Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another take on the 1.8t swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: another take on the 1.8t swap Reply with quote

here is an example of the 1.8t with out the raised deck lid:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5083773-...st68391113
I see alot of probs with plumbing in the future with where he plans to place his intercooler but we'll see. Lookin good though.....
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! That's always how I planned on doing it if I ever did a 1.8T in Vanagon since I do care about keeping it below the lid. It looks like he used a hybrid intake manifold with a 16V GTI intake manifold sectioned in between both ends of the standard AEB manifold. I'm not sure how well that will flow since the AEB manifold uses oval runners and the 16V uses 40mm round runners, but it's an interesting idea.

I have an AEB that I've been prepping to put into a Corrado. I removed all the longitudinal mount accessories and mounted accessories from an ABA 2.0. It looks to me like it would fit at 50 degrees in a Syncro without modifying the AEB intake manifold. It has quite a bit of a curve already, and with the extra 3" or so the Syncro mounting provides, it might just clear the lid.

Thanks for sharing!

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting indeed, and I agree that's a horrible place for an intercooler.. unless he's planning to drive it backwards.

but I don' t know why I was under the impression that the 1.8T was a 5cyl/VR6 bolt pattern bellhousing Think so it's the VW I-4 bellhousing bolt pattern, and the oil pan/pump too. Drool nice to know.

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I don' t know why I was under the impression that the 1.8T was a 5cyl/VR6 bolt pattern bellhousing Think so it's the VW I-4 bellhousing bolt pattern, and the oil pan/pump too. Drool nice to know.

Dan in NY

same here.
Very nice engine support he has there.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the engine cradle.
Weird color scheme.
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent seen too many 1.8t motors with a 16v head. That head makes most of its power in the upper RPM range, could be a noisy ride! Full points for originality though!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head is still the 5 valve per clinder one from the AEB engine. Just the intake is changed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroluvr wrote:
I havent seen too many 1.8t motors with a 16v head. That head makes most of its power in the upper RPM range, could be a noisy ride! Full points for originality though!

That isn't a 16V head. It's the standard AEB 1.8T (20V) head with a custom intake manifold on it that uses part of a 16V intake manifold.

On the subject of using a 16V head, you could use a 16V engine with a custom turbo installation. A 16V with a Garrett T3 running 12-15lbs of boost makes great power. It would actually be an interesting alternative to a 1.8T.

David
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Cool! That's always how I planned on doing it if I ever did a 1.8T in Vanagon since I do care about keeping it below the lid. It looks like he used a hybrid intake manifold with a 16V GTI intake manifold sectioned in between both ends of the standard AEB manifold. I'm not sure how well that will flow since the AEB manifold uses oval runners and the 16V uses 40mm round runners, but it's an interesting idea.

I have an AEB that I've been prepping to put into a Corrado. I removed all the longitudinal mount accessories and mounted accessories from an ABA 2.0. It looks to me like it would fit at 50 degrees in a Syncro without modifying the AEB intake manifold. It has quite a bit of a curve already, and with the extra 3" or so the Syncro mounting provides, it might just clear the lid.

Thanks for sharing!

David

The passat manifold might fit under P/U deck .
here is a pic.

The early passat 1.8t AEB and ATW can use the early oilpan and mounts. any later and its totaly diffrent.
On the intercooler. i would appreciate any input. i figure this IC is 2.8 times the size of the factory one. i am sealing the engine comp top from the bottom. and one side of the ic from the other. and with the fresh air vents working and a Negative pressure area behind the van it should Suck. LOL more pics to come. i have seen pics of dreadwards set up and the ICis just in the engine comp. where is the air flow? and does it work well ? dredward? or did i miss some thing in the pics you sent me a long time ago? Thx Greg [img]http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/az84gti/84%20vanagon/100_3996.jpg?t=1289271666[/img]http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/az84gti/84%20vanagon/100_3996.jpg?t=1289271666
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: awp/transverese Reply with quote

transverse engine layout engingn latot is the way to go for a readson, mainly plumbing reasons....[/list]
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: transverse vs longitudnal Reply with quote

"I have been doing good and keeping busy with work and selling tons of MK4 parts. Wow looks like he bolted up a 16v intake manifold. Plumbing is gonna be harder for him.I don't like where he installed the intercooler, its definately in the wrong place.Its gona be hard to get cold air flow there.

There is so much better reasons to use a transverse 1.8T .But I am impressed that he didn't have to modify the engine hatch.I wonder how his vibrations are gona be?"
From someone who's done his swap...........
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" i have seen pics of dreadwards set up and the ICis just in the engine comp. where is the air flow? and does it work well ? dredward? or did i miss some thing in the pics you sent me "
My intercooler is behind the pass side tail light, In other words bellow the pass side rear air vent. There is a factory snorkel from that vent to the stock syncro air box. It(intercooler) draws air from pass side rear vent. I will eventually draw air from a fan that draws air from said vent via the factory snorkel to that vent......
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nxt best intercooler set-up is a water to air cooler, with the radiater to the cooler drawing air from the fr......As in the set-up on Stephans recent apr stg3 swap with 300hp+ and almost 300lbs torque.... Twisted Evil ....
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: more updates! Reply with quote

More Updated pics on link!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: another take on the 1.8t swap Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
here is an example of the 1.8t with out the raised deck lid:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5083773-...st68391113
I see alot of probs with plumbing in the future with where he plans to place his intercooler but we'll see. Lookin good though.....

Coolant Plumbing Finished!!
Thanks Greaseworks for the hoses and parts!!
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img] Deisel vanagon Hoses with a few alterations!!Thx GEE BEE Racing!!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good! What is "GEE BEE Racing"?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4800917
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4800917

(Hand elegently smacks forehead!) I should have made the connection, but alas, I didn't. Thanks, Mario!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: