Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal relay 65 Bug 12+ Volt system
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Turn signal relay 65 Bug 12+ Volt system Reply with quote

I just fixed all the wires on my 65 bug and i'm baffled on the EL-13 flasher. I have 3 pins labeled

X=
P=
L=

I figured out 12+ volt goes to (X) Turn signal switch input is (L)
but what does the (P) connect to? Also how can i get my turn signal indicator bulb on the dash to light up when I use the turn signals.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PXL relays are not for VWs. You need to buy a EF-35 instead. That one has the correct 49,49a and 31 terminals.

If you have to use it, connect X to +12V and your L to the turn signal switch and the dash light. Leave the P unhooked.

This is how'd you hook it up if you used a proper grounded relay - the one that VW started using in 1971-2 and used with only a cosmetic change (got smaller) up to the late 90s.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, But when I hook up the dash light it stays lite and only blinks when you use the turn signals. But stays on constant if the turn signals are not in use
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a new 2 prong style generic flasher on my '65 and it worked even ungrounded.

Then I hooked the lead from the indicator in the gage to the flasher.

All worked fine. Maybe I got lucky?

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm......yeah my indicator light just stays on.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that should work... The dash light should have no pathway to ground until you move the turn signal lever away from center. Then it grounds through the turn signal bulbs (very low current there) and lights up until the flasher relay warms up and connects the lights to +12V.

X is actually a "PLUS" and L stands for Load, by the way. And there is no load until the turn switch is engaged. (P is for Pilot but that's not the kind of "backwards" wiring that the VW dash light uses)

It's that warm up phase that make me so I don't like those. With a grounded relay they light up right away outside the car as soon as you go to make a turn. With ungrounded relays the work the other way around - and they have to warrrrmmmm upppppppp before they start to flash. And during that time the only light that's lit is the one in the dashboard, not outside. I've seen some that seem to take quite a while for this to happen. So forget signalling a quick lane change. Granted, some are better than others That's what annoyed me - living in a college town with lots of traffic most of the year, and I was taught to always use my signals. Anyway, I got a REAL VW relay and have never looked back. It's not like they are uncommon, most any VW in a junkyard made from 72-98 has one like that. Later ones are shorter but work the same.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so that starts to make some sense because I have the warm up thing going on. Maybe 3 seconds or so?

As I was replying before, I started thinking maybe the flasher has continuity through itself until it opens? But if that is the case, then why is my indicator not always on? I have not tested mine, but what does it actually do? If there is a path through it at rest, then I would expect my indicator on the speedo to stay on until it breaks, but that does not happen.

Figured you may know Andy.

I did ground the body, and nothing improved the warm up issue.

Are you saying that one of the three prongs (on the correct style) is actually a ground for within the flasher, and that style has no warm up period?

If so, I am going to get one and wire it to work instantly. The one I had on the car (before tearing it apart) is a square, plastic type that WW sells. I really want a round, aluminum style to fit the holder and look more vintage. That's why I took a chance on a good old fashioned round, 2 prong unit.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerg wrote:
Are you saying that one of the three prongs (on the correct style) is actually a ground for within the flasher, and that style has no warm up period?.

Terminal 31 is a ground (I often run it to one of the speedometer mounting screws) And while yes, there is a slight warm up period, during that period the lights are lit up outside, and the dash arrow is off. I've had this discussion many a time over the years both here and probably on the RMMW site that I frequented before... And during one of those times a couple years ago I went and threw an XL type flasher in my Baja to see just how long of a delay I'd get. It wasn't nearly as long of a delay as I remembered many years before, lol, but it was still a delay - but it was a pretty fast flash-rate too once it got going.

You know, the very first one I got to replace that PXL type, was a Type 2 unit from the late 60s. One that bolted to the body in the original clip hole that my 62 had when I got it. And it had those terminals 49, 49a and 31. And yes, the lights lit up outside first for a second or so then start to flash.

However after a few years of using that NOS unit they started to get a bit erratic. So I got a diferent one in a pile of stuff stripped from a later VW - a blue colored "electronic" flasher that worked very well. But was a bit quiet to hear it clicking away until I went and taped it to the side of my still-in-place type 2 12V flasher so it would resonate though that metal can - that was well over 10 years ago and I still have set up that way! :

Keep in mind that even though there is no "ground" shown on the factory wiring diagrams in the early 60s, those very much WERE grounded relays! That little omission from wiring diagrams led to enough troubleshooting issues that VW put this note in the factory service manual!

gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I guess I'll just use the WW unit I have on the shelf since I will have a dash cover on anyway under the hood.

I was hoping for an old style aluminum can type flasher - I'll keep googling I guess Wink

Found this interesting info somehwere:

What do #'s like 86a mean?
Terminal # = function
15 = Switched positive output from battery
30 = Postive output direct from battery (+)**
31 = Direct to battery negative ( - ), ground
31b = Return to battery negative via switch or relay
49 = Positive input for turn signal flasher
49a = Turn signal flasher trigger power to switch (54); marking used after /5

54 = Turn signal switch contact from flasher (49a); marking used on /5
85 = Relay trigger wire, generally for negative/ground winding on electromagnet**
86 = Relay trigger wire, generally for positive winding on electromagnet**
86a = Path to ground via neutral switch with diode (prevents "NEU" from lighting via clutch switch [contact 86] )**
87 = Normally open relay output, generally**
87a = Normally closed relay output
87b = Second normally open relay output on a seperate throw
D+ = Voltage Regulator/Dynamo (Alternator) positive
C or KBL = power to turn signal indicator light in gauge cluster

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerg wrote:
I was hoping for an old style aluminum can type flasher - I'll keep googling I guess Wink

Well, a few years ago I got a "mini" metal can type with the mounting threaded stud on top... its part number 211953183A

For a larger one like I had pictured, you might check out this link Gerg: Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=980463

gerg wrote:
What do #'s like 86a mean?
86a = Path to ground via neutral switch with diode (prevents "NEU" from lighting via clutch switch [contact 86] )**

Oh yeah, forgot to answer - but I don't have an answer, must be for some non-VW application there! 8x-letter series weren't seen on VWs til fuel injection models...

-Andy
CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay great information. I'm going to take a run to the local junk yard and see if I can come up with a correct style TS flasher. Thanks!!! Laughing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one came out of the fuse/relay panel from a mid 90s Jetta I stripped for parts last winter... it's shorter with a different part number, but still has the same 49, 49a and 31 terminals and works the same as the older ones did.

compare this to the specs written on some older aircooled relays:

CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh way cool, I'll have a lot better chance finding a mid-90's VW Jetta at the junk yard than I would a BUG. thats for sure.
CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck yet
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, the XL type relay should have worked, just not the greatest.

Autozone and other chain stores sell Euro-spec relays too - look for a "35" series flasher - EP-35, EF-35 or FL35 - also FC588T.

CaliforniaDad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, I got it working using this relay from a 93 Jetta.
Thank you for all the help.

gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to just use the square flasher I got from WW since i will have a dash cover on under the hood.

Nice work, glad it is working for ya! Cool

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerg wrote:
I decided to just use the square flasher I got from WW since i will have a dash cover on under the hood.

Okay. I also remembered later on that there was somone on eBay selling Bosch flahsers in the big 12V Type 2 can for like 10 bucks each (but like that much again for shipping) and had a few of them left.

Quote:
Nice work, glad it is working for ya!

ditto!

Andy
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerg how is your WW flasher working out for you. I've installed one too but the but the thing I don't like is it Flashes at about 90 MPH, I wish it was a little slower. Also I'd love to stop buy and check out your Beetle one of these days. I'm in N. LV. Whoops I just remembered your off to Colorado to pick up a Convertable. Be Safe
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car is getting headliner now so I have not tried it.

Will let you know.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: