Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Places to camp in Los Angeles?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersooner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15 years ago, I stayed a night in the long term LAX parking lot. Cheap compared to the local RV places. No facilities of course. Might not be as easy now with all the homeland security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately most of Angeles Crest is closed since the big fire last summer. This is the least busy time of year so I would try Malibu Creek or Leo Carrillo state parks but reservations are probably still required.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, do not sleep in your Van DT LA. Bad idea. DT L.A. is a @#$% Hole of crime and theft and disease. But don't miss a trip to Central Market. Having said all of that, Angeles Crest National Forest is 20 mins from DT L.A. Closest campgrounds are roughly 20 mins from the Forest entrance. The coastal campgrounds will be an hour to an hour and a half away. The coast option could be sold out also as the Angeles Forest option should not be.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have camped at most of the state beaches in LA & OC and they are very fine but if you want something cheaper and inland -- when visiting relatives in Walnut we have camped at Prado Regional Park in Chino (16700 Euclid).

Nice & quiet and good freeway access. May catch a whiff of cows (dairy) depending on which way the wind blows. Had to convince them that the Westy was a camper and that we weren't living in a van (that seemed to matter a lot to them).

I have also used the big RV park in Orange -- also worked well but more urban and close-packed than the rural setting at Prado.

Trying to 'camp' right in LA would be more than I could handle. We did recently stay at a motel near LAX -- lodging can be quite reasonable there and they had a secure parking garage plenty tall enough for the Westy. Was it the Travelodge on Century? I think so.

Enjoy SoCal, we always do.
dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is what you are doing then going south to San Clemente, (about 60 miles from down town), their are a couple of camping sites. San Onofre is on the cliffs and San Mateo is a 1/4 mile up from the ocean with a walking, bike path to the beach. this is a world class surf spot as well.

Have Fun, David C
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info! depending on parking and how long we decide to stay, we may not camp. or we may drive the van and camp before and after our visit.
dbcdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A place you can liik into is Dockweiler State Beach. It is at the end of LAX runway on the beach.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=617
Some other places are Bolsa Chica SB and Huntington SB

Have Fun, David C
brexcavator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown LA.. Park in front of the mission. go tell them you have no place to stay and they will let you park there all night. Pretty crappy place to camp, but hey, it is LA. I would follow the above advice and go about an hour north every night. well worth the drive for the sunsets and sunrise. I was raised in LA and Monterey and would never set foot in LA again, but I do miss the drive through Malibu and points North.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could stay at three campsites thats about one hour or less about 25 miles north of santa monica beach

1. Leo carillo campsite 50 minutes $35 per night no hook ups but shower and bathrooms. great surf when the waves are breaking and tide pools.

2. pt. mugu campsite (sycamore)3 miles north of leo carillo. $35 per nite and shower and bathrooms. beautiful hiking and mtn biking trails.

3. Pt. mugu campsite ( thornhill broom )1/4 mile north of sycamore $25 nite no shower and no real bathroom but out houses. right on the beach. you could see the water from your campsite. state highway P.C.H is 400 yards away so little bit noisy. sometimes i camp here then go to one of the other campsite to take a shower.

driving from santa monica to these campsite has one of the nicest 25 miles of ocean scenic drives.

you can go to reserve america and book it on line.

good luck and have a great time. if you need more details you can pm me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GFrank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt try to stay in your van downtown lots of crime, drug addicts and homless on the streets. Also not to many overnight friendly beaches in LA in general. You might find a Good Sam or somthing like that in Santa Monica or Venice not to far from DT. Down here in Orange County
there is several beaches but its a 1hr drive to say Bolsa Chica.
Keep searching on the internet

Good luck Merry X-Mas
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Places to camp in Los Angeles? Reply with quote

we are visiting family who live in Los Angeles during the Christmas break. right down town, loft in old banking district. they park in a garage, but there is a parking lot very near. being a country cousin, I don't know what to do. we'd love to drive and stay in the westy and make it a bit of an adventure... getting there, not while we are there. I don't want to pop the top in a parking garage or a lot. I think they live fairly close to a couple of beaches, and I've done a search for suggestions about that. I'm not familiar with the logistics or area. something may sound good but be 3 hrs away because of traffic. so, any advice on "rv-ing" in LA please? (if there is such a thing!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: