Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Epoxy vs Welding
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumb_doggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Epoxy vs Welding Reply with quote

I'm in the process of a body off heater channel replacement. I was practicing with my new MIG welder yesterday when the thought ocurred to me... They use glues and epoxies to hold airplanes together these days, has anyone replaced a heater channel using JB Weld, or some other epoxy?
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert but here goes:
Airplanes need to be as light as possible and are not designed for crash worthiness. Our cars are. The heater channel is the main structual support. If you jb weld it, what happens in a crash?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are some good structural adhesives I think that the consensus will be you will want to weld the heater channels in. I've used body adhesive for example when replacing a lower door skin on my nephew's Chevy and other things similar and it works great but my fear would be on a heater channel you'd really need it to be "as one" with the body in case of trouble.

I've done floor pans "in the field" with 3-M Superfast Eurethane and aircraft rivets every 8" along the flange and this had held up well for almost 20 years.
dumb_doggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Epoxy vs welding Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Those were pretty much my feeling too, guess I was just wondering if there was some super tech glue/weld/epoxy that I hadn't heard of yet.

Back to my scrap heap and some more welding practice.
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Epoxy vs welding Reply with quote

dumb_doggy wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Those were pretty much my feeling too, guess I was just wondering if there was some super tech glue/weld/epoxy that I hadn't heard of yet.

Back to my scrap heap and some more welding practice.

keep practicing. its worth it. try making over lapping C's so it looks like CCCCC or over lapping O's OOOO and keep your wire in the puddle and the puddle moving but not to fast.
Cheapo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
I'm not an expert

You should have stopped right there, because you obviously have no clue what it takes to get an aiplane certified. Please stop spreading your ignorance as fact. Thank you.
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use epoxy myself.
we are not working on airplanes so who cares what the facts are on that...go to the "whos a pilot"thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic rule of thumb - When working on old technology, use old technology. When working on new technology, use new technology.

A lot of cars are glued together in todays production practice, but you need to remember, the entire package is designed to work that way.

We are dealing with older technology and build practices and nothing was designed with glueing in mind.

Follow the practices used when the car was built and you will retain it's integrity and it's value.
Ghoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure!!

When I was in the Air Force, we used various mixtures of duct tape and speed tape to keep the C-141's in the air!! Worked like a charm.

Little known fact: we had special tool kits that did not include duct tape...but did indeed have left-handed screw drivers and metric hammers.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapo wrote:
swhitcomb wrote:
I'm not an expert

You should have stopped right there, because you obviously have no clue what it takes to get an aiplane certified. Please stop spreading your ignorance as fact. Thank you.

So mr high horse, i am wrong, airplanes aren't built to be light? Someone better tell northrup then. If your post doesn't help anyone, or answer the question asked, why spend the time to type it? I don't remember the op asking what it took to get an aircraft certified anyway.
And btw, i have replaced heater channels before, so although i am not a certified aircraft mechanic, i do have a basic understanding of what i am talking about.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oibovveroi wrote:
I would not use epoxy myself.
we are not working on airplanes so who cares what the facts are on that...go to the "whos a pilot"thread.

I'm sure someone said that the first time someone mentioned making pistons that move sideways too. There is never a reason to mock an honest attempt at innovation.

Feel free to disprove it, but shooting down an idea simply because someone is not an expert is not intelligent.
MrUnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with using epoxy is it's bonding properties, particularly with a non-porous material like metal. Sure, it will stick, but nothing anywhere like the bond that you get with a weld where the metals are actually fused together. I guess you _could_ use an epoxy if you took your time and prepared the areas properly, but I wouldn't trust it half as much as I would trust a weld, particularly on a structural area.

Cheers,
Brad
discochris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used professional body panel adhesive for patch panels before. I just did one under my fender, because I didn't want to pull the fuel tank, and I didn't want to weld that close to the tank. This is the really expensive stuff that uses a special applicator gun. I would not use it on a heater channel though - maybe if you were patching a small hole or something, but not to attach a whole channel - that would be bad news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
twotires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject - not trying to hijack this thread - but I'm curious to know if panel adhesives will bond on top of paint -

I want to remove the sheet metal piece that holds the decklid hinges, then paint the car (getting up in behind those vents under the rear window) then panel adhesive the decklid hinge piece back in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baja Champ SE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "stop spreading your ignorance as fact" a new burn that I'm not aware of?

I've seen it in like 3 or 4 posts in the past week...or maybe it's the same person that likes to step on everyone who has an honest question or comment. Rolling Eyes

Can we keep this place a little more civilized than the real world.

And my motto is "do it right the first time," so I'd have to say go with the German way (aka welding).

SOLD
-1969 Deluxe Bus "Warhaul" aka "Project Whitestock"

Air Speed VW Club of So Cal
Member Since July 2007
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thes Samba is quaint with its "Lord of the Flies"tribal atmosphere...I like the way the late model owners are looked down upon... like we are not allowed to supper with the gods....And the shamless groveling to the ancients,and the pettiness...God if our mothers could see how we act on here....
planefixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a licensed aircraft mechanic. I work on part 121 transport category planes. Been working on them for 10 years. All epoxy’s we use, Even Ciba Fastweld 10 would eventually melt with enough heat, Therefore, I would avoid them structurally.

Oh and by the way, the comment "planes are not designed for crash worthiness" is not true, Planes have crumple zones, just like cars.
2010 "VW" Routan- Traded in for Atlas.
1977 Bus. 2.0 F.I. GD- SOLD.
2001 BMW 325I- RIP.
1967 Beetle - Sold
2001 Jetta GLS -Sold
2001 Cabrio - Sold
1987 Porsche 944S- Sold
1986 Porsche 944- Sold
72 SB Vert- Sold
71 SB Vert- Sold

Titusville FL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planefixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twotires wrote:
While we're on the subject - not trying to hijack this thread - but I'm curious to know if panel adhesives will bond on top of paint -

I want to remove the sheet metal piece that holds the decklid hinges, then paint the car (getting up in behind those vents under the rear window) then panel adhesive the decklid hinge piece back in.

Keep in mind the adhesive is only as strong as whats underneath it. So if the paint lifts, so does your hinge....
2010 "VW" Routan- Traded in for Atlas.
1977 Bus. 2.0 F.I. GD- SOLD.
2001 BMW 325I- RIP.
1967 Beetle - Sold
2001 Jetta GLS -Sold
2001 Cabrio - Sold
1987 Porsche 944S- Sold
1986 Porsche 944- Sold
72 SB Vert- Sold
71 SB Vert- Sold

Titusville FL.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Thes Samba is quaint with its "Lord of the Flies"tribal atmosphere...I like the way the late model owners are looked down upon... like we are not allowed to supper with the gods....And the shamless groveling to the ancients,and the pettiness...God if our mothers could see how we act on here....

"Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"
MrUnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
"Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"

Depends on if you are the hunter or the hunted Smile

Cheers,
Brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: