Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stereo speakers upgrade
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: stereo speakers upgrade Reply with quote

i'm sure this is a popular subject, but being someone who can't do these things myself and who is starting from bare minimum, hopefully you can help me out.

i've got an '87.5 wolfsburg (non-westy). it has two speakers in door and the stock speakers in the corners of the back (boxes hanging from ceiling). i've already switched out the door speakers and this makes a difference. i have a new kenwood stereo which is lovely, too. the wiring is all set for the rear speakers (as far as power is concerned) but i'd like to find some better speakers for back there. has anyone tried the same kind of "hanging" speaker in place of the stock ones, or what have you done? in my last vanagon i put speakers under the z-bed seat but don't really want to do that again.. unless it's my only option. i am a music person... i love good music and i like it loud, so quality is everything, in my book.

thanks!
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you will find in the searches, but I can tell you that speakers came "hung" in the later non-pop top models. For your model, the best thing is to utilize that stock space by enlarging the hole. I have not measured, but a 6" should land in there fine. Make it a 2 or 3 way and you are set. If you have some A/C back there, you will need to modify the vents. I can expand on that if needed but there is not magic pill on that one.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a subwoofer. I run a Kenwood 100w 10-inch bazooka-type sub in my Vanagon and it makes all the difference in the world. It's been my experience that it's difficult to get good bass out of any speakers that will fit in stock locations.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Get a subwoofer. I run a Kenwood 100w 10-inch bazooka-type sub in my Vanagon and it makes all the difference in the world. It's been my experience that it's difficult to get good bass out of any speakers that will fit in stock locations.

Joe, depending on what you are willing to put into the system, this can be true. But your bazooka is a simple and inexpensive fix. I finally powered up my amp this weekend that is only hooked up to two 5.25" speakers in the doors. The amp is probably only running 50rms and the speakers want more, but it hits ridiculously hard. Powered with 100 watts, those speakers will hit extremely how frequencies, hard.

What happens is your speakers gets word that it needs to hit a big sharp base note and fires. If there is not enough power to drive the driver the full required distance to hit that note, it bogs, and sounds like crap. That is why all systems have treble, and bass tends to separate good from bad. Any system can hit the highs (well, this is debatable as well) because the necessary power is little.

To power a speaker full range, it needs to handle the full range, and the power required to make it handle that range in the given space. The amp I have used to work perfectly in my old GTI. It is choking in the van, and I think it is because I need more volume to cover the space. I may have set something up wrong as well. Anyway, ideally, you have a full range coming from a speaker "area" (not necessarily a single speaker). Soundstage is purely a perspective thing so at a minimum I would say that it is nice to hear the full range throughout the van, which means you cover the spectrum at every speaker area. The lower ranges can be faked pretty easily however, which is why you can throw a base across the room and have no idea where it is coming from.

A quality 6" powered well with a component tweet is ideal for the rear and the doors, but you can squeek by with a good 2 way 4", but why? If you have to cut, just get what you want (the rear is a 3.5" speaker hole stock).

The newer amps are super slick, priced well and very efficient. Find a 5 channel like the kicker 700 (forgot the full name). It is like 4x80 and 1x250. This will rule your van, it is small, sounds great, and functions extremely well. You will want decent speakers however with something like that.

Everyone has different experience and tastes. Many of you are thinking I am out in left field on my stereo approach, and some are thinking my system sounds weak, and could be much better. I have enough experience to get a good sound system, and enough sense to not let it drag down my electrical system, van security or pocket book.

**edit**http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610ZX705/Kicker-10ZX700-5.html?tp=115
**edit**
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

$307 shipped here:
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_detail...10+ZX700.5

Font Speakers $179 (see my thread "Booyaa":
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-TI5-TI-5-ELITE-MI...1c150526f0

For rear speakers, start here for 6.5" size (measure first!) I might consider something like this:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_23034_Focal_165_CA1.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_23011_Focal_165_CVX.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18628_JL_Audio_C5-650x.aspx
or a little less $$
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20490_JL_Audio_C2-650x.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_11412_JL_Audio_XR650-CXi.aspx
...but price will ultimately tell.

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... this all sounds complicated. so, pretend you're talking to someone who knows nothing about tweeters, etc. (i do know what a subwoofer is). bottom line is i just want some good speakers but i'm not sure what i can do using that space in the upper left and right rear corners. i don't have a/c so there's nothing but space there. guess i have some research to do.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having trouble picturing that non-westy area back there. Let me look around, or post a pic if you can.

This is all only as complicated as we make it. In the end, you can just set off with a cd player (for instance) that is powered (it says 4x25 for instance) which means the unit will drive speakers without any assistance (in this case, 4 of them at 25 watts). For a great deal of people, this is just fine. This system will work well and bring happiness. Adding a simple sub such as the bazooka mentioned above is another simple mod. It is powered, enclosed, and all you have to do it give it a signal and hook it to the battery. This will suit the vast majority of folks. From there, adding more power gets you, more power. This helps to create a more rich and textured sound stage, and increases the clarity in full range listening.

It is not that big of a deal. I have more time than money to sit around and figure this crap out. Let's just figure out those rear speakers first.

Last edited by Classicvibe on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing yourself?

If you do, beware of the dreaded ground problem to the rear speakers. You may have to run a new ground to the back, or else (if it's like mine I recently installed myself) they will all cut out beyond mid-volume. Very frustrating.

If you are bewildered by all this, it's worth having a professional just install the shit you want, they can do it in an hour or two, and it will work well. It may take you all day to do it yourself, or all weekend, and you still might just not get it right.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... i think i will have a professional help me. apparently the right wiring has already been done to the the rear speakers, so that's half the battle.

thanks for the help, y'all... although i'm pretty mechanically inclined, electronics has never been something i've dabbled in... but apparently should, as it's expensive to have people install it for you. i just want to be able to listen to my good music loud without have to turn the bass to -1 :/
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ran into the same problem. What to do with those factor rear speakers?

Here's a pic.
[/img]

I've tried to take the front grill off to see if the speaker could just be swapped out but the grill appears to be glued on and not removable. Could probably cut it at the seam to gain access but not sure if I want to sacrifice a speaker attempting it.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! thank you for posting that pic, msewalson. i'm at work and can't jump out to snap a shot myself. i'm wondering if bose makes something that can attach to the ceiling, or some company that makes great sounding tiny speakers, like that?
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, I have checked around a little but didn't come up with anything. I was thinking about putting tweeters in them, not sure if it's the right route to go, not a sound expert. Also thought about adding speakers, not sure on size, in the side panesl back in the cargo area. I guess will also need a sub but not big on putting it under the bed.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly what you were thinking, but I've got a pair of Pioneer 3-way 6x9s you (or anyone else) can have for free + shipping. The grills are a little beat up from getting kicked. Previous owner had them mounted under the bench, powered by a small amp:

Personally, I'd leave the stock rears alone for the time being and start with an amp and component speakers for the front and a sub-woofer. Huge difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: