, it is more able to be squeezed out of the threads during the tightening process so it's much less likely to create that hydrolock effect. A very light coating on a fastener is what's called for. A normal oil drop off an oil can would be way too much, but that same drop on a finger and rolling the threads across the finger would be about right.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
In a simplistic way, grease is just oil with thickeners. When grease dries out, some of those thickeners turn into a hard crud that may make removal difficult. More importantly, grease's much, much higher viscosity can cause a bolt being tightened into a hole to hydrolock and the torque has been reached.

Hrmm... I can't say I've ever had a problem with that. However, typically I dab a little blob/swipe of anti-sieze to the male threads so that when you screw it in, the stuff smears up the outside of the bolt, eventually lubing under the bolt head. The only downside I have to this approach is that anti-seize is a bit messier than grease or oil

But I'm hijacking this thread... So I'll stop there
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'll stop hijacking here after a VERY important point. Never put or get antisieze under the head of a fastener. This changes the intention of the head, which is to provide stiction force to prevent loosening. Threads only. Worst place is using it on wheel lug bolts where the tapered lug bolt and the wheel touch. Absolutely incorrect as described above. Just roll the threads across some anti sieze and you've got enough.

Carry on.....

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more Powerflex items coming soon.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickwerks wrote:
Some more Powerflex items coming soon.
Wink

C'mon, don't be a tease!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a list of all bushings in the Vanagon suspension.
Subtract the Powerflex bushings that are available.
Bingo!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
If you want to lube the bolts a drop of oil is fine but not grease.

Why not grease? What about anti-sieze?

ALL German torque specs are with LUBRICATION. Typically engine oil. I have yet to find the DIN spec for that, but every German trained person I know tells the same story.

Now back to our regular thread......sorry for the thread jack.

Oh ya, and what other products are those that are coming????

DON'T HARASS THE MONKEYS!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joined the club and had the Powerflex steering rack poly bushings installed in the Westy today. If you are very familiar with how your van performs and steers you will notice the improvement easily. Tight steering and improved responsiveness. On the way back nome, it felt like a modern car, fun to change lanes, almost sporty feeling in the steering department, nice upgrade overall.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also put in the Powerflex bushings today in my 83 1/2 sunroof vanagon. Also got half-way through putting in a BMW 3-series power brake booster and new clutch master and slave cylinders! I think that everything now new except for the body and glass!

Gary
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windnsea wrote:
Also got half-way through putting in a BMW 3-series power brake booster

funny, I'm doing the same thing next week, can be done thru the instrument cluster hole without removing the dashboard

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
timbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been 2 weeks of driving since I've "Powerflexed" my front end. Loogy set me up with the steering rack bushings,LCA bushings, sway bar and endlinks too. These combined with Burley UCA's with heim joints instead of bushings, new ball joints and tie-rod ends and my front end feels nice and tight with a noticeable difference in sterring wheel feel and body lean. No squeaks or clunks.
For the few hours that it took to swap out the old,soft rubber bushings the urethane bushings are well worth the price. In the past 4 years Ive replaced the rubbers only to have them deteriorate in short time.

Go Urethane, go Loogy!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have still yet to have any problems with my PS rack poly bushings even with trail abuse and fast driving in mountain roads on a regular basis. I fully recommend these bits to anybody. Applause
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I have still yet to have any problems with my PS rack poly bushings even with trail abuse and fast driving in mountain roads on a regular basis. I fully recommend these bits to anybody. Applause

Word.

Took my van for a "spirited" mountain road drive two weekends ago.. I thought it handled great before with all new bushings up front..
But the new polyUs replaced new rubber in the steerig rack.. and it tightened the feel even more so.

Worth every penny.. particularly where a van's OE suspension is being tuned in general.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the power, the first thing a driver will comment on while driving one of my personal vans is the steering "feel".
I have had Powerflex and a stiffer set mounted for years now.
Huge improvement over rubber!

If you like the slop and swaying of a van in the corners, don't bother upgrading these bushings...seriously, some prefer sloppy steering. Rolling Eyes
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

If you like the slop and swaying of a van in the corners, don't bother upgrading these bushings...seriously, some prefer sloppy steering. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Yes.. like sailing the open seas.

But seriously..
I run load rated D tires.. fairly stiff. 2000 something lbs..

I was a tad concerned that the polyUs would transmit more road vibration.. perhaps not dampen the jarring enough.. of mixed terrain and uneven road quality.

Not so.. Its a nice solid, firm feeling.. not jarring.. transmits road feel, but does not vibrate up your wrists, at all.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: