Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti Sieze on upper A Arm Bolts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Anti Sieze on upper A Arm Bolts Reply with quote

Help me out here guys, I've got reoccurring suspension issue. I've got a 1984 Doka that I re did the front suspension on. I had a 1988 parts van so I used all the later front suspension parts from that one to set it up. Cast lower arms, later uprights. All new standard rubber bushings and power steering. When I got it all done I brought it to my favorite local tire shop to have the alignment set. It drove great for about a month until I noticed a clunk up front in parking lots. The left Upper A Arm had come loose and was flopping back and forth on the cam washers at low speed. I brought it back and they reset everything without a charge. Three days later I noticed the steering wheel was drifting to the left and the van was puling to the right. I checked the upper A arm bolts and the right had come loose. I brought it back to my favorite local tire shop again and they aligned it a third time. This time they said that they can't guarantee that the bolts will stay tight because I put anti sieze on the nuts and washers when I put the suspension together. Could it really be the anti sieze causing the arms to come loose or could there be something else going on?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use anti seize all the time and never had an issue keeping stuff tight. Maybe try using a locking nut if they are having trouble tightening it correctly? It's a pretty big diameter and can take lots of torque.
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A Arm bolts have the original locking nuts on them. They are 27 years old though. I could replace them with modern nylon locking nuts. Do you think if I marked the A Arm bolt location with a sharpie that I could replace the nuts without the suspension going out of true?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use a nylock nut there unless you KNOW that it is rated properly for that use. Nylock is not for use everywhere... YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original all metal locknuts are common in VW, Audi, Porsche vehicles and only about $1 at the dealer. Get the real thing. Nothing that special about the VW ones, many places sell all metal metric locknuts. Forget the plastic insert type.

N0221414 = the VW/Audi/Porsche part number

Mark
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not familiar with this particular application but if it is a deforming type lock nut, then it is ONE USE ONLY
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the people who set the suspension di not tighten them up correctly, then they may well come undone.
i watched while they guy did lucy's alignment, he did not tighten up my upper control arm bolts correctly.
the torque wrench setting is 54 ft lbs.
you could always ad a dab of loctite

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of new factory fasteners. I didn't know the dealer would still have them. With a little blue locktite I should be good for another 30k miles.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same issue with the nut coming loose and the camber/toe going out. On the same side, too, repeatedly. The left side got squared away (really tight) after only a few trips for alignment.

I used nail polish to put matchmarks on the adjusting end of the A arm bolt so I could check it. Three all in a line--one on the A arm, one on the bushing, and the third on the bolt head. The first two stay in line (since the bushing is tack welded to the arm) and give a reference to the third. Easy enough to see from outside the wheel well. You don't even need to jack it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: