Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anybody ever made money selling a buggy or kit car?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as I have no one to pass our Manx on to.

I look at younger family members with the same jaundiced eye with regards to passing on the buggy torch I am afraid, but I am hoping that time will either turn up somebody worthy or I will find someone younger outside of the family who really appreciates the work I did and will make the car even better.

While the thread poses the question about whether money is made on these cars, I think a better question with a more certain response would be, "Is your car worth to you what you put into it?" I think we would see about a 99% "yes" on that.
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTBRADLEY wrote:
You could adopt me Laughing I'll take good care of it.

While I may not adopt you GT. Wink Finding someone who will always "take good care of it" is to me just as important (probably more so) than the financial part of selling the Manx someday.
Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:

While the thread poses the question about whether money is made on these cars, I think a better question with a more certain response would be, "Is your car worth to you what you put into it?" I think we would see about a 99% "yes" on that.

A definite "yes" for me.
I purchased our family Manx from my dad (he was always businness) for 3,600 dollars in 1986 and have since put about 8,000 dollars more into restoring it. While it will probably not turn out to be my wisest investment.
None of the others has returned the priceless memories that this one has over the years... and I hope continues to do so for me and whoever has it in the future.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
I agree, at an auction like Barret-Jackson, I think something as well done and correct as Geoff's would bring at least the same. Of course there's not many around like that.

I don't care for the Barrett-Jackson auctions, as B-J just auctioned off an ambulance that was listed as being the one that carried JFK... it was a fake.

bnc
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever made money selling a buggy or kit car? Reply with quote

Old thread from the dead is the only new activity in the Buggy forum! The last new post here was 4 days ago. That's an unnatural length of time for silence here. Confused

I guess none of us have had anything new lately. I enjoyed the updates on the "Low down Hillbilly" and the "Volkaro project car" threads (the previous posts here), but I mostly just read and appreciate the builders work. One is way above my buggy grade (a buggy is about the simple for me) and the other is interesting but I have no experience with air ride and have never seen that buggy before.

In my garage I have been working on wiring and resisting the urge to rewire the whole buggy. The wiring harness is from the EV version of the buggy and I do like how I adapted the 12 volt system to the VW powered version. The 132 volt wiring was, of course, all removed. I am currently working out my low fuel light. The bread board prototype works but I need to transfer it to a soldered board and test in real car conditions. The idea is to use a normal sending unit to operate a low fuel light in lieu of a reserve handle (Mini-T, gas tank is at the wrong end) or gauge (why, less is more).
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever made money selling a buggy or kit car? Reply with quote

I got the street Buggy out of the hay shed yesterday, put the sand rail back, starting on a few things it needs. Getting the valve train quieter for starters, then I need to replace a broken clutch cable. I am again procrastinating on a transaxle change which includes going IRS...

And of course the boiler in the house is leaking so looking for a replacement.

It is a bit of an off season time for Buggies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: