Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"NEW" Burley behind-bumper hitch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wishing I had gone Burley after seeing this. My GW bumper and trailer hitch look like a noodle after carrying 4 bikes across the east coast. The way the GW hitch mounts to the vehicle is a joke.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
... there is a LOT of slack/adjustment room in the attachment points where the fibreglass bumper is fastened to the factory VW brackets. Every installation of Burley's excellent hitch will involve some fiddling with the notching in the fibreglass. His template has to be considered a guide. Measure five times, cut four . . . slowly.

Absolutely correct and exactly word by word what I was going to say, this was also my experience when I installed mine a while ago. The hitch is really amazing, very very strong attachment to the van's frame.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Burley hitch be mounted onto/into an older style GW aftermarket steel bumper? The ones they did before offering the hitch? Has anyone done it or does it require too much cutting up of their bumper?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
Can the Burley hitch be mounted onto/into an older style GW aftermarket steel bumper? The ones they did before offering the hitch? Has anyone done it or does it require too much cutting up of their bumper?

I have not seen the GW bumper mounts..

Burley's hitch replaces the OEM VW bumpe brackets/mounts.. and the OEM bumper bolts onto/over the Burley hiitch brackets.

Can you take some pics of your GW bumper mount?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: