Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tranny ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: tranny ? Reply with quote

i have a 66 with a 66 tranny in it. i also have a rebuilt 70 motor with 70 tranny. my questions is will the 70 tranny fit in the 66 or do i have leave that and convert all the stuff to fit the 70 motor which by the way is a 12 volt? it looks like it wont go in there. the axles look different. im noy sure any help?
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: tranny ? Reply with quote

A '66 had a 'swingaxle' tranny (one pivot per axle) and a '70 was IRS(two pivots per axle). Completely different transmissions, and fairly complicated to convert Swingaxle to IRS. If your tranny in the '66 is good, it is simple to get the 12V 1970 motor to fit. Has your 66 been converted to 12V electronics yet? Search shoptalkforums.com for 6 to 12 volt engine conversion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: