Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

[quote="campingbox"]
perello wrote:

Thanks!

Why did your guy feel riveted brake shoes were unsafe?

I would trust 10 mechanical fasteners over any type of glue any day.

I think the advantage of bonded shoes over riveted shoes is that they are faster to install and you can make use of the entire pad thickness before you experience any metal on metal contact.

I've heard that riveted shoes dissipate heat better, wonder if it's true?

I can't count the number of times I've seen where a bonded shoe has failed when I've needed to pull the drum on a bus which has sat out in the woods for a number of years.

I wonder if the old asbestos linings will stop better than the low carb version you can buy today from various parts suppliers?

Sure! asbestos lining do much better.....they just happen to be...unhealthy. As long as you are aware its ok.

An experienced relining drum brake mechanic told me that rivets tend to develop play if you dont do them perfectly...a compromise would be rivets + glue.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Ok. I am not really worried about the rivets coming loose but I'll check them out during service intervals. I have the right clincher and backer to install them.

The rivets measure .156" diameter x .290" long.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

many thanks for the measurements
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Wow, nice writeup on the tranny. Do you know are most internals same as bug or are there bus specific parts?
Seeing as how my December 1955 single cab tranny was only partly bolted in when I began working on it, it seems like a good time to pop it apart and see what we have, replacing boots, seals, bearing if it needs it.
Did you find a procedure for stretching the boots on? I bought some new seamless ones. Seems like a good idea. I see somebody makes a MODERN tool for use on newer cars.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

BTW, back in about 1971-73, I worked in a shop and turned drum and arced the brake shoes to fit. Wow that grinding stuff smelled so nice!
In general I think the asbestos thing was completely overblown. The main danger was to the people at JM that made stuff from asbestos.
And those that GROUND IT.
Maybe some of that $30 billion has my name on it?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
matt.white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

@Campingbox - I've just read this thread from beginning to end, and am left with the obvious question - is this finished?

I would really like to see some more photos of this being finished (or where in the resto process you've got to)?
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
The bus has never had a deadline to finish it, so I always figured why rush it.

That comment is from Sunday, Nov 28, 2010. Patiently waiting over here!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

FWIW, since Greg's last post in this thread in 2018, we moved from Washington state to California, to a 1907 farmhouse with 1907 barn and a couple acres which could use some repair and tidying up.

Oddly enough, it seems that forward progress on our bus projects has slowed to a glacial pace in the same time frame. Think
matt.white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yellow & Tan '56 Subhatch Westy - 20-147419 Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
FWIW, since Greg's last post in this thread in 2018, we moved from Washington state to California, to a 1907 farmhouse with 1907 barn and a couple acres which could use some repair and tidying up.

Oddly enough, it seems that forward progress on our bus projects has slowed to a glacial pace in the same time frame. Think

Thanks for the update @Clara, that sounds like an awesome project you've taken on, and seeing the attention to detail on this Westy, I simply cant imagine how he is applying that to a 1907 farmhouse! Good Luck!

If any progress is made on the subhatch, please remind Greg he has a waiting audience on this thread Very Happy ! It is a seriously cool project...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: