Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I came across this nice table lamp on amazon for 25 bucks.
Operates off 3 AAA, a usb plug or plug into 120vac.

It worked very well for sitting in the bed seat and reading a book last week!
Good light output and dimmable plus you can run it from a usb charge port if you have them installed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GM477G8?psc=1&...ge_o01_s00
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

This is the rigid LED light bar I installed from superbrightleds.com. I chose the warm white color with a frosted lens so the light is very even and well diffused. Really happy with this bar plus a touch dimmer I mounted right behind the driver's headrest, so it's easy to turn on at night from the front seat.

Photos are in daylight, at night at full brightness and at night at lowest brightness.

Oh, and I've had a few requests regarding what light bar and dimmer I bought.

This is the light bar I got, in warm white with a frosted lens:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/aluminum-...1683/3964/

And this is the dimmer I got, which I wired directly into the existing kitchen light wiring:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/single-co...1867/4380/

Very Happy
-Darin

Last edited by WestleyTheWesty on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
jokeraus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

Here's my setup. Flexible strips from amazon installed into diffusers over the bench, stove, and hatch

100% brightness at night.

close up
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

jokeraus wrote:
Here's my setup. Flexible strips from amazon installed into diffusers over the bench, stove, and hatch

Those look great, how did you run the wiring to the bar above the passenger bench seat?
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

Footwell LED strip lights installed with 3M tape. These are wired to the door switch ground so they come on when either door is opened. I haven't checked yet but I'm hoping these will be at the right angle to illuminate the ground so they act as puddle lights, too!

I know this has been done before but I figured I'd share my setup.

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

Darin wrote:
Footwell LED strip lights installed with 3M tape. These are wired to the door switch ground so they come on when either door is opened. I haven't checked yet but I'm hoping these will be at the right angle to illuminate the ground so they act as puddle lights, too!

I know this has been done before but I figured I'd share my setup.

Definitely one of the best mods ever! I bought a footwell kit from SupDude. Excellent vendor! Highly recommended.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1695181
WestiT3_1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

I just read through this whole thread, great work guys.

Has anyone of you ever experienced problems because of the different feeding voltages for the LEDs - car running quite a bit over 12V, with the car in standstill maybe some under 12V...?

Or are you using DC-DC converters to feed the LEDs?

Thanks, Greets
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

WestiT3_1986 wrote:
I just read through this whole thread, great work guys.

Has anyone of you ever experienced problems because of the different feeding voltages for the LEDs - car running quite a bit over 12V, with the car in standstill maybe some under 12V...?

Or are you using DC-DC converters to feed the LEDs?

Thanks, Greets

I haven't modified any of my LEDs. The thing with car batteries is the voltage can vary from 12v (hopefully not lower) up to 14v depending on the charge state, if the alternator is running, if you have a charger running, etc. Most of the 12v LED lighting options for vehicles should run within a range of voltages. They could run warmer or have a slightly shorter lifespan when run above 12v, but most LEDs have a lifespan of 20,000 to 30,000 hours, so it really wouldn't matter Wink
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty and joekraus, can you give us some links for the products you bought? That might help some of us with our LED light kits. Thanks!

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
WestleyTheWesty and joekraus, can you give us some links for the products you bought? That might help some of us with our LED light kits. Thanks!

kourt

Hi Kourt,

I sent the links to you in a PM and also updated my original post to include the links. Thanks for asking!
-Darin

Last edited by WestleyTheWesty on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

kourt

Here is the the LED diffuser strips that Joekraus used.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10m-10pcs-a-lot-1m-...48486.html

Due to minimum lot sizes and shipping they cost about 2.5$ per foot.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I used the well-known 18.5" LED light offered by SuperBrightLEDs for my interior lighting project. See post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8029913#8029913

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

I upgraded from the iPod mini type dimmer controls to flush mounted, and illuminated, controls.

Installed in rear most vent above sliding door. Maybe not a good location for everyone but works so far for me.

A little more info here

https://shufti.wordpress.com/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
moon_patrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

Great thread here! I bought a strip of LED lights to install under the front side of the back bench to light up the floor. Does anyone know the best 12v power supply to tap into in the back part of the Van? Thanks!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

So, I ran across these clever little LED lights at World Market today. They swivel any direction you want and have a strong magnet. Designed for high temps to be used on a BBQ, they are pretty rugged. I was thinking of sticking one back under the engine hatch where it would be always close at hand, and the other as a reading light somewhere in the van:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/mini+magnetic+grill+lights%2C+2-pack.do?&from=Search
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

In my never ending quest to create better storage spots in a tintop, I got a little Westy jealous and coveted a spice rack. That led to mounting these vinyl gutters in the upper corners, which blocked the light from the stock locations. I finally installed the solution, LED strip lighting on the underside, wired from and switched by the stock light housings. It does put the switch in an inconvenient location, but it's okay for now. An incredible amount of light though, without being in your face.

Really like the underdash and puddle lighting ideas. Need to get out on the driveway and make something happen about that.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
lrumanes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

I want to install a light over my kitchen under the spice rack. Does anyone know why several of the light bars from superbrightleds.com such as

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/aluminum-...ount/1683/

say they aren't suitable for vehicles? Are they just too hot, and would using strip lights and a housing make a difference? And has anyone had problem using non-weatherproof over boiling water?

Thanks,

Louis
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

It's because those lights are made to run on 12 volts only. Your charging system on your van puts out more than 12 volts. The light you listed is designed to use a plug in wall wart. This is a transformer that plugs into a 110volt wall socket.
Some folks have used these in vans and there have no problems. Others have had them burn out. Your choice if you want to take that risk.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

lrumanes wrote:
And has anyone had problem using non-weatherproof over boiling water?

I made my own light strips from Superbright's components since none of their pre-built versions (back then) fit my needs:

LED strip lights (non-waterproof versions; suitable for vehicles; voltage range: 9~14.8 VDC)
Aluminum housings + end caps + frosted lenses
Dimmer switches
Mounting brackets

Never had an issue and I cook a lot in my van.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexible LED lights for interior van lighting Reply with quote

lrumanes wrote:
I want to install a light over my kitchen under the spice rack. Does anyone know why several of the light bars from superbrightleds.com such as

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/aluminum-...ount/1683/

say they aren't suitable for vehicles? Are they just too hot, and would using strip lights and a housing make a difference? And has anyone had problem using non-weatherproof over boiling water?

Thanks,

Louis

Check out this Samba member's "Spice Rack LED kit" (scroll through the photos): http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1695181

I have his foot well lights and they are excellent!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: