Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear vents on back side glass
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfer d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Rear vents on back side glass Reply with quote

I have an 88 Vanagon GL, which i am super stoked about purchasing this past September. A few times sleeping in it, when it's windy outside i here a flapping noise coming from each of the vents. Not the engine vents, the ones that look like they are apart of the side glass. I looked inside and at the top can see what looks like a rubber flap over some foam. Is there an effective way to stop that from flapping? keeps me up all night. I thought of some type of epoxy and trying to to glue it, but that seems like just a bandaid fix. Any ideas?
vanaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those flaps are part of your ventilation system, you don't want to permanently close them.
You could cover the inner or outer holes with tape, perhaps?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rubber flap is what allows those vents to work. If you were to glue them they would be rendered useless.

The flaps are light rubber and lift with very light air pressure from the inside. Perhaps you were parked with your nose to the wind and the front vents or windows were open. This might cause the flaps to lift. Otherwise I could see it might be possible for the flaps to flutter a bit if parked with the tail end into the wind. I would think this scenario is the least likely of the two. Regardless, try camping in it in a non-windy location and see if it still occurs. It may be that it was a onetime occurrence.
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scenario illustrates the pros and cons of the rear window vents. i at first wanted them to reduce wind noise at the front door edge by installing the air dam. and its Later so it must be better right. well i do some cold weather camping and the idea of that flap flapping or even staying open letting cold air in is not so good. id still like to have tem, only with a cap i could apply to the inside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: