Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bell crank linkage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been developing a cable system myself.....I should have it on the market after the first of the year...the only drawback is not have something to rev the motor from the engine bay.....mine mounts on the firewall side of the carbs....For IDF and Dellorto right now.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damicotile wrote:
I went to the Scat web site to look for their linkage but couldn't find it. I went to Vee Dub Parts site and looked at it but the description was too vague.
I would really like to see one mounted if someone could post a pick as I have a Jaycee a combined coil mount and fuel pump block which might get in the way of the center pull setup.
It also cost like $47.00 compared to CSP's $129 price tag.
Does the Scat one have bearings in the tower?
I want what will work the best, not what is cheapest.
The Scat linkage doesn't use bearings. I used a couple bronze washers to act as bearings. I'm not a fan of the Scat linkage. The website description is vague and so are the installation instructions.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scat linkage doesn't use bearings. I used a couple bronze washers to act as bearings. I'm not a fan of the Scat linkage. The website description is vague and so are the installation instructions.[/quote]

Well there you go. Just proves that you get what you pay for.
I want one of those cable pulley setups with a center pull rig that slowtwitch (LinkSync) is making. I just PM'ed him on STF. I would like to get one.

Joel, make it for the rear so you CAN rev it. You know, in your face is better than out of place.
Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I've never been impressed with the CB hex bar linkage. The hex bar is too long and flexes causing the carb throttles to open at different rates. It needs to be redesigned with a bearing support in the middle to stiffen up the hex bar and eliminate any flexing.

I've replaced my CB linkage with SCAT linkage and like it a lot better.

you might need to take the valve springs off the carb linkage., I have had an hpmx kit for 6+ years and has 60000-70000 miles on it no problems at all. I have an old cb kit with the steel hex bar,but I dont like because of the weight and the small bearings in the hex bar. you could run a jack shaft over to either side or both sides then back up to the hexbar then back down the the carbs, and that might get rid of your flex.now how did we get on to ford stuff???
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
I've never been impressed with the CB hex bar linkage. The hex bar is too long and flexes causing the carb throttles to open at different rates. It needs to be redesigned with a bearing support in the middle to stiffen up the hex bar and eliminate any flexing.

I've replaced my CB linkage with SCAT linkage and like it a lot better.

you might need to take the valve springs off the carb linkage., I have had an hpmx kit for 6+ years and has 60000-70000 miles on it no problems at all. I have an old cb kit with the steel hex bar,but I dont like because of the weight and the small bearings in the hex bar. you could run a jack shaft over to either side or both sides then back up to the hexbar then back down the the carbs, and that might get rid of your flex.now how did we get on to ford stuff???

After converting to the SCAT centerpull, I have no intrest in ever using the CB junk again.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
importtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I purchse this synch link setup at?? Want one for my 70 model bug!!
slowtwitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

importtek wrote:
Where can I purchse this synch link setup at?? Want one for my 70 model bug!!

You can PM me Smile

For those interested, here is a video of the system. This is the Dellorto version..

Link

and here is how you sync the two carbs...

Link

Back to the hexbar discussion.....
Der6VoltFahrers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use one of these. I drove the JKM linkage in my bug, I love it Very Happy

http://www.jkm-tuning.com/docs/pd-732738797.htm

http://www.beetle-factory-shop.de/product_info.php...-1-BF.html
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same design, at almost twice the price as the CSP linkage. What about it is better?
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Der6VoltFahrers wrote:
I would use one of these. I drove the JKM linkage in my bug, I love it Very Happy

http://www.jkm-tuning.com/docs/pd-732738797.htm

http://www.beetle-factory-shop.de/product_info.php...-1-BF.html

Those were the center pulls I was talking about that I saw but couldn't remember which country they came from. The one from the Beetle Factory one is real nice looking but the price is pricey @$250+tax but it looks like it would clear my Jaycee fuel pump block off and coil mount.
The cable pulley one from sync link is $200 but until I see and read a detailed description of it and read some reviews, it will have to wait.
The CSP one looks like it is the best for the buck while working just like the more pricey ones.
I really just want the damn thing to operate without the constant adjusting.
Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2cents-I've used the cb hex bar for 1600miles now.( I do know how to adjust it)- and from the beginng when the motor would warm up, the linkage would stick and not return to an idle. (about 2000rpm) I installed a spring on each air cleaner to the throttle arms, which worked but makes for alittle stiff throttle. Made the springs as soft as a pull as I could and still is alittle harder of a throttle than I'd like. This weekend I installed a CSP linkage. Installed a lite spring as mharney does from the alt to the center pull. The throttle pull seems almost like a stock unit now-What a difference. I openned the hood to check the linkage after the maiden trip and found my spring had fallen off of the center pull side, I drilled a small hole in the alt but slipped the spring around the cable barrel bolt Laughing I'll drill a small hole in the center stand, but even with the spring it's night and day. Might not even need the spring but since it doesn't feel any difference, it's my piece of mind. Very Happy
mezzorover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldbugr, I had the same issue with the CB hex bar. I read all the reviews I could and decided that CB made the "best" ICT kit, so I went for it.

However, ever since I installed it, I've had issues with whole linkage binding up and the throttle plates never quite closing to the idle stop. I pulled apart the whole pedal cluster and rebuilt it again, checked and relubed the cable tube, and lubed every heim joint and pivot, but the damn thing would hang up every time i drove it. I'd have to blip the throttle at every stoplight to get her to idle down.

I tried different linkage geometry, heavier carb springs, TWO springs (on the alternator and FPR.) Still binded up. Now, I noticed that the extension tube from the lower heim joint to the carb throttle arm is torquing the plates out of shape. It's a lovely-looking design, but sheesh, what a destructive pain in the arse.

I just ordered the Scat linkage, so we'll see. It's just money, right? Rolling Eyes

Oh, btw, I see that some of you have added bronze bushings to the Scat linkage. Do you think that's the best upgrade for the setup, or has anyone tried teflon washers? Do you use grease, too? I'd love it to be like the CSP with bearings, but I know what i paid for, lol.

Cheers,
J.

-Frank Lloyd Wright
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove the scat linkage on my car for the last four years and it has worked just fine for me.

As for the washers I used some nylon washers on the pivot along with some grease and it performs like a champ.

I will also be using it on my new engine as well.
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use slightly modified CSP bellcrank and it works like a charm!

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mezzorover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I installed my new Scat linkage and WOW...silky smooth, light pedal. It's like a new car! I can actually feather the throttle and I don't have to stomp the pedal at every stop sign to get her to idle down!

The pressure required to close the throttle returns is so light that it will fully close both arms with just ONE throttle spring attached. Of course, I still used two, but the additional return spring they supplied with the kit was definitely not needed.

If you don't mind the head-scratching involved to make things perfect (and can forgive the complete rubbish Scat instructions that are missing images and appear to have been copied on an old mimeograph) I highly recommend their linkage.

Sorry, CB. I like your products in general, but in my situation, the cheap Scat bellcrank simply blows your hex bar linkage away. Best $70 i've spent.

-Frank Lloyd Wright
Sanders23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Linkage ID Reply with quote

Being that there is so many linkage experts here I was hoping that somebody could ID this set up. I have searched and searched but cannot find any pictures that have been the same. Notice the linkage bars are bent at the ends, I assume to clear the heat ports on the shroud.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am have not figured out correct location to mount this yet, it seems to need modifcations to get centered on the case.

Anders
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you CBs gonna step their game up soon and come out with a new linkage.

Has anyone seen JayCee's new bell crank for the T3?
Sanders23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Linkage ID Reply with quote

Sanders23 wrote:
Being that there is so many linkage experts here I was hoping that somebody could ID this set up. I have searched and searched but cannot find any pictures that have been the same. Notice the linkage bars are bent at the ends, I assume to clear the heat ports on the shroud.

I am have not figured out correct location to mount this yet, it seems to need modifcations to get centered on the case.

Anders

Anybody?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a home brewed set. But it could work just as well as the next in line.

My view at this subject:

Yes the CB hex bar has the wear issue that is referred to earlier in this thread. I use to modify the hex bar almost exactly like also menthioned earlier, with a bushing and machining the pivot balls flat on a 2,5 mm area. Once that is done it is the best lower priced system on the market.
Dave, if you think the hex bar system is bad wrt similar throttle position, you should take a second look down the carb throats with the push pull systems.
Push pull systems cannot stay in sync cold and warm. Its a practical impossibillity. When the linkage wear a bit you dont hear it as much because of some "built in" slack then.
The Sync link is supposed to be "adjust and forget" - Yeah right. But that system actually solved the throttle position issue more or less to the "T"
CSP has also a hex bar system that has dealt with the wear issue that the CB has by having the hex bar hung up in bearing instead, which give a nice and smoth linkage. I do wish they had used better joints instead of the stainless "click on click off" joints that are also used on the push pull version.

T
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CSP crossbar pivots on big heims, not really a bearing. I think there will be some actual ball bearing adapters for the CB crossbar linkage in the classifieds maybe next week.... or so I heard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: