Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake line flaring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajmarqueling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line flaring Reply with quote

jammor wrote:
I just used The POWERBUILT 9 piece double flaring tool kit from Advance Auto Parts
Kit # 23 model 648610
$36- returnable loaner tool
Used the 3/16ths die (correct word?) on 3/16th teflon coated line (Advance Auto).
Use OIL to help die not "stick". You will use ALOT of torque on the Poly-Armour steel line

Poly-Armour Poly-Armour PVF Steel Brake Line Tubing Coil, 3/16" x 25'
4.0 star rated product | #PAC-325
$21.99-

I broke the first die thing off inside the brake line because Advance also sells a cheaper Flare kit (if you can believe that)-

If I had it to do over I'd just spend the $35 on a line kit-- Didn't want to wait on shipping
Airkewld STEEL BRAKE LINE KIT - 4860

BUT the flares I made work and don't leak!

so is this a double flare kit that you made bubble flares with as the OP stated? Or is this kit a bubble flare kit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elikus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Brake line flaring Reply with quote

I'm confused, is it Bubble flare for all Type-1? The Service manual from Bentley, 1966-1969, page 12 of the brakes section indicates that the tubes ends are "double flared", as shown in Fig. 18.

I'm in the process of replacing my lines on my 66, and I'm looking for clarification on this, rather than asking in a new post.

Thanks in advance.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake line flaring Reply with quote

A double flare is inverted because it's double lapped, not a bubble DIN flare. What will dictate the type of flare to be used is the receiving port. If using OEM style parts on your '66, you'll be using a DIN bubble flare.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: