Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced drag link... wow, what a difference
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Replaced drag link... wow, what a difference Reply with quote

The drag link was the only piece not replaced on my front end and I still had about 4" of slop in the steering wheel so today it was time to swap in a new one. First, thanks to Desertbusman for his great tutorial on how to center the steering box before hand instead of relying on how it was set previously. Mine was off by almost 10" so I'm glad I didn't just adjust the drag link to the same length as the previous one and install it. BTW, here is what the end on the pitman arm side looked like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just curious, the nut that is on the threaded end of the drag link that you loosen to increase or decrease the length, how tight should that be torqued
to once the drag link is installed. The bentley doesn't have any suggestions and my old drag link used a differnt style (clamp) than the new one. I'm not sure it would matter much how tight it is since once the drag link is installed, I don't see how it could spin anyways but I thought I would check.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you buy your new drag link? What brand did you end up buying and where was in made?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsberg West:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211415701G
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got your bus in better drivable shape. Just snug the nut up tight. It's just a lock nut but you do want it to hold the ends so the sockets stay centered.

Do you know what brand it is?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have any markings on the drag link itself, the WW tag just has
the part number '211415701G' and the letters 'G4F1'.
endle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced drag link... wow, what a difference Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
The drag link was the only piece not replaced on my front end and I still had about 4" of slop in the steering wheel so today it was time to swap in a new one.

I thought I would just add to this already existing post..I just changed my drag link yesterday, and I also have a marked difference. One of the ball-joints in the old drag link was worn badly and causing severe play in the steering, which in turn made driving on the freeway a scary experience. After changing the drag link my steering feels much more normal (the best I can describe it).

A strange little bonus: after I changed my drag link, the blinkers now turn off after you make the turn. Before, I had to turn the blinkers off by hand after turning. I guess the extra play in the steering was keeping the blinkers-turnee-offee switch from activating.

I also ordered my drag link from Wolfsburg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Steering Box centering Reply with quote

Hi,
Just did a quick search and came up short.
Do you have a link for Desertbusman's Steering box centering tutorial?

Thanks
endle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box centering Reply with quote

highlandmurf wrote:
Hi,
Just did a quick search and came up short.
Do you have a link for Desertbusman's Steering box centering tutorial?

Thanks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373717&highlight=steering+center+centre

and

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346698&highlight=steering+center+centre

might be one of the ones he was referring to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one was the post I was referring to:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346698&highlight=steering+center+centre
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: