Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Firebuggy's buggy.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

The issue is that the valves keep going out of adjustment and you won't be able to set the clearance correctly because the end of the valve will be all mis-shapen. It can also lead to cracks and the keepers might come off. Mr Valve meet Mr. Piston.

Were you trying to use a stock pushrod to set geometry or did you have an adjustable one? There are longer rocker studs available also

brad
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Just curious here - what is the advantage of lightening the flywheel and putting on a heavy pulley?

Flywheel was not lightened. Only balanced. That's what the drill marks are. Flywheel is still a heavy mother. haha Laughing

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The issue is that the valves keep going out of adjustment and you won't be able to set the clearance correctly because the end of the valve will be all mis-shapen. It can also lead to cracks and the keepers might come off. Mr Valve meet Mr. Piston.

Were you trying to use a stock pushrod to set geometry or did you have an adjustable one? There are longer rocker studs available also

brad

I had an adjustable pushrod tool. After a stack of 8 shims under each post of the rocker assembly I just thought it was getting ridiculous and I was getting frustrated why I couldn't get the geometry correct. I have read that some lash caps are thicker than others, so I wonder if that is what's going on. I'll order some elephant feet adjusters and go with those if that means not putting on lash caps.

And thanks for the help too! Smile

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

sure looks like a lightened one in the picture. Non the less what is the heavy pulley for?
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
sure looks like a lightened one in the picture. Non the less what is the heavy pulley for?

It supposed to help with harmonics, not idling down as fast, better mileage, etc... but like anything you'll get 101 different opinions here. Do a quick search on "equalizer pulley" or "Berg equalizer pulley". It's more for higher RPM engines and not your basic 1600-1900 engines. Some are for it, some are against it, some swear by it, some are unconvinced. I decided to try it and why not. Wink It's only $$$ and you only live once! Give 'er eh! Laughing

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Firebuggy,i myself would also try a heavy pully,lightend flywheel and straight cut gears if I was building a 2110!..u should have a lot of fun with that engine either way.i think u have got me convinced on choosing the 2110 with all the bells and whistles for my winter engine build I been planning..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

what compression ratio are u running?.just curious.thanx..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Interesting! For decades we have been trying to reduce rotating mass in our engines. Now we are increasing it - well interesting swing on the pendulum. I suspect it would be difficult to document gains or losses either way as they will be small.

I could see it smoothing out the idle a bit on a radical cam choice though.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Firebuggy

Check your PMs.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
what compression ratio are u running?.just curious.thanx..

My compression ratio is about 9.1.

Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
Firebuggy,i myself would also try a heavy pully,lightend flywheel and straight cut gears if I was building a 2110!..u should have a lot of fun with that engine either way.i think u have got me convinced on choosing the 2110 with all the bells and whistles for my winter engine build I been planning..

I didn't go the straight gear route. I used helical. That was one thing I flip-flopped back and forth with for a while. Confused Again 101 different opinions. Rolling Eyes I chose the quieter route after listening to many youtube videos of straight cuts. I don't like that whiny noise. Wink

Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Firebuggy

Check your PMs.

Paul

Got your info. Thanks. I'll send mine.
I'll give you a shout when I am going to be in that area.
My service territory is 613 so I am on the road a lot.
Contact me if you are up this way.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

thanks for the info.i am really taking the 2110 into serious consideration for my build this winter.
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

So typical 4 day weekend working on the buggy (I used my vacation days to take Fridays and Mondays off all summer). Ran into issues again as usual...

Issue #1: Forgot to order shims for the custom alternator pulley. Embarassed

Issue #2: Could not get the engine to go into transmission. I tried multiple angles, checked the clutch was centred at least 5 times, kept getting angry trying to get it in by myself. Finally got my helper (daughter) to hold the engine partially in so I could see what was going on. A piece of tin after the doghouse cooler that I installed (wasn't one originally) was hitting the crossmember that holds up the tranny. Removed the tin and the engine slid in with almost one finger. Doh! Embarassed

Issue #3: Clearance under the buggy rear on the passenger side was an issue. Carburetor filter was contacting a bracket that was there to keep the rear stable. The way the bracket was installed, there was no way to remove it easily so Mr. Hacksaw took care of it! Shocked

Issue #4: Completed all the wiring, put the wires in harnesses, tidied it all up to look neat with tie wraps and hose clamps only to realize (while I was admiring my awesome wiring job) that I forgot the wires to the gas pump. Agghh Brick wall

Issue #5: Started installing the Sink-link system I purchased. Was going great until I got to the gas pedal. The Sink-link is made for post '66 pedals. I have a 64 with the funny looking linkage. Fortunately after trying to figure out a way to gerry rig it for about 3 hours, I realized the old cable I pulled out with the hook was only crimped on one end. I cut it off the old cable, shoved the sink-link cable into it and crimped it down. I will just reuse the old hook.

So hopefully by this weekend I will get it started and broke in (heard that before). Rolling Eyes
All I have left to do is finish the sink-link install, wire the gas pump, set the timing with the test light, roll the engine over to get oil primed, install the push rods then fire the engine for break-in.
I'm sure the Gremlins are already out in the garage nixing that plan though. LOL Laughing

Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
thanks for the info.i am really taking the 2110 into serious consideration for my build this winter.

The only reasons I went with a 2110 for my build was two things...
1) The engine is going into a 64 buggy with drum brakes all the way around. I think I would end up killing myself if I went with a bigger engine. Shocked

2) I like the exhaust I have (bugpack baja header) because of the sound and the way it fits inside the engine cage. It is only 1.5" so 2110 is about the max for that size of exhaust. Not really any point building a bigger engine if you don't make the exhaust larger from what I understand. It looks like hell, but I'll replace it next year with a ceramic. I already spent way more than I planned.

Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

Got the engine installed and started the break-in yesterday. Fired right away! No backfiring so I guess I didn't need the earplugs! haha Very Happy What a difference from the old engine. Instant start! Shocked Only got 3 minutes into it and the gremlins reared their ugly heads. Evil or Very Mad Oil leaking out. Well more like oil being pushed out through the dipstick. Here's a vid. At 2:45 you can see small drips to the right of the oil pump. Just after 3:20 it really starts coming out. Shocked

Link

Next vid, after a little fiddling around with things I tried again. No Bueno! Oil pushed out the dipstick tube again. Crankcase is definitely pressurized.

Link

Finally on the 3rd attempt...success. Loosened oil filler cap, removed grub screw in oil filler and loosed the grub screw in the billet fuel cover coil holder. This was enough to vent it for now. I have a filter on order to install at the fuel pump cover location and will remove the grub completely and replace with a barbed fitting for the filter. I also adjusted the idles so it would run on its own without having to stand there holding the throttle. I kept adjusting it to vary the RPM slightly. The fumes were pretty overwhelming! haha Sick

Link

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

just a question.i never broke one of these in.with that syncro system u have for your carbs.when u were raising the idle on the carb above 3 and 4 cylinder,was the carb above 1 and 2 cylinder also idling up?.and does it matter on break in?.I only ask because I did Not see the synchro wheel turning above 1 and 2 when u were raising the idle on 3 and 4 carburetor.i did see them both turning when u hit the gas pedal by hand to start it...Happy u got it done!.congrats..
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
just a question.i never broke one of these in.with that syncro system u have for your carbs.when u were raising the idle on the carb above 3 and 4 cylinder,was the carb above 1 and 2 cylinder also idling up?.and does it matter on break in?.I only ask because I did Not see the synchro wheel turning above 1 and 2 when u were raising the idle on 3 and 4 carburetor.i did see them both turning when u hit the gas pedal by hand to start it...Happy u got it done!.congrats..

Hi, Yes both carbs were idling up. The reason you don't notice is I am turning the screw maybe a 1/4 turn at most. I was just changing the RPM's from 1800 to 2200 and back. You would never notice the movement on the wheel from the camera distance. That's why you did notice the movement when I blipped it. Smile

The wheel on the 3/4 side has a cable from the pedal coming to it and another cable going across to the 1/2 side. As the pedal makes the 3/4 wheel rotate, the 2nd cable rotates the 1/2 side.

I still have to time the engine and sync the carbs. Once that's done then I do the final adjustment on the sync-link cables.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

good to know.i have the straight solid bar linkage(was a pain in the ass to set up).ill have to keep an eye out for reviews on that system u have compared to mine.(I am anticipating problems with mine staying synced).I also decided on doing the 2110 this winter.
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Firebuggy's buggy. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
good to know.i have the straight solid bar linkage(was a pain in the ass to set up).ill have to keep an eye out for reviews on that system u have compared to mine.(I am anticipating problems with mine staying synced).I also decided on doing the 2110 this winter.

I like it. Smooth as butter. Easy to set up except if you have early style pedals then a little modifying is required. I have read nothing but horror stories about the solid bar linkage and how difficult they can be. The set that came with my webers is still in the package. Razz

Can't wait to see your build. Take lots of pics! Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: