Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show me your 2 tone smoothies!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

I don’t think the factory was going for meticulous. We are way more picky then they ever were. I have two cars with OG paint in the fender wells. Both have runs in the paint.

The set of rims I am painting, takes about 1.5 hours per rim to mask each section. I have done them twice because I didn’t like the first coat. I ended up sanding smooth with 400 and doing it all again. Time consuming for sure, but the results speak for themselves. It would be a lot faster cycle if I was using paint with hardener.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

just posting this as it's a good reference shot for the wheel colours of an indiana red 1960 beetle that's original (not my car)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
I don’t think the factory was going for meticulous.

Totally true. Take a look at the factory overspray/offset in the paint on this original 1965 wheel of mine...note upper left quadrant, between 9 and 10...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
lardawge wrote:

Totally true. Take a look at the factory overspray/offset in the paint on this original 1965 wheel of mine...note upper left quadrant, between 9 and 10...

that was an automatic process, see following vid, starting minute 17:18:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblqNdlsjOI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

Neat video, thank you.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Busstom wrote:
lardawge wrote:

that was an automatic process, see following vid, starting minute 17:18:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblqNdlsjOI

Interesting, I’ve always been curious how that was done.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

After looking at this thread many many times, I have decided to paint my wheels L87 Pearl White on the inside, and L41 black on the outside. Right now they are all plastidipped white which was supposed to be temporary. Well, I guess now it will be.

I may also attempt to paint the logos on the hub caps, probably black.

This is not stock for my '63 Ruby Red Beetle in either layout or colors, but it's what speaks to me.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
After looking at this thread many many times, I have decided to paint my wheels L87 Pearl White on the inside, and L41 black on the outside. Right now they are all plastidipped white which was supposed to be temporary. Well, I guess now it will be.

This is not stock for my '63 Ruby Red Beetle in either layout or colors, but it's what speaks to me.

I understand what you mean, but why black and not using the darker red outside? That would have been what VW had done when they would have stayed with the inverse scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your 2 tone smoothies! Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I understand what you mean, but why black and not using the darker red outside? That would have been what VW had done when they would have stayed with the inverse scheme.

That is a very good question.

I had been seriously considering the darker (cadmium?) red. But I've always had a thing for black steel wheels, especially on VW smoothies with silver brake drums and no hubcaps. I love that look.

But my car is not an oldspeed racer. And the black outers with white inners also looks really good to me, so I'll go with that. Or maybe I'll do one wheel that way, and another all black with the silver drum/no hubcap and see what I like better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: