Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why won't my air cleaners fit under my deck?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Why won't my air cleaners fit under my deck? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although I've cut my deck for velocity stacks with filters from Bill's B Racing, the ideal of getting quieting down the cabin by covering the intakes with the engine deck appeals to me. I went with my current setup because the cast air cleaners I sourced from CB Performance wouldn't fit under the deck.

Last night I decided to try the filters I got from Redline. Even with the thinner stamped housings the results is the same. I even tried adding some spacers to the rear mount to move the motor down.

When I swapped in the 1915 I also added:

- Urethane mid mounts (the ones on the bellhousing.
- Kafer bar (this clearance issue existed before this was installed)
- Stock front tranny mount and rear engine mount.

Even with the Solexes and the worn motors mounts and whatnot on the original motor the air cleaners barely cleared. I haven't seen any evidence that my frame horns are tweaked. There was some minor accident damage (I replaced the rear valance) but everything lined up nicely. I don't see anything to indicate the body is tweaked. What am I missing?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daithi2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same issue with my 1776, im pulling it to freshin it up and tired of squised aircleaners, heck i hafta leave the lock tabs in the locked position when i close the lid to prevent it from hitting the throttle bar.. i think im going to build a wider elevated lid for clearance before it goes back in.
'73 Dart 493" 91mm
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those RamFlo air cleaners from OZ look like they would clear better to me. blankmange will know for sure!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What carbs are those? Not all carbs are short enough to fit underneath a t3 decklid. Plus, are you using the CB performance low-rise T3-specific intake manifolds?

For reference, I'm using the low-rise CB performance intake manifolds, Dellorto DRLA 36 carbs, and the CB perf shortest air cleaners and I only have about 3/8" between the top of the air cleaner nut and the decklid. As far as I know, the only two-barrel carb that is slightly shorter than this is the Dellorto DCNF. Those carbs are supposedly tough to find nowadays though.
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
What carbs are those? Not all carbs are short enough to fit underneath a t3 decklid. Plus, are you using the CB performance low-rise T3-specific intake manifolds?

For reference, I'm using the low-rise CB performance intake manifolds, Dellorto DRLA 36 carbs, and the CB perf shortest air cleaners and I only have about 3/8" between the top of the air cleaner nut and the decklid. As far as I know, the only two-barrel carb that is slightly shorter than this is the Dellorto DCNF. Those carbs are supposedly tough to find nowadays though.

Weber IDF44's, pretty much identical to your DRLA's, on CB Performance Type 3 manifolds. I had the entire kit but switched to the Redline linkage kit thinking the stamped pieces would be thinner than the cast CB pieces. Is that 3/8" between the engine cover and the wing nut? What is your clearance between the top of your air cleaner and the lip on the trunk floor where the seal lives?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem years ago. you have to get the whole kit from CB for it to fit right. Can't just use the manifolds. I sent the manifolds back and got the kit with carbs, fit perfect. Then went with a smaller motor and got the CB ICT kit, also a perfect fit. You will also need their linkage kit.
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djporsche wrote:
I had this problem years ago. you have to get the whole kit from CB for it to fit right. Can't just use the manifolds. I sent the manifolds back and got the kit with carbs, fit perfect. Then went with a smaller motor and got the CB ICT kit, also a perfect fit. You will also need their linkage kit.

If you read what I wrote, I had the entire CB kit, minus the carbs. I can't believe the carbs are any different than the IDF's I have now. The only thing I can think of at this point would be a thinner air filter, but wouldn't want to go much thinner.

Jim
Houstonr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimal, there is a whole thread around here somewhere abou the rear end sagging where the body meets the torsion carrier/ transmission frame horn. I have the same issue with my fastback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, yeah weber IDF44's should be the same height as dellortos DRLA's (can someone confirm this)?

Regarding the gap between the top of the air-cleaner and the deck, I didn't have enough space to even use the wingnut, heh. The "wing" part would dig up into the foam on the bottom of the deck lid and prevent the decklid locks from catching. I went to a standard nylon nut instead of wingnuts. If you want pics, check out the end of this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359234&start=340

What concerns me about your picture is that the right air-cleaner looks to be sitting up higher than your left air-cleaner. Have you ensured that your engine mounts are holding your engine flat? Take a level to it and verify.
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
What concerns me about your picture is that the right air-cleaner looks to be sitting up higher than your left air-cleaner. Have you ensured that your engine mounts are holding your engine flat? Take a level to it and verify.

Its level. The right air cleaner sort of clears the opening where I cut out the area where the seal goes. The left bank is a little forward and puts the air cleaner further under the trunk floor.

Jim

P.S, Your motor looks great BTW.
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I have a set of K&N air filters that are very low profile. They attach with a clamp at the base so there is no wingnut on top. I used these for a year but plan to switch back to the stock oil bath setup (stock motor). If you're interested I can check some measurements for you to see if they would fit for your application.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houstonr wrote:
Jimal, there is a whole thread around here somewhere abou the rear end sagging where the body meets the torsion carrier/ transmission frame horn. I have the same issue with my fastback

I'm looking for that thread but not having any luck. I have the Kafer bar and could pre-load it, but I've been told that is not a good idea from a suspension point of view.

Jim
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim altemus wrote:
Houstonr wrote:

I'm looking for that thread but not having any luck. I have the Kafer bar and could pre-load it, but I've been told that is not a good idea from a suspension point of view.

Jim

That won't help with what he's describing. It's not an issue of the engine sitting too high on the frame. It's an issue of the body sitting too low on the subframe.

Consider that the type3 rear subframe is bolted to the body at 5 locations with rubber mounts.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
jim altemus wrote:
Houstonr wrote:

Jim

That won't help with what he's describing. It's not an issue of the engine sitting too high on the frame. It's an issue of the body sitting too low on the subframe.

Consider that the type3 rear subframe is bolted to the body at 5 locations with rubber mounts.

If this is the case, then the skew in the body alignment should be visible, no?
damo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Those RamFlo air cleaners from OZ look like they would clear better to me. blankmange will know for sure!

do not use ram flo aircleaners you lose horse power due to air restiction .
they are one of the worst aircleaners available .they seem to be more popular overseas than in aus because most people know how bad they are
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CB kit (44IDF's) and the fit/clearance is VERY tight, but they work.

One option is to replace the filter w/ these http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weberpartsair.asp RF457's. But then you'll lose the mounting for the linkage, so that creates another hurdle to overcome.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: