Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Hey all!

The wife and I (okay, and Westley) are planning to go up to BC and explore Vancouver Island. We're trying to get used to the "lets wing it" approach since we have a Westy, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for camp sites or places to stay?

I see there are a handful of provincial parks, so those will be our backup locations, but we're hoping for more unique or off the grid places to stay.

Near or next to the water would be amazing since we'll be bringing our kayaks.

Thanks!!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Pickup a Backroad Map Book for the area and try out some of the rec sites.
That's pretty much the only way I camp any more!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
Hey all!

The wife and I (okay, and Westley) are planning to go up to BC and explore Vancouver Island. We're trying to get used to the "lets wing it" approach since we have a Westy, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for camp sites or places to stay?

I see there are a handful of provincial parks, so those will be our backup locations, but we're hoping for more unique or off the grid places to stay.

Near or next to the water would be amazing since we'll be bringing our kayaks.

Thanks!!

We are headed up around the 24th of July for a couple weeks. I did purchase the BRMB Vancouver Island BC adventure topographic maps and guide.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backcountry-maps/b...untry-maps

It does have a lot of information.

I also used to go there fishing with my Dad years ago. He is a wealth of knowledge on places to fish and camp. Our Folbot Kayak will be with us also for the trip.

Hopefully we will see you up there?

Cheers,

Ron

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Absolutely on the back roads map. You will get more backroads and campsites in the central and north areas, less gates. Most of the sites are free or very small fee. The logging roads are usually very good, just be aware of you see a logging truck they have the right of way, get out of the way. They are not aggressive, just big and fast.

Lots of lakes and ocean here so great kayaking abounds.

Let me give you a couple of ideas. Just be aware the free sites may have a bit of noise (probably will). If it is camping serenity and quiet you are after, then head to the Provincial parks.

Page 14 Back Roads map B5 Clayoquot Arm Beach, next to Tufino, west coast, stunning lakes, can be a party site.

Page 37 Back Roads map F5 Upper Klaklakama Lake, good sites. North Island, near the village of Woss. Woss is a great place to visit. A one dog logging village. The general store / gas station has everything, including samari swords and (probably illegal) flick knives. Gas is usually a good price too. But don't miss the little restaurant called 'Woss Vegas' great food! Who knew!

For one of the best Easy Kayak trips circumnavigate Newcastle Island from Nanaimo. (Boat ramp off Zorkin Road). A more open waters excellent still easy trip is to the Bellenas Islands, from Oar road beach access in Lantzville (next to Nanaimo)

While thinking, for a good westcoast trip head to Port Renfrew from Cowichan Lake. Caycuse rec site is nice, good beach, on Lake Cowichan. Fun road, great trip. While near Port Renfrew the provincial park at China Beach on Hwy 14 is nice and you can walk a section of the Juan de Fuca trail which has wonderful beaches, very west coast.

I could type all day ...

And the best part of this is our dollar is on discount at the moment!

Let me know if you want some more places.

Mike

Oh forgot great Great Lake and campsite, basic, cheep, but clean Schoen Lake Provincial Park gorgeous. Definitely a don't miss.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

This picture is Elk Bay Rec Site with maybe 5 or 6 campsites on the water. http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/search/search-resul...;type=Site The rec sites are smaller and access for large RVs is limited, so we found a couple cool places like this on the water.

The Rec site symbols on the back country map that you can buy at any gas station was very helpful. For Tofino, it might be smart to figure out where the best places to camp are ahead of time and make a reservation. That area was very popular and worth spending at least a day there.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Strathcona Park! The best camping, heat, lakes and great sites!

We live in Victoria and it's the best inland park by far -- for the Oceanside, do you want to camp in the rig or park and walk in? Drive in with back roads - the best --
http://hfndevelopmentlp.org/campground/

Walk in? Mystic Beach -- Park at China Beach and walk 45 min -- amazing camping~

Try Gulf Islands National Park -- Go to Saturna Island --
For the biggest trees and a real backwoods experience, nothing beat Carmanah Park -- amazing! Real back roads, the best!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Up north, just short of Cape Scott is Raft Cove. The parking is in a clearcut, but the walk along a muddy path leads to a great secluded beach which used to have a cabin you could stay in.

Also check out the orcas at Johnstone Strait, there used to be a campground right there at Telegraph Cove. Don't miss the neat First Nation village at Alert Bay. You can wander into the studios and houses of some of the best carvers in the world. Everything is real laid back to say the least.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

We camped at Rathtrevor Park years ago and it still sticks out as a highlight. It was so good we went to Tofino, realized it sucked, and went back to Rathtrevor for another night. It has a very shallow sandy shore and a mild surf. You can walk 100+ yds out into warm water. Great for swimming, especially if you have kids.
Tofino was $50/night for a parking space.

Point Scott is pretty amazing but we tent camped it on the beach.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Last Saturday afternoon, somewhere northwest of port renfrew, looking out over to neah bay and cape flattery.

Logged area close to the west coast trail, we like the views you get in logged areas Smile

If you click the trips link on the side of the page on my blog you can see more off road type camping on the southern part of the island

https://shufti.wordpress.com/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Free-B-C-Kathy-Copeland/dp/0973509937
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Oh wow you guys/gals are amazing!! I'll read through all of your advice with the wife so we have a plan of attack. Wow!

-Darin
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for camping on Vancouver Island, BC? Reply with quote

Just if it fits in your timeline ... This is a great event to attend as you have your kayaks.

http://www.alertbay360.com

It is not really a race, just a paddle around Cormorant Island, great door prizes, and super friendly.

Excellent campground and after 'the big event' in the evening the native community opens the big house for an evening of culture and a fabulous feast.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: