Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 aircooled engine tear down
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: 2.0 aircooled engine tear down Reply with quote

I finally decided to pull the engine out, after years of hoping all the noises and knocks would go away. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

The engine is original to the van which has 195K Kms on it. It is a stock engine running stock fuel injection. I have been using Brad Penn oil for the last three years and the van is only used in the summer.

According to the PO the case has never been split and it looks like it hasn't now that it is apart. According to the PO he overheated the engine and did a top end rebuild. It must have gotten pretty hot as the aluminum fins in the original heat exchangers had melted Shocked . Included in the top end rebuild were new AMC heads, new Mahle PC's, two used rods, and a used oil pump. I purchased the the van shortly after so it has had about 20K Kms put on it since the top end rebuild. It had decent power, no oil consumption and has been really reliable. The last couple of oil changes I have noticed some copper in the oil filter element along with some plain bearing material. I have also been fighting with lifter issues and have run out of adjustment on the adjusting screws so some of the lifters had little preload. Lately it had developed an intermittent rattle at idle and now that it is cold I noticed a new knocking noise. I decided I should dive in and have a look while there is still something to rebuild.

Most of what I found is normal from what I have seen on the various forums: worn cam and cam bearings, worn lifters, scored rocker shafts, etc. I did find some anomalies such as a badly scored oil pump and odd bearing wear.

Number two bearing shells, now I know where the copper in the filter came from. Would overheating cause this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Number 4 main bearing. All the bearings had this pitting even the cam bearings, what could cause this?

The pistons look good to me though this one has some scratches, will measure them up to be sure. The cylinders still have the cross hatching and don't look worn at all. Reusable?

The crank looks good, may need a grind, some very slight ridges on the number four main. What I am most worried about is the blue coloration, sign of overheating? Should I reuse it?

There was a lot of plain bearing material in the sump along with a washer and with the previous history I think it would be prudent to change the oil cooler. I am planning on reusing the PC's and heads. Will re-ring the pistons and change the valves, guides and hardware on the heads. Not sure what I will do for a cam but I am leaning toward a Jake Raby cam kit at the moment. The case looks good so far, at least the oil pickup boss is not cracked. I have yet to measure anything so there may be more surprises.

Last edited by Mr Brown on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you get it all mic'ed at a good machine shop, start looking for main bearings....

They are getting hard to find anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measured up the case, looks like it will need some work, the #2 main bore is over the limit. The case halves are actually worn smooth (machine marks are gone) at the #2 main saddles and there was a bit of fretting going on. Looks like an align bore is needed. I have another case that needs a bore as well, is this normal for these cases at approx 120000 miles?

Does anyone know if there is a reputable shop in Canada that does align boring on these cases?

Does anyone have an opinion on the blueness of the crank? The journals aren't discolored, maybe that is a good sign?
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Brown wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a reputable shop in Canada that does align boring on these cases?

?

Canada is pretty big. It might help to know where you are. I've lived in a few cities.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your bearings look like they have had metal bits run through them, maybe the oil cooler for full of crap after the first disaster and should have been changed out then.

Your piston looks very low mileage.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Air cool engne Reply with quote

Based on what you have told us, I'm of the opinion that the "over heat" by the Previous Owner really trashed the bearings..... thus the copper showing with the lead babbitt all but gone! HEAT

I split the case on my '83 Air-cooled back in 1998 at 190k miles. The case did not need align bored. It was excellent. The bearings looked okay too! The engine has had nothing but 20w-40 used in it.

I'd say a new set of rings will do fine!

My advice: do not have the heads milled........ increased compression in those engines means more HEAT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The oil cooler is definitely going to be replaced with this rebuild. The pistons only have 12000 miles on them so I am planning on reusing them as is after cleanup and checking the rings for wear, hadn't considered re-ringing but maybe I should at this point.

As for location, I am in the Okanagan so if there is a shop in Vancouver that could align bore that would be easy.
Quote:
My advice: do not have the heads milled........ increased compression in those engines means more HEAT!

The AMC heads only have 12000 miles on them so I will be reusing them as well with new valves, springs, guides, etc. Since the heads do not appear to require any rework beyond replacement of the stock AMC hardware, are the seats considered decent quality or is it recommended to get the seats replaced as well?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Brown wrote:
Thanks for the replies. The oil cooler is definitely going to be replaced with this rebuild. The pistons only have 12000 miles on them so I am planning on reusing them as is after cleanup and checking the rings for wear, hadn't considered re-ringing but maybe I should at this point.

As for location, I am in the Okanagan so if there is a shop in Vancouver that could align bore that would be easy.
Quote:

The AMC heads only have 12000 miles on them so I will be reusing them as well with new valves, springs, guides, etc. Since the heads do not appear to require any rework beyond replacement of the stock AMC hardware, are the seats considered decent quality or is it recommended to get the seats replaced as well?

Get the seats replaced by someone with experience with Type 4 heads. Getting the right interference fit for the seats and heating the heads to the right temperature before installing the seats is what makes a good head.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Valve seats Reply with quote

With only 12000 miles on the heads, unless it was ran hot, why would you replace the seats?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve seats Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
With only 12000 miles on the heads, unless it was ran hot, why would you replace the seats?

In a word, AMC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: