Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where to mount a generator?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flahernando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: where to mount a generator? Reply with quote

I am going to be gutting the van soon and remodeling the interior. I will need new wiring and a circuit breaker panel all of which doesnt pose a problem. I do want 120 for the interior power so I want to mount a smaller probably one of the Honda quiet gas powered generator
Here is what I am thinking. I want to run a flex plastic pipe say 3 inch up to the side vent on the pass rear. There I want it to pull exclusively on say the lower three slots. That should be more than enough air for the engine intake on the 1.9. The rest would work as original design as far as air flow is concerned. I want to mount the Honda behind the pass taillight assembly in the open spot. Once the generator is there it wont be open at all, very crowded is more like it but I think I can get it to fit in that spot and run the fuel feed to a T near the tank.
Can anyone tell me why I shouldnt mount it there? I mean as to the extra heat or the air flow restriction will be bad and cause **** whatever. I have removed the power steering pump and will be pulling the fittings and hose with the resoviour and there seems to be enough room for air circulation, but thats a guess on my part.
Any ideas where I can mount a small size generator that will be outside the van, protected from weather and theft?
I considered the plate on the bumper in a box but that is just ugly and would be more of a hindrance and cause difficulty raising the hatch or in front restrict air flow to the rad and still be ugly.
Open to ideas, thanks
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A generator!? That sounds interesting. can you add a link to check it out?
Have you consider a rear spare tire carrier and installing the generator in front where the spare resided?

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I like about my Westy Weekender Camper is how simple it is to camp in.
PNWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one of the small Honda generators. If we were to use it with the Westy we'd just run it on the ground away from the van. I suppose in that case we'd only be using it in primitive camping where theft wouldn't be an issue. Only place I could see mounting it would be on a luggage type rear platform rack, but as pointed out above would just get in the way. Maybe something on the luggage rack.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are pretty familiar with vans and systems, but I would still ask "why" - why 120 and why a mounted generator to lug around 24/7?

Assuming you must, I would consider a modular approach, fixing the generator in such a way that you would attach it only when you need it. It can still be secure and safe, but unless you have a roaming foo-foo cocktail van with multiple blenders running 24/7, it seems excessive to mount up a system. Actually, I would still not mount a generator in that scenario. Storing a small unit (as the previous poster mentioned) that you can just throw outside, away from the van - that sounds like a perfectly simple and elegant solution.

Elegance...that term was seized by shitty furniture makers in the '70s and '80s, and it has finally been taken back. Think about elegance in your modifications and upgrades. The Vanagon design and functionality is reasonably elegant, and your modifications should be as well. Also consider the Homer when fantasizing about all the things a Vanagon CAN do:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That all sounds preachy, those are just the thoughts I consider every time I dream up a new modification. If I can hide it away from sight, I sometimes give a pass on my excessively un-elegant ideas. There are a few nooks and crannies for said modifications. I new plate steel bumper can house all kinds of crap. You have some decent space under the dash, and some spots under the van, but...

Anyway, interested to hear about your ideas and implementation.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a practical sense, the air flow through the passenger D-pillar is crucial to reduce engine compartment heat (not necessarily engine heat) in the summer. I once tried storing a tool box and rags etc. in there and it roasted. Rather, I roasted.

Moreover, I don't think an eu1000 would fit in there. If you've measured and it will, ok.

I've toyed with the idea of mounting a generator in the spare tire space but after every off road trip think better of it, due to the vibrations that poor thing would suffer.

There was a thread some time ago about making a generator to fit inside the driver battery box, don't know how it left off.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at rockymountainwesty site, they have a rear swing out made for jerry cans-bbq or tire carrier. you can fold it up when not in use. I have a eu2000 and i thought about carrying my generator there and make a cage or a enclosure so it would be theft proof. I also have a nice cover for the inverter made of canvas, so it hides the inverter. I think this might be the best way to go. When not in use you could just leave it at home and when you do use it you can still have access to the hatch.

the bag come in different colors. mine is navy blue.

Last edited by whynotvw on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are handy, there is quite a bit of space under the van above the transmission. You could fabricate a custom bracket to hold the Honda invertor. These were built with internal fuel tanks that gravity fed to the carb. You could bypass the tank I suppose, but would need a small auxilary pump "t'd" into the supply side of the stock fuel pump. It would also need a small check valve to keep the FI pump from sucking fuel and air back when the engine was running. All in all, it seems like a lot of work. The 1000 is small and light weight. We have a 3000 for hurricane preparedness. I like the idea of just finding a convenient place to store it and set it up away from the van when you are camping. Just curious, I notice you are in Florida. Are you planning to run a small AC unit off of it?
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A generator is handy to have for 120, but why mount it in the Van? It seems that the vibration and sound of would annoy, Long cord with the Gen in the bushes 20-30 feet away would be my play.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"

Last edited by VanWilder on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
A generator is handy to have for 120, but why mount it the Van? It seems that the vibration and sound of would annoy, Long cord with the Gen in the bushes 20-30 feet away would be my play.

But a 120 what? I'm not being a dick, just wondering what people do in their vans, what kind of devices you have running things, ya know? I found a 12v blender, as well as a 2 stroke blender (so awesome). My $60 300w sine inverter switches my TV, 'puter and battery charger (with batteries that power everything else). Perhaps a heater? Spotlight? Hot tub?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
VanWilder wrote:
A generator is handy to have for 120, but why mount it the Van? It seems that the vibration and sound of would annoy, Long cord with the Gen in the bushes 20-30 feet away would be my play.

But a 120 what? I'm not being a dick, just wondering what people do in their vans, what kind of devices you have running things, ya know? I found a 12v blender, as well as a 2 stroke blender (so awesome). My $60 300w sine inverter switches my TV, 'puter and battery charger (with batteries that power everything else). Perhaps a heater? Spotlight? Hot tub?

Good point I run an Inverter and batts for every other little thing.
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that live and camp in hot, buggy, humid areas, an air conditioner would be a nice luxury. The trade off is you are limited to camping in sites with power. The generator would allow you to camp in more primitive/nicer areas. Other than that, my 12 volt inverter works fine for the little things mentioned.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My use for a generator would be emergencies: you get stuck way offroad someplace, no cell signal, snow, etc. and a generator would keep the propex and the lights running for a couple of weeks. Other than that, not really necessary if you have a few batteries.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: