Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Odometer Speedo for 77 Bay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Trip Odometer Speedo for 77 Bay Reply with quote

Hey guys, I had posted a WTB ad here on TS looking for a trip odometer speedo for my 77 bus, would like to have the odometer to better gauge my mileage as my gas gauge has a mind of its own even after replacing the flat/sending unit last year. I got a hit today, and not only does the sellter have a trip odometer speedo, but has a nearly new cluster for a late bay. He wants a fair price for everything, which sounds good to me. The question I have is, the speedo gauge he has which he says came out of a 77 bay, the part number on the back is 311 XXX XXXX Which I think means its freom a Type 3. I dont think they are interchangeable, am I right? Additionally, Since his speedo goes to 110, (Someone had a sense of humor) and my bus's only goes to 90 would that mean it would inaccurately measure speed?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure that isn't in Kilometers instead of miles?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Odometer Speedo for 77 Bay Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
better gauge my mileage as my gas gauge has a mind of its own even after replacing the flat/sending unit last year.

Sounds complicated, ever considered something cheap and simple?:

+

+

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Odometer Speedo for 77 Bay Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:
better gauge my mileage as my gas gauge has a mind of its own even after replacing the flat/sending unit last year.

Sounds complicated, ever considered something cheap and simple?:

+

+

Exactly what I use, except for the brain part.

Anyway, the font those numbers are in doesn't look like the standard numbers; if that makes sense.

These numbers:

as opposed to these numbers:

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Type 3 speedo and isn't gonna work in your Bus cluster. My '71 and '73 Squarebacks both have the same gauge.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the paper and pen going now, but the convenience of a trip odometer would be nice in more than one circumstance. While, no, Im not sure its not in KMH, I wasnt going to push the seller before I had a better idea what I was looking at.

Thanks VDubTech, I thought it was a Type 3 gauge.
Anyone here know of a speedo/odometer or have one that they may want to sell?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nos trip meters in mph are non existent.If you look in australia or europe they come up for sale all the time in KPH. Used speedometers are used and will cost you at least a hundred to get right. Retrofit one from a GTI . Or better yet carry a pencil and paper.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a bit of holy grail in late T2 accessories. As rare as rocking horse sh*t.

I'v been half heartedly looking for one for over 2 years. As Hoody says, the KMH units come up for sale fairly frequently, although they are expensive at €300 plus in Europe, and when they do come up, half the time the pod is missing so you would have to get the glass drilled for the trip reset button (and I'd rather locate a unit with the original VW/VDO drilled glass - anyone know if the OG units have some sort of air seal where the reset switch goes through the glass, I mean like the VDO clocks, to stop moisture getting under the glass Question

Australia switched to the metric system in 1974, plus trip speedos (in KMH) seem to be more common on their buses 1977 onwards.

As the others have pointed out already, the unit above you have been offered is from a Type 3, you will be wasting your money.

The part number for the MPH trip unit for 1976 to 1979 buses is 211 957 057 E (they are combination units, as in it has a smaller KMH scale alongside the MPH speedometer scale)

Look here: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Tachograph.html#trip

If you manage to unearth a whole stash of them, make sure you message me first Dancing
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 500 miles away from my house right now, but I have one in KMH (NOT FOR SALE) That I have planned on putting in my 78 westy for years (and it will be put in after the remodel in the spring). Mine does not have any type of air seal to prevent moisture from getting in, but it is 30 years old so...

If you want any pics or info off of it I will be happy to get them when I get back.
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
when they do come up, half the time the pod is missing so you would have to get the glass drilled for the trip reset button (and I'd rather locate a unit with the original VW/VDO drilled glass - anyone know if the OG units have some sort of air seal where the reset switch goes through the glass, I mean like the VDO clocks, to stop moisture getting under the glass Question/

The glass is very easy to drill. I broke the glass on mine, while separating the turn signal indicators. Used a diamond bit in a drill press and putty to make a water pool and drilled away.

As previously stated: There isn't a seal around the hole.

Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opossum wrote:
chimneyfish wrote:
when they do come up, half the time the pod is missing so you would have to get the glass drilled for the trip reset button (and I'd rather locate a unit with the original VW/VDO drilled glass - anyone know if the OG units have some sort of air seal where the reset switch goes through the glass, I mean like the VDO clocks, to stop moisture getting under the glass Question/

The glass is very easy to drill. I broke the glass on mine, while separating the turn signal indicators. Used a diamond bit in a drill press and putty to make a water pool and drilled away.

As previously stated: There isn't a seal around the hole.

Is that an A/C unit you have there? It seems you have every knob known to a bus!

Your replacement glass looks great! I may have to get new glass just to make mine look that good! I am pretty sure that there is nothing on the glass to imply that it is VDO?
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:

Is that an A/C unit you have there? It seems you have every knob known to a bus!

Your replacement glass looks great! I may have to get new glass just to make mine look that good! I am pretty sure that there is nothing on the glass to imply that it is VDO?

Thanks. Yes, it's a DPD. Almost every knob, no lighter.

Since this photo was taken, I was able to get the real fog light knob/indicator.

I started with the round glass off another speedometer. The diamond glass cutting bit was from either Home Depot or Lowes. I am sure they both stock them. Make sure you put a piece of wood behind the glass when you drill. Doing this will prevent chip out or breakage.
No, the glass is plain. VDO did not print or etch on the glass.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for clarifying that there is no seal for the hole in the glass.

Opossum - I like your cab set up (and that you are the original owner, that is cool). Just a couple of questions:

1) how did you manage to locate the late MPH trip speedo, any tips on going about finding one?

2) what size diamond drill bit did you use for the hole in the glass?
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
Thanks to everyone for clarifying that there is no seal for the hole in the glass.

Opossum - I like your cab set up (and that you are the original owner, that is cool). Just a couple of questions:

1) how did you manage to locate the late MPH trip speedo, any tips on going about finding one?

2) what size diamond drill bit did you use for the hole in the glass?

1) In the old days you could order any accessory from a dealer. I also bought a clock (sold it). The dealer couldn't always get the accessory part to match your year bus. The clock I had was for an earlier bus (silver ring) and the speedometer is for a later bus. It's okay because the tachometer is black and it was easy to paint the back piece where the turn signals, gas gauge,etc. are. Not year correct, but It all matches.
To find a trip speedo: keep checking the classifieds here and check Ebay. I do see the MPH ones every so often for around $ 250.00.

2) 3/16", I thought it was diamond, I am wrong they are carbide tipped. I bought this set: http://www.lowes.com/pd_280527-68081-82800_0__?pro...ss%2Bdrill
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. (I'm not sure about Samba rules, I know you should not post live auctions up except in the whine thread, but this is a buy it now in the UK, not an auction, so I'll risk it and post).

GB £375 = US $604.87 for a 1973 used MPH trip speedo of that earlier design that you refer to - ouch!

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for years for a late Bay MPH trip speedo and finally figured they did not exist until I saw recent pics of Opossum's and the one on Ratwell's site. I have a light grey one from a 73 (NFS), but it differs in that it only has the MPH and no small KPH markings like the later one. I will try to post up a pic of it later. I ended up buying a KPH trip speedo for my bus and adding in the MPH numbers and had the odometer converted to miles (set at actual) at NH Speedometer.

Yeah its close, but not the real thing. Embarassed

Just a regular guy
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually pretty smart. I wouldnt be opposed to doing that, or even having a new speedo face generated, Ive seen sites that create custom gauge faces.

Given the obvious fail of my efforts lol does anyone have any leads on a KMH speedo/odometer stateside before I start looking on the other side of the drink?
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more, Is the gearing for speed in the bus and cable or in the speedo unit? If I were to put this type 3 speedo in the bus (assuming it fits the opening) would it read the speed wrong?
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

response 1: I bought my kmh unit from europe

response 2: speedo cables are just cables, they have no gears. If you change anything that affects what they were specificaly made to calculate then yes they will be off. i.e. if you change tire sizes your speedo will read wrong. So most likely the type 3 would be off, but they are also a totally different gauge...
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I wouldnt be opposed to doing that, or even having a new speedo face generated, Ive seen sites that create custom gauge faces.

I talked to NH Speedometer about reprinting the face and even sent them down a standard MPH speedometer to use as a copy for printing a new face. They declined to do it that way, I suspect they know it won't look as original as the OEM finish. The color and sheen of the black as well as the tone of white is hard to get perfect.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: