Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noah's 1972 VW Type 1 Sedan Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryf1fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, read the whole thread and it took me over an hour - and smiled the entire time. I am very impressed with the work you guys did on this bug. And good on you both for restoring it. So glad that you guys took the time (and money) to do it right, and do it stock - not that there is anything wrong with cal-look bugs, etc. just something about seeing one the way it "was". LOVE IT!

I hope Noah keeps that car forever. It is just a car, a thing, a machine - but it has become something more to both of you. So glad I happened upon this thread "searching" for something completely different for my '69.

Thank you both, especially you Noah, for sharing this life experience. Very Happy
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work guys, possibly the best build i've seen on here.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

barryf1fan wrote:
Wow, read the whole thread and it took me over an hour - and smiled the entire time. I am very impressed with the work you guys did on this bug. And good on you both for restoring it. So glad that you guys took the time (and money) to do it right, and do it stock - not that there is anything wrong with cal-look bugs, etc. just something about seeing one the way it "was". LOVE IT!

I hope Noah keeps that car forever. It is just a car, a thing, a machine - but it has become something more to both of you. So glad I happened upon this thread "searching" for something completely different for my '69.

Thank you both, especially you Noah, for sharing this life experience. Very Happy

Thanks for your wonderful comments. We are both glad you enjoyed the restoration. We like you have read similar threads and gained lots of information and encouragement.

Thanks again.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
Good work guys, possibly the best build i've seen on here.

Thanks for your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed the restoration.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68ohiobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! I am impressed with the fantastic job you have done... I hope my 68 will come out at least half as good as yours. Again WOW! Applause

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6374489&highlight=#6374489
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading through your build thread, your bug looks better than new!
willi557
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, awesome job guys.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the whole thread. So cool to see young people doing this with their Dad! I'm so impressed with how meticulous and patient you were. It paid off big time. One of the nicest total stock renos I have seen!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Just watched your route 66 video, looked like a fun Dad Daughter time together. The flat tire was especially funny. We anticipated the missing lug wrench jack handle.

Noah's Dad
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

AirDirect wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Just watched your route 66 video, looked like a fun Dad Daughter time together. The flat tire was especially funny. We anticipated the missing lug wrench jack handle.

Noah's Dad

It was a fun trip! Yeah that flat was funny. Thought I had checked everything!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Ok, been a while since I updated this thread. We have totally worn out the tires on the bug and since it cannot be driven until the new tires are installed, I decided to start A/C installation. The A/C system is a Volkswagen Products Corporation unit that we have totally gone through. I have checked everything out and it all appears to be in good working order. Disassembled the condenser motor and refurbished like new. Purchased a new aluminum 6" 30 degree pitch 5/16 shaft clockwise rotation fan for it. Was on sale at Grainger for 1 dollar and change. Their shipping is VERY FAST.

Here is a picture of the evaporator installed:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Refurbished Condenser Fan:

AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Type 1 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Got a new digital timing light that has the timing advance feature. Set the RPM at 850, adjusted the timing (-5 BTC DVDA) with the V notch on the crankcase split. Accelerated the engine to 3000 rpm and the total advance was 47 degrees. Removed the vacuum advance and the mechanical advance was 23 degrees. Does this sound correct for a stock 1972 with DVDA distributor.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439103
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Just a short update on the A/C installation. Got the condenser installed along with compressor mounting bracket and compressor. Had all new double barrier hoses fabricated for $187.00. In the process of securing the lines and servicing with refrigerant. Hope to have cold air blowing soon. Sorry do not have any pictures to post. Pictures to follow.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Finally got the A/C installation finished. Giffords, a local hardware store, made me all new hoses using a double barrier type of hose. Used number six hose for the high pressure and 8 for the low pressure. One of my dad's friends gave me some R-12 Freon so we did not have to convert it to 134-A. System works really good. Very surprised at how cold it gets.

Compressor Installation:

Air Conditioning Operational:

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Noah's 1972 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

AirDirect wrote:
Finally got the A/C installation finished. Giffords, a local hardware store, made me all new hoses using a double barrier type of hose. Used number six hose for the high pressure and 8 for the low pressure. One of my dad's friends gave me some R-12 Freon so we did not have to convert it to 134-A. System works really good. Very surprised at how cold it gets.

Compressor Installation:

Air Conditioning Operational:

Is that blowing 28 degrees? That is really ice cold!
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Noah's 1972 Standard Beetle Restoration Reply with quote

Yes, it is about 29 degrees. You gotta love R-12. Actually the system is undercharged by 1/2 lb. I plan to top the system off which will bring the temperature to about 38 degrees. We are going to wait a few days before topping it off to make sure we do not have any leaks. So far it is holding tight. If all still looks good tomorrow we add 1/2 lb of R-12. The purpose of overcharging the system is to raise the evaporator temp above the freezing point. If left as it is currently charged it would eventually ice up the evaporator and stop working. By overcharging we reduce the efficiency of the system to limit how cold it gets to prevent the freezing of the evaporator.
JoeLarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, let me say the build looks incredible, great job Noah and family! I am in the process of restoring a 72 super with my son, and I picked up a 74 standard for myself...hope our builds look as good as yours!

I had a question about the floor pan and heater channel bottom plate install you guys did....when you were ready to weld the new pieces in, did you drill holes all around the edge of each for the spot welds? I am curious as I will have to make the exact same repairs on my 74 and want to be sure I am heading in the right direction...thanks!
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Lower Plate Replacement Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct, we did have to drill holes all around the edges. I would drill 3/8 to 1/2 holes to assure a good strong weld. This plate is what holds the body to the pan. Another item is the weld nuts on the plate. These are just barely tacked at the factory. Give each of these a good solid weld before installing the plate. We had a couple of them let go while bolting the body to pan. Very hard to fix correctly at this point. Weld them to the plate and then run a tap through each of them after they have cooled. This will save you lots of grief later when installing the body.
JoeLarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the reply and info about the weld nuts for the plate. I would most certainly overlooked that part I am sure....I already had the idea to check the ones where the running boards bolt on, as a few have come loose and the bolts which used to hold the running boards on just spin freely right now..thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: