Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

H-6 3L Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Yeah, my donk is from a 2001 Outback. Along with the harness, I got the ECU, the steering column (minus the wheel and airbag), plus every little black box not labeled 'airbag' or 'ABS'. Theres a guy here in Germany [www.speedbulli.de] that does 2.2 and 2.5 conversions, and he says he can mod the electrical for me.

As for the starter, yeah, but I had to get one for the manual Impreza. The auto starter is different somehow. Its a shame. I spent $300 on a Bosch 90amp alternator I can't use, and $80 for a new starter I can't use. I'm glad Richard said I could use my VW slave cylinder!

Burley also warned me to carefully inspect Richards bell housing. He says he got one that was of poor quality. I just hope I can get this guy Eric to sell me his stuff. I am desparate to find the cooling system and an engine carrier. I was thinking of going with a modded Syncro skid plate, but was told that would not do. [url][/url]
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:

Burley also warned me to carefully inspect Richards bell housing. He says he got one that was of poor quality.

As I have Richard's housing sitting right in front of me from the same production run Burley saw....I have to completely disagree.

FYI, I am not speaking for Eric, but I do not feel he will be offering individual parts, but will have kits or complete turnkey conversions installed by qualified professionals.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
Burley also warned me to carefully inspect Richards bell housing. He says he got one that was of poor quality.

Do you mean the RJES bellhousing? It's reputed to be the best on the market. I've seen the small car bellhousing and have heard not so great things about it.

If there is anything wrong with any RJES product, I'm sure Richard would like to know as he has spent a long time designing and producing it to make it as good as possible.

The engine install looks fairly clean. The one thing I would think about doing is strengthening the syncro bash bars as they're not that strong and you've mounted the engine to them. Maybe adding a middle support from the bash bars up to the chassis just infront of the driveshafts?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
Domo wrote:

Do you mean the RJES bellhousing? It's reputed to be the best on the market. I've seen the small car bellhousing and have heard not so great things about it.

If there is anything wrong with any RJES product, I'm sure Richard would like to know as he has spent a long time designing and producing it to make it as good as possible.

The engine install looks fairly clean. The one thing I would think about doing is strengthening the syncro bash bars as they're not that strong and you've mounted the engine to them. Maybe adding a middle support from the bash bars up to the chassis just infront of the driveshafts?

MG

I have been in contact with Richard throughout the conversion that is happening here in the East. I have had nothing but positive things to say and constructive feedback to try and make the product even better than it already is.
One point that is still under developement is a clutch and flywheel combo that will work for heavy duty offroading and not be a "lightened", race type with in or out feel. I am still learning from my mentors about what is optimal in offroad conditions.
Another being that for Syncro applications that will see river crossings, mud and winter salt.....a lower housing cover will eed to be made so that the bellhousing can be completely sealed off from the elements. This ties into skidplate and exhaust location and is not as easy as one thinks. It will be done, none the less.
Anyone with specific questions may contact me directly or I invite you to contact Richard. He has been very prompt with replies and info.
If you are on a very tight budget, I would look elsewhere as this product must be imported. Once I have a working conversion to testdrive I may order extra and stock them for resale.
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:

He left the cat off too. strange, because this was the cleanest engine subaru
had built to date [emissions] .

The cat is on there it is just in one of the other pictures. It's on the drivers side perpendicular to the muffler.
Speedbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

as my name is mentioned above, I just wanna introduce myself and give a short comment.

I'm doing Subaru-conversions in germany for a couple of years now and have some experience with 4-cyl. conversions but little experience with 6-cyl. conversions.

I never did a H6 conversion before and I'd recommend for the wiring harness to send it to Tom Shiels in CDN, who is very experienced and relieable or to send it to Richard from RJES in GB. Both are, from my view, first adress!
I did some conversions with the RJES bellhousing and had never any problem with it. It is best quality and fits well. I can't compare to the smallcar bellhousing as I never had one in my hands.

Regards

Jo/Speedbulli
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I misunderstood Burley. I know he did tell me to inspect the bellhousing when I got it (I'm still waiting).
I was going to go with Peter Eberl for the wiring, but he just backed out. Johannes, I wanted to contact you but I guess you didn't get my messages.
I sent an e-mail to Eric, asking if he could add a wiring harness to my order. I hope it works for the German spec motor.
The pics posted here so far are not my build. These are pics of an Aussie conversion, and someone else posted them. MY pics are on the link in my sig line.
It seems my project has become the subject of debate and much conversation. I hope I don't let any of you down.
I won't be able to do this project untill January. That is when Eric says he will have my parts ready. He is selling me a kit (some assembly required*).
There is no (experienced) professional help on this one. If everones products are as good as they claim, then it's time to see if this is an idiot-proof conversion.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,so I have my parts from RJES. Nice! VERY nice! I'm almost ready. All I need is my parts from Eric, and a wiring harness (still looking for that one!), and I'm ready to go.

BTW- Anyone in Germany following this? I need an engine stand so I can do some work on the engine before I install it, and I cannot, for the life of me, find a freakin' engine stand! If you do have one, and you are willing to rent it out to me for a month/ 2, please PM me.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John at outfront racing is your man for the h6 wiring--he just tamed the ez30r for the sandcar market. the variable cam timing was lots of work to manage.
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/subaru_JDM_motors.htm
all their contact stuff is there too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
John at outfront racing is your man for the h6 wiring....

Thanks for that. I just dropped him a line. I hope he can help. This is getting frusterating.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you've got the RJES stuff. It really is very well engineered and a level above anything else currently on the market.

I'll keep an ear open for any wiring looms over here but they don't come up very often.

Have you started mocking things up yet?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DehlerPEB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo,

don't let fustration get you.

With an SVX it would have been cheaper, faster and more bulletproofed -- but with the H6 you'll be the King, because you've the first H6 (AFAIK) here in Germany transplanted to the T3/Vanagon.

So, get through it and just envision the date, when everything is solved, you're H6 is idling smoothly in the box and you can say: I DID IT!

regards

peb
T3svx ... currently working on the next van to get a SVX implanted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
Have you started mocking things up yet?

...um, no. I need an engine stand. It's a pain in the butt and not too easy to do this stuff with the engine sitting in a tire on the floor....

DehlerPEB wrote:
With an SVX it would have been cheaper, faster and more bulletproofed --

Do you know my girlfriend? She says the exact same thing!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, an engine stand has been ordered from Harbor Freight. Should show up soon. Just got an email from Tom. Seems almost everything I sent him for the harness is useless. Everything I got with the engine is either the wrong part, or cut off too short. Fukkin great. I guess it's off to eBay.....
wolfsburg4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: wiring harness and computer Reply with quote

Hi Nicodemus

Sorry to hear your harness was not useable. I have a 2002 harness and computer which Tom has already done for me which I can sell, and hopefully it will run your motor, if not you can return it to me for a refund.

By the way, I just sent out the first shipment of parts to you yesterday.

I'm flying back to DC to work on Derek's conversion tomorrow, so I won't be able to ship any more parts until I return in about two weeks.

Cheers

Eric
DehlerPEB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
So, an engine stand has been ordered from Harbor Freight. Should show up soon. Just got an email from Tom. Seems almost everything I sent him for the harness is useless. Everything I got with the engine is either the wrong part, or cut off too short. Fukkin great. I guess it's off to eBay.....

HI Nicodemus,

sad to hear, but thanks (for me) my gut feeling was right. From my point of view --> take the offered harness + computer from Eric, KISS again!. Finding a H6 here in Gery could add another level of nightmare to this story (Availability, pricing etc. etc.).

If you're finished with your H6 and don't need your engine stand: give me a ring, we'll find a matching price (& new home) for it Laughing

I cross my fingers for your conversion

peb
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealer quoted me a price of 500Euro for the big harness and 90Euro for the small one.
Eric- Tom is looking over the diagrams I sent him. If he gives the thumbs up, I WILL buy your harness.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the new harness and ECU is paid for, parts are being shipped, and the engine stand is assembled. Now I can start to work on the Subi engine.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-Hoo!
The second box from Eric arrived today! Coolant tubes, oil pan, cat, harness, ECU.
Eric- I saw the round brackets, I assume for a muffler. Is there more on the way, or do I find my own? Have you got a checklist for the build, or is this a test to see how idiot-proof the build is?
Thanks for everything Mate!

I have the engine stand together, but I'm having a hell of a time finding nuts and bolt of the right size for hanging the motor off of it....

I have ordered the big brake kit from Van Cafe to go with my nice new 15" rims.
I am also waiting on a clutch pressure plate. With only having two days a week free, this is going to be interesting.
On the plus side, I met a guy in my German class that is an auto mechanic, and has a workshop at his house.
My goal is still to have this comleted before Easter. The G/F and I are planning on camping in it for a week. In Holland.
svxcarat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a 3.0 conversion on my 914. They run like a dream. You must get the harness from Tom like they all say. That's who does all my harnesses. Burley is the man for the engine mount, shortened oil pan(plate) and other small stuff. I run a Kennedy adapter plate and flywheel in mine and a stage2 pressure plate. They work great
hope you can find all your parts
good luck
Marco Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: