Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge issues ( refrigerator ) not working
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Fridge issues ( refrigerator ) not working Reply with quote

First of all, I have spent the last two days reading the forums. I have been trouble shooting a non working fridge in a 78 bus. She had been working great for years and now does not heat up the coils. Checked the fuses, both of them. Heating element is getting power but does not heat up. Can you just replace the heating element? Can the heating element go bad? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, yes the heater can go bad, if you are sure it's getting power and have tested it for resistance and found none find an old school RV shop, a 12V fridge heater is pretty common. Does yours have 2 elements? as in one 12V and one 110V?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for getting back to me. The fridge is 12v and 110v. The heating element looks like it has two wires coming out of it. The heating unit itself feels like it may be cylinder and fit into a round housing. Does it just slide out if I need to replace it? How do I check for resistance?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this: http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm (scroll down to Westfalia).
The heater is indeed a metal cylinder about the size of a small cigar, it's clamped in and does slide out, for testing you'll have to check for resistance between the 2 wires (or each voltages wire and the common if it has 3 wires) with an OHM meter or test light and power source. The heater has to be disconnected from the fridge wiring for this test.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. What value resistance am I looking for? If it is the heater, how to I get it out and replace it and where do I get another one? It seems to me that it would slide out. I hope i dont have to pull the fridge from the bus. Thanks for the link, it helped me find the problem yesterday.
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you running this fridge? Are you using shore power or are you trying to run it from the accessory battery?

If you are using the battery, don't. Hook it up to shore power and let it run overnight. Make sure that the temperature dial is set to maximum. Make sure the control panel is properly set for fridge operation. Visually inspect your piping for rust and or leaks.

These old buggers are finicky, and I find that mine needs to be woken up about once a year. I leave it plugged in for at least 24 hours and sometimes more. Sometimes parking on a graded driveway will help the ammonia refrigerant to move (nose down).

If you haven't already, start with this and report back.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done that, but it seems my heater element has gone cu-put. Let me ask u, when you turn on ur fridge does it start to heat up right away or does it take a day to heat up.

Thanks
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*VWFamily* wrote:
I have done that, but it seems my heater element has gone cu-put. Let me ask u, when you turn on ur fridge does it start to heat up right away or does it take a day to heat up.

Thanks

My element takes some time to heat up; can't say specifically how long, but it isn't quick. Try the overnight thing to rule it out entirely.

I have seen a few of these fridge assemblies in the classifieds as well:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1025528

*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. It would seem that if I left it overnight it should have warmed up. Ill try to find another heating element. Do u know how it comes out of the housing.

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should feel warm near the heater in a few minutes, disconnect the heater and check it for infinite OHMs or connect the fridge to a battery charger with a meter on it and see if the load increases when you turn it to cool.

Слава Україні!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*VWFamily* wrote:
Thanks man. It would seem that if I left it overnight it should have warmed up. Ill try to find another heating element. Do u know how it comes out of the housing.

Thanks

Definitely should have heated up.

*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I think you said that I can buy one at an RV shop if I need a new one. R they pretty standard when it comes to size.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, take the dead one with you to compare.

Слава Україні!
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the earlier style fridge from a 74. It hadn't run in years and started to heat soon as I plugged it in. Took a while for all the goop in the tubes to get back into sync but once it did it works very well.

Don't know if this element would work or not but it might be worth contacting the Bus Depot to see what they say.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=255070508C

FYI.
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I did not know they still had those. Thanks
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you determine that you had power to the element?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of those test lights. I ordered a multimeter so I can get into the problem deeper.
*VWFamily*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have tested the power to the fridge and have 13+ volts all the way to the heating element but it still does not heat up. I tested the element directly to a battery and it heated up right away so the element is OK, did an ohms test also. I found a picture of the wiring right below the thermostat and mine is not the same as that one. Is the picture correct? If not, how is the wiring suppose to be. If you have a picture that would b great.

Thanks

Here is the forum I fond the pic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398563&highlight=refrigerator
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*VWFamily* wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have tested the power to the fridge and have 13+ volts all the way to the heating element but it still does not heat up. I tested the element directly to a battery and it heated up right away so the element is OK, did an ohms test also. I found a picture of the wiring right below the thermostat and mine is not the same as that one. Is the picture correct? If not, how is the wiring suppose to be. If you have a picture that would b great.

Thanks

Here is the forum I fond the pic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398563&highlight=refrigerator

Unless I'm misunderstanding how those connectors work, something looks screwy. I'm assuming the blacks and blues are supposed to be connected to their same coloured friends, yes?
That connector looks like it has three straight through electrical connections. if so, why is the light blue connection not on the bottom?
Also is there a wire I can't see or is that middle wire with the braided insulation (one of the element wires?) not connected to anything?

besides having a couple of two way fridges I'm not versed in this particular one.
Looking at it I'd either say that the braided insulation wire that is in the middle should be on the left, or you are missing a wire from the middle.

I'm only concerned because if that is a power and earth feed, I get that one set of red and blue are coming from power and an earth point, but where are the other pair going to?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: