Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My "vanny" thread w/ PICS Small Car Suby Swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a chance to do some wrenching yesterday. Pulled rear drums off and found that the adjuster on left side somehow found its way out of adjustment to the point that the wheel cylinder started to leak fluid. So I threw in the rear gowesty springs. The space I was working in allowed only 1/2 the van inside and on pavement so I went ahead and replaced the thermostat and ecu temp sensor. Drank a solid 10 long trail ales and called it a night. The next day took my half lifted van for a ride and it had a violent vibration. Started doing doughnuts in a parking lot and narrowed it down to the right drive shaft. I guess when my 200lb buddy was standing on the drum while I was sneaking the spring into place might have overstretched the CV joints. Called Ken at VanAgain and he had one in stock and I drove the hr to go pick it up. It was all new and EMPI seamed to be of ok quality. I hate having to pack the joint but it all worked out. Also picked up the tranny mount that was looking shot and a wheel cylinder. Was all excited to get my van in top shape when my buddy with the shop called and said its gonna be 3 hrs till you can work on your van so I still gotta get the wheel cylinder, front springs, and engine mounts on her. Right before I left the shop I found a seeping hard break line passenger front so I guess it never ends!

Raked out kinda fun look:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheap tsat left new one on right. Seems to work a little better.

Go Westy Springs w/ Monroe Coilovers

Temp Sensor Gonna guess OG

Any idea what size the hard lines are on these vans?

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van started to push coolant and was getting bubbles in the overflow tank. Decided it was time for a swap. Started looking at craigslist and found a 97 wagon with 82,000 old lady miles that runs and drives but t-boned sitting still. $800 bux later and its mine. Going to go all smallcar. Right now making plans to strip it all out and do the head gaskets and try to source some torker cams. Anyone know any good sources for after-market suby cams?

91 Vanagon AUTO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with the cams. It will FEEL like it has less torque than the WBX, but it has more, right through the range.

It feels like it has less, because the power up higher climbs so suddenly. The differential between high and low makes the low seem worse.

My JDM 2.5 will go up hills in 4th at 30pmh, that the WBX would NEVER have done. Plus milage is better AND I have double the HP when required Smile

Allan.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the first of 4 shipments from small car in the mail today. So far very pleased with the quality of parts that I have reciveded. I decied to purchase all of their conversion parts inlcuding the whole stainless exhaust. Total cost from smallcar:

AT conversion kit with quiet power steering hose, oil pan, flex dipstick, coolant manifold, and harness service, full van stainless exhaust:

$3,664

Got the donor for $800 and will proably spend another $400 in tbelt fluids etc. So gonna be under 5 grand for whole swap heres some pics:

91 Vanagon AUTO
purplegodzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Be sure to document and take lots of picture. I am planning to do the same one day. Trying to scope craigslist daily but not having too much luck.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/purpleGORILLA/P1020720.jpg
1985 Westfalia
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
try to source some torker cams. Anyone know any good sources for after-market suby cams?

Yes, Delta Camshalf, also in Tacoma, can regring your cams. Call them and ask about their Torque Grind. It gives you more torque at lower rpms, and you will get more HP out of them. I am installing some in the spring.
http://deltacam.com/

it is about $80 per cam i think. Are you using a DOHC 2.5? if so make sure you swap out the head gaskets to the Cometic gasket.

you don't need to port or polish your heads, it will only give you a higher rpm range, which is not necessary in a vanagon!

Paul
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was thinking about the delta cams and still may. It's a 2.2 elderly lady car that was serviced and repaired only at subaru so I'm probably going to do the t-belt water pump etc and toss her in the van.

91 Vanagon AUTO
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the old lady is going to like being tossed into any van. Laughing

However, that sweet 2.2 is going to love it!

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage, you are where I was a year ago. Got a 99 Forrester with almost the same damage for $500, it was green too!. Used all Small Car components and have been very happy with the results. You really need to upgrade your brakes if you already haven't, you most likely will be traveling at higher velocities than you did before.

You have a great chance of making your $800 back selling the extra parts on Craigs list. Complete front clips are a hot item as that is what people smash up the most. Good Luck, have fun!

Joe

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pretty mean camshaft for my mustang from Delta in Tacoma but I haven't tried them in a Subaru yet.

I'd give it some thought before swapping out the cams, if you do it I would not chose to emphasize low end torque over a stronger midrange. You have an automatic, like mine, and the first thing you'll want to do is modify the shift governor to allow your full throttle shift to be around 6k or so. Somebody had a great how to online, search and you'll find it. Be careful and only remove a little bit of material at a time until you get what you want.

When I give my van the smallest amount of gas, it's revving to 2K before the van even moves, so why worry about the power it makes below that? On the highway, your cruising rpm is about 3k to 4k so if you do get a cam, I'd emphasize that RPM range.

Good luck on the conversion!

PS you better start putting some money away for a new exhaust in a year or two!
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango thanx for the heads up. Have given it some thought and will probably skip it for now since I have never driven a converted van before and I don't want another variable to deal with during the build. Also I bought the complete small car stainless exhaust. Does it have a bad reputation? I have been following theasamba forum and I am on the subaruvanagon list and never seen any negative reviews on it. It wasn't cheap so I hope I get what I payed for!

91 Vanagon AUTO
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
Also I bought the complete small car stainless exhaust. Does it have a bad reputation? I have been following theasamba forum and I am on the subaruvanagon list and never seen any negative reviews on it. It wasn't cheap so I hope I get what I payed for!

I wouldn't say it has a bad reputation, but there are people dissatissfied with the fit. Most have no problems fitting them, but there are plenty of people complaining it takes two people and prybars to get it over the studs. And a few have complained about the look after a year or two. Like it rusts too fast for good quality Stainless.

I wish someone would make an equal length tuned exhaust for the subaru vanagon conversions! Right now the only option for that is one off total custom exhaust work as far as I know. and I have yet to see one.

Paul
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some wheels:

I have been searching for a good deal on wheels and have a good feeling about these:

Borbet Type E 16x7.5", 5x112, et 35

They where last used on a passat. Looked everywhere for more specs and found none.

Like the look hope they are a good fit.

91 Vanagon AUTO
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go cliff go! it is christmas, isnt it? what fun!!
the hardest part is parting with the dough. after that, I sort of forget about it. It hurts only once, and the conversion just keeps on giving!
congrats on your embarcation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to rag on anybody and smallcar makes some great parts but their Stainless exhaust is a joke. I've seen many rust and crack withing a year or two. Unfortunately there aren't any other simple bolt on exhausts out there available for the general public. I'm about to start working on building my own and if it turns out nice I'm planning on building more and selling them. Probably in a mild steel at first then if everything works out I'll do them in a heavier stainless.

I think it's smart to hold off on the cams for now, better just get the thing put together. I just see so many people going on and on about the low end torque, but really with the automatic anything below 2k is pointless and' I'd hate to see someone wast money on a part that isn't going to help them.

Good luck on the swap, looks like you have just about all the parts you need.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that i'm knee deep in a subaru conversion I think I figured out where my temp spike problems came from! Was browsing benplace.com to steal some conversion ideas (ben I'm doanating tonight, thanx for the bandwith!) and found these pics:

He recommended keeping this junction. Well last winter one of those tees snapped and left me stranded so I deleted that junction. Now I have temp swings when using the heater with ambient temps below 40 deg. May have been my problem all along. At least it got me moving on the subaru!

91 Vanagon AUTO
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone beat me to the wheels. I guess I'll run stock steels with 27x85r14. May go with Maxxis Bighorns, or Gereral Grabbers. The grabbers are priced right so will probably buy 5. Got more swap goodies in the mail this am:

Full stainless exhaust with cat and 2 O2 senosor ports:

EJ22 oil breather plate and seal kit from ebay vender even comes with new hardware:

High output Porsche starter SR68X thanks to thesamba.com recommendation:

Flex plate adapter and hardware:

So far my dealings with smallcar have been positive. Looks like I have everything, it would help if they included a packing list that itemized everything that should be in the box. That is their only flaw so far and where bostig definitely has them beat. I just didn't have a bostig budget plus I like where the suby power is. Next I have to get wrenching!

91 Vanagon AUTO
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent out the harness and coolant manifold to smallcar. Got a call Friday, they got it and I forgot the coolant crossover pipe for modification as well. Took lots of pics of all my parts before hand.

Sent the harness out with all cruise control parts with it hoping that they could salvage the necessary parts of the harness. Talked to Brian and he said its more trouble than its worth and would be easy to graft in after. I asked him to return parts with pigtails so I could get the job done. Right now my main concern is getting it done and done right. Crossing my fingers and can't wait to get my modified parts back!

I guess I can start getting my 2.2 prepped for re-entry and start pulling the WBX out!

91 Vanagon AUTO
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit of a job to use the Subaru cruise control but worth it to add it back in once you get the engine installed. After picking all the CC wires out of my 99 Forrester harness, I made a separate CC harness basically lengthening the 4 wires to the actuator along with a VSS signal wire to span the distance from the front to the back of the van. I'm using the stock cruise switch from the Subi steering wheel screwed to the bottom of the dash but plan on using an Audi or South African turn signal stalk soon. So for no money and little time you can use the cruise control that belongs with the engine!

Joe

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the oil pan, mount, and header slipped right on

91 Vanagon AUTO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: