Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most heinous misuse of a VW accessory?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Most heinous misuse of a VW accessory? Reply with quote

Here's mine. The story is it belongs to a local guy. He bought it years ago at a yard sale and has adapted it to fit every car he has owned since then. I asked him if he would sell me the rack and was told He "needed it to carry stuff" and he would never sell it. This picture was taken about 12 years ago. I just saw him recently and asked about the rack. He said his new car didn't have gutters so he threw it away! Oh, the humanity!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Hazet spare-tire tool kit to work on lawn mowers... busted up the wrench heads and pliers on non-metric fasteners, screwdriver handle broke and got replaced by a wine cork, and I ended up throwing it all in the trash about 20 years ago. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34FraserNash wrote:
I used to use a Hazet spare-tire tool kit to work on lawn mowers... busted up the wrench heads and pliers on non-metric fasteners, screwdriver handle broke and got replaced by a wine cork, and I ended up throwing it all in the trash about 20 years ago. Very Happy

You should be shot. Surprised

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MargaritaVillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:
34FraserNash wrote:

x2!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO of my 71 single cab cut a Beetle parcel shelf in half to make a shelf in the cab for his wife to put her handbag.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merlin wrote:
34FraserNash wrote:

And I have another, that I adapted to hang off my tool belt, replaced the screwdriver with a multi-bit mini-ratchet, and use to work on stuff around the house with, like appliances, the furnace and anything else that needs fixing. Laughing
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MargaritaVillain wrote:
Merlin wrote:
34FraserNash wrote:

x2!

LOL... wait until Hazetguy sees this thread! Wink
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

34FraserNash wrote:
Merlin wrote:
34FraserNash wrote:

And I have another, that I adapted to hang off my tool belt, replaced the screwdriver with a multi-bit mini-ratchet, and use to work on stuff around the house with, like appliances, the furnace and anything else that needs fixing. Laughing

Perhaps you could tie a rope to it and hang it over your shoulder like a purse.
That way there would be less strain on your belt.
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
34FraserNash wrote:
Merlin wrote:
34FraserNash wrote:

Perhaps you could tie a rope to it and hang it over your shoulder like a purse.
That way there would be less strain on your belt.

Great idea, Weegie... I could gouge two big holes in the top and run the rope through those to piss off even more purists. Laughing
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Most heinous misuse of a VW accessory? Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Here's mine. The story is it belongs to a local guy. He bought it years ago at a yard sale and has adapted it to fit every car he has owned since then. I asked him if he would sell me the rack and was told He "needed it to carry stuff" and he would never sell it. This picture was taken about 12 years ago. I just saw him recently and asked about the rack. He said his new car didn't have gutters so he threw it away! Oh, the humanity!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't believe it- that's almost verbatum how I got my first woodslat rack. The guy adapted to each car he owned. I spotted it on the roof of an AMC Eagle 2 dr. at night, scary neighborhood, in winter. I convinced the guy to trade me straight across for the steel one on my bug- just to preserve what was left of the slattie. $15 and my ZVW rack and I was underway- all I had to do was stomp the gutter supports back into position.!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: